Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

going to card shows, trying to haggle

Just wondering, when you guys go to shows do you try and haggle with the dealers? If so, is there an amount that the card/item has to be over, is there a breaking point to where a buyer is crossing the line?

I went to a show this morning and tried to talk a $2.50 card down to $1.50 and basically insulted the dealer and nearly got into an argument with him.

You guys think I was out of line with my offer?

Comments

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    You did nothing wrong.

A few general rules I have when I go to a place like that:
    1. It never hurts to ask.
    2. Be the nicer person.
    3. Paying asking price anywhere but a store is for suckers (generally)
    4. Some people are a-holes. We move on.
  • Options
    Amen.

You know, Davis, if it wasn't for the eyesore of a logo next to your name, I'd really start thinking you were a good guy!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You did nothing wrong.

A few general rules I have when I go to a place like that:
    1. It never hurts to ask.
    2. Be the nicer person.
    3. Paying asking price anywhere but a store is for suckers (generally)
    4. Some people are a-holes. We move on. >>

Good solid advice. I agree that if you don't ask you never know what you can buy it for. I think you always need to be polite and courteous no matter what the other person is like. If you encounter a rude dealer I would move on to the next table. Plenty of others to deal with out there.

If I am buying multiple cards I always ask if they can do better if I buy more than one,many cards they can work with me on... I think a smart seller always pads their price a little bit so they can work price a little bit.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Hey...at least he didn't break out the Beckett guide on you and offer to selling you his VG/EX card for half of high book! (or did he?) image
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I always try to live by the saying "kill them with kindness" until it's time TO NOT BE NICE! Lol (Guess which 80's movie that's from).
    So I kept my cool but it was almost getting awkward after I said I'd give him 1.50. He said something to the effect of, "I try and help you out and now you want more taken off." I kind of felt that was uncalled for and at any point he could have just said no thank you. But in the end I thanked him (multiple times) and told him I apreciate the fact that he gave me the card for 2.00 and we shook hands.

I agree with you all, As far as I'm concerned Unless it's a set corporate price it's always a good idea to ask for a discount.

Thanks again guys!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey...at least he didn't break out the Beckett guide on you and offer to selling you his VG/EX card for half of high book! (or did he?) image >>

Lol thankfully no. I probably would have just walked away. The card is in poor condition and originally had a $25 sticker on it. He kept trying to tell me that it's already discounted as if it was worth 25 and he just discounted it 90% for fun.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the card was marked $25 and you got it for $2?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old XX price "marked down" to XX...one of the oldest dealer tricks in the book, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Some times they will offer a discount when they total up. But if they don't I will ask. We all know when they price cards they expect others to ask for a better price. The dealer could have had just a crap morning or he is an a -hole or maybe a little of each. When I come across guys like that I just never go back to there tables.
  • Options
    Never hurts to ask
  • Options
    It may help to tell what card it was lol. It was a 1953 topps forest main in poor condition. The card was in the cheap bin which was marked 90% off. The sticker said $25 and was crossed off and under it said 2.50. It was in no way a $25 card not to me at least. The card was 2.50 and I got it for 2.00.

• Options
    You can't be the first this dealer has dealt with trying to save a little on the purchase price. If he marked it down 90% what does he expect.

His terrible pricing strategy is what led to your offer.

• Options
    Just curious dpeck, what do you mean "terrible pricing strategy?"
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Never pay retail at a card show.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>The old XX price "marked down" to XX...one of the oldest dealer tricks in the book, lol.. >>

Every so often a card dealer and by card dealer I mean a guy who just does shows and has no clue what selling online means sells me a decent sized lot of cards for a really good price. I can't tell you how often I've chuckled at the prices he has on the top loaders of most of these cards. I routinely sell his "$25 cards" for 3 or 4 bucks on ebay.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's part of the fun of collecting.
    When you go to a show or anywhere
    else, buying, selling, or trading involves
    negotiating !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious dpeck, what do you mean "terrible pricing strategy?" >>

A card marked at $25 and then 90% off. Why stop at 90% then if I am a buyer? If you are willing to discount it $22.50 what is another buck?

Hence the interest in haggling on price.

It has been some time since I have been to a show and I do recall seeing bins with a price marked on them and any card or pack in the bin is priced in that manner. If he doesn't want some haggling put whatever price he is selling them on the bin and say cards are for sale at the price marked.

I think most people are trained to think that unless an item is just scorching hot there is some wiggle room. I am not even certain if someone like you wouldn't haggle if the bin was clearly marked in one manner but trying to show a deep discount to influence a purchase isn't the way to keep someone from haggling. It just encourages it. It also reduces your trust immediately in this person as it feels like they are trying to get over on you and insult your intelligence.

• Options
    $25

This guy is trying it too. Haha

Under a buck

Looks like your $1.50 offer was a solid one! All in for a $1.55 on this one.

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Amen.

