Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little feedback on the Registry Digital Album

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
Kudos to PCGS for implementing several recent changes to their Registry software. Together with the new "Shop" feature, these changes are incredibly functional, well-planned, and well-executed.

It took me about 15 minutes to create a digital album from my Peace Dollar Registry set. It helped that I already had high-quality images of each coin already uploaded into the registry software. Each was photographed and formatted using a consistent format. Once you have that, it's a simple matter to move and resize the photos to fill the circle provided on the Digital Album template.

You can see the finished product of my album here.

There are a couple of ideas though that would make this even better. Inside the front page a space is provided for the owner to create comments. The text box can be edited to include paragraphs:

In the final product, however, all the paragraphs run together in a single string of text:

Second, when viewing the digital album, an enlarged view of the coin in question is produced. This is a cool feature. The "exploded view" of my 22-S is shown:

If you click on a coin, the original photo will be displayed, but only the photo is shown. Anything entered in the "Owner's Comments section" of the Registry entry is not displayed:

When viewing photos from the "usual" registry page, the photo and the Owner's comments are displayed, which is a nice feature:

Finally, when I used the "Print" button from the digital album to save my work as an Adobe file, something was "lost in translation":

Comments

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fullscreen view for the album would be a great addition.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good feedback Bryce. I have the same issue with my images when opening the .pdf, it appears to be only user images as the TrueView and other PCGS source images (Coin Facts) are not affected.

For the sake of putting this feedback in a single consolidated location, I'll mention that I sent BJ a PM this morning with the following:

Would it be possible to make the albums auto populate with the same cropped images if the coin appears in multiple albums? After taking the time to get the images cropped and centered appropriately, it would seem that it would not be necessary to do so for the same coin for multiple sets in which it appears.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice presentation of the "Ladies" Bryce.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the share button working for anyone? I have tried it in two different browsers and nothing seems to happen. Is that how you save your album in a file?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent feedback. I noticed when I printed mine (saved to a PDF), it only shows the coin with a TrueView image and the others I have entered it shows "ERROR1". I may need to get more TrueViews, but really do not want them for coins that I will eventually replace.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the share button working for anyone? I have tried it in two different browsers and nothing seems to happen. Is that how you save your album in a file? >>

If you share it a symbol shows up next to your set name in the registry allowing a viewer to click on it to open the album.

JH
  • Options
    How do you save it to your computer then?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you save it to your computer then? >>

I used the printer icon to see if I could print it to a .pdf and at that point it automatically creates a .pdf that it prints from. All you should need to do is save that .pdf to your computer.
  • Options
    When I hit print I keep getting an error....
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tv with label needs treatment

If templated and all coins are the same height
    Then perhaps working off the label can be accomplished by image height - coin height and move the image in a fixed window sprite style

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Really well done, Bryce! Agree with all of your suggestions.

I found that the "auto-fill TrueView" button did not work for my album, many of which had TrueViews.
    Would love to be able to add the only NGC holdered coin I own to the album but I guess I'll have to get it crossed to include it in the Box of 20.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be possible to make the albums auto populate with the same cropped images if the coin appears in multiple albums? After taking the time to get the images cropped and centered appropriately, it would seem that it would not be necessary to do so for the same coin for multiple sets in which it appears. >>

Great idea!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file