You know, Davis, if it wasn't for the eyesore of a logo next to your name, I'd really start thinking you were a good guy! >>

Haha...well some things I can't change. It'll be interesting what UM Bball team shows up today against msu. MSU got a big hockey win the other night...one that UM need more for making the tourney...lotta season left tho. But we can both agree that it was a real nice W over the isles yesterday. The kids continue to impress. Nyquist and Tatar...maybe 75 goals together this year. ..awesome. Welp..this sports talk just fired me up to get the smoker going...
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid in elementary school I's sell comics to my peers. I used the price gun in my dad's pet shop and marked them $9,999.99. I found this to be an effective way to squeeze an extra quarter or two out of someone's ice cream funds.

Good advice from Davis, Charrigan and others.

• Options
    jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$25

This guy is trying it too. Haha

Under a buck

Looks like your $1.50 offer was a solid one! All in for a $1.55 on this one. >>

Hmm that 53 Forrest Main has a "pristine back". image
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always said it never hurts to ask. On the flip side, I could see why a dealer would be put off by something haggling over a $2.50 card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Haggling over $1 on a $2.50 card?? image I'm not rich, nor am I modest, but I would be too embarrassed to make that offer. If you were interested at $2.50 is it a bigger score at $1.50? So you would have saved a buck. Big Whoop! At $2, sounds like you made out like a raped ape. LOL!
  • Options

<< <i>I've always said it never hurts to ask. On the flip side, I could see why a dealer would be put off by something haggling over a $2.50 card. >>

I expected some backlash, so I'm glad you said it first, but arguing over $0.50? Get a grip and get off the wallet.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    0.50 may not seem like a lot, but when you're putting together and curating a collection of hundreds or thousands of cards, it adds up.

Any reputable dealer/seller/human should know this and not come off as rude and unprofessional when someone asks for a better deal (even if only a few cents).

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭
    I think your first mistake might asking for a better deal. I usually go with the 'that's all I got' approach. First I Acknowledge their 1988 Topps card is worth every penny of $50 because after all there are a dozen on eBay with higher asking prices. But then I explain $2 cash is all I have left, and ask the dealer if he will accept it.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    This is easily my favorite thread of 2015 so far.

Lee
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers expect people to make offers on their cards. Most don't get worked up on buyers making a reasonable offer. It's the people who make absurd offers that get under dealers skin as they're wasting everyone's time.

Some guys are just crummy to deal whether as a seller or a buyer. You'll get beat up coming and going. They try to get the best of everyone, but are known as losers in the industry because of their lack of character.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Only a desperate tightwad would haggle on a $2.50 card.

To the buyer/haggler..... it's called, time to get a higher paying job.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask politely for a deal, but I would suggest you save those offers up on more
    more expensive cards, maybe cards priced north of $50 and higher.

As a seller, I can't stand haggling. I know how to grade and I've researched my prices.
    I don't mark up my cards, to then mark them down in a negotiation with a tightwad.

If a buyer buys more than one card from me and they're friendly, I will offer them a discount 90% of time as a seller even
    if they didn't ask for a deal. It's called the nice person discount.

If the buyer is surly, disrespectful, annoying, looking at cards and purposefully putting them back in disorder, those buyers
    get no discount. You have to be tactful if you want to try to wheel and deal in this hobby, and after 40+ years of
    collecting and 20+ years of selling, I have to say very few have this ability.

I find it curious how some buyers feel like they're doing a seller a favor by spending money at their table.
    It's a two-way street. With no dealers, there's no buyers, and vice versa.

As a buyer, I have asked for a better deal many times, but this was usually on an item price way over the market for the
    condition.

If someone asked me for a deal on a $2 card, they would just get a cold stare.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The professional thing to do in this instance would be for the dealer to excuse himself saying he must use the bathroom, taking the card with him. When the dealer returns he hands the card to the collector saying, "now you can have it for $1.50." The collector is happy, the dealer is happy, it's a win win for both.
  • Options

<< <i>Only a desperate tightwad would haggle on a $2.50 card.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask politely for a deal, but I would suggest you save those offers up on more

As a seller, I can't stand haggling. I know how to grade and I've researched my prices.
    I don't mark up my cards, to then mark them down in a negotiation with a tightwad.

If a buyer buys more than one card from me and they're friendly, I will offer them a discount 90% of time as a seller even

I find it curious how some buyers feel like they're doing a seller a favor by spending money at their table.
    It's a two-way street. >>

I am a tightwad!

I'm a stay at home dad with a very limited allowance

Why does there have to be a magic number for haggling to be accepted?

Maybe you're the minority that actually marks cards fairly and accurately as I've seen most dealers at this show price their cards high average and in many cases way over.

Although I only bought one card I was very polite. And I don't expect any deals when I buy cards but I try.

You're right, it's a two way street. This dealer actually told me he was trying to "help me out" BEFORE he sold the card to me for 2.00. How the hell is he helping me out? If thats not the ultimate car salesman line then I don't know what is.

It's kind of funny, I still feel I overpaid for this poor example of a card. The cards were stacked up in a shoebox with rubberbands around each stack.
    I agree with dpeck, if he wanted to sell at his sticker price then maybe he should have clarified before negotiating began but I don't necessarily fault him for this, I just saw it as opportunity. If I knew our interaction was going to go down the way it did I wouldn't have bought the card at all. And actually, I should have said I'm sorry if you took my offer as an insult, let's just forget about it and shoulda walked away. I regret that now.
    I'm not some cheeseball that struts into these shows looking to rip people off, I don't lowball lowball and try and piss people off. In fact, I've only bought 5 cards (all under $40 except a mantle which I paid sticker price) in the 3 years I've been attending this show.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    There are still card shows?
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the advice guys.

I always try to live by the saying "kill them with kindness" until it's time TO NOT BE NICE! Lol (Guess which 80's movie that's from).
    So I kept my cool but it was almost getting awkward after I said I'd give him 1.50. He said something to the effect of, "I try and help you out and now you want more taken off." I kind of felt that was uncalled for and at any point he could have just said no thank you. But in the end I thanked him (multiple times) and told him I apreciate the fact that he gave me the card for 2.00 and we shook hands.

I agree with you all, As far as I'm concerned Unless it's a set corporate price it's always a good idea to ask for a discount.

Thanks again guys! >>

the movie is Roadhouse??
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem with haggling is that unfortunately, sometimes someone will take what they deem as a very poor offer personal. It is business, not personal, but that is they way some people take it. And, since we are talking about a group that has a bad reputation as seriously lacking in personal skills, it is not surprising. Just look at the response a few posts above.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    oh and I would haggle over a 2.50 card if it was a set I was working on with a budget, why not the worse that should happen is he says no and you either buy it or pass on it. the best you work out a deal and maybe pick some thing else up.

how do you know what the dealer would actually take if you don't ask. your at a card show the sticker price is never the final price depending on the card and time of day. if it is that dealer will probably have those cards a long time. his prerogative.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>The biggest problem with haggling is that unfortunately, sometimes someone will take what they deem as a very poor offer personal. It is business, not personal, but that is they way some people take it. And, since we are talking about a group that has a bad reputation as seriously lacking in personal skills, it is not surprising. Just look at the response a few posts above. >>

+2.50
    Very true.

House...road house
    Baseballfan was correct.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a dealer doesn't want to have to deal with people haggling over low dollar cards, he/she shouldn't put low dollar cards out on the table, or if they insist on doing so, put them in a box that says "Prices Firm - No Discounts" or something to that effect.

It is a reasonable assumption otherwise that all prices, no matter how large or small, are negotiable.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

If the buyer is surly, disrespectful, annoying, looking at cards and purposefully putting them back in disorder, those buyers
    get no discount. You have to be tactful if you want to try to wheel and deal in this hobby, and after 40+ years of

As a buyer, I have asked for a better deal many times, but this was usually on an item price way over the market for the
    condition.

If someone asked me for a deal on a $2 card, they would just get a cold stare. >>

Based on my experience dealers setting up at shows aren't really serious about selling. They are only there because being on the other side of the table gives them the right to buy/trade items at a discount. I'm sure there are some exceptions but I've yet to come across them.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Bet no one had a problem with Marvin haggling with them.
  • Options
    When I set up at shows, my goal is to sell my cards, not to take them back home with me. If I had a $25 BV card that was beat up and priced at $2.50, I would jump at the chance to sell it for $1.50. Chances are good that this same customer would then make offers on more of my cards and I might end up with some nice sales.

• Options
    Sorry, duplicate post
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

condition.

If someone asked me for a deal on a $2 card, they would just get a cold stare. >>

Best post of the thread and 100% spot on.^^

This reminds me of a fellow coin dealer who also did stamps who was set up next to us at a coin show.
    He had a box of cheap 50 cent stamps at his table (mistake #1). So this guy sits down, spreads out catalogs and lists all over the top of the adjoining showcase and whips out a magnifying glass, spending over half an hour going through each thing in the box- and in the end he finds... one stamp.
    He then hands it to the dealer and asks..."would you take 20 cents for this?"
    The dealer looked at it, tore it in half and said "Sure, now I will"... image

The point? Other people's time, investment and overhead all have value.

We like to think that we price things fairly, especially cheap stuff (because there's no margin in it to begin with...thus you have to sell volume to make any money). So, in general if it's under $10 in value it's usually priced at our net. As others have stated, if someone's buying quantity then if we can save them a little we will-but we aren't going to waste a lot of time playing 'let's make a deal' with low end stuff... especially if it's someone with the mindset of "whatever it's priced, they can always go less" who feels all sellers owe them something and acts like he's negotiating a Microsoft buyout.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012