Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

big dog.... the 1974 Wonderbread Magic Trick set

I started this set a couple years ago and of course have been looking for this card for the entire time..... this week I finally landed one to complete my registry set.

It's only a PSA 4 but that still makes it the third highest graded card out of only 5 ever submitted. The set is highly regarded because it prominently features the 1970's Harlem Globetrotters but I think the real four gems in the set are the Fred rookie, the Shaggy rookie, the Sccoby and Daphne rookie card and of course the big dog below scooby checklist.

1974 Wonder Magic trick set

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Ryan! Card certainly presents much nicer than a 4!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think the Scrappy card ruins the chemistry of the rest of the set.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    meddling kid.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Scrappy card ruins the chemistry of the rest of the set. >>

Overhyped and never panned out. Kevin Maas without the early success.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I have never seen this set before .

Interesting . Congratulations image on your finding and completing this set . ---- Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on completing the set Ryan.

Sure looks better than a 4.

Mike
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats, Ryan! Card certainly presents much nicer than a 4! >>

Thanks Tim, and everyone else too for that matter! It does look great for a 4 but I think the main challenge with these cards is that since they came in a loaf of wonder bread the staining and discoloration can have a pretty negative effect on the grades.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set.

What is the back story on the checklist being so hard to find? Most were marked or thrown out?

<< <i>Cool set.

What is the back story on the checklist being so hard to find? Most were marked or thrown out? >>

That's a good question. My theory is they were printed in smaller numbers and sent out first to announce the coming of the set but not issued in large numbers with the set. Some were definately marked up but of the 5 graded one was marked. Now in saying that this for as awesome of a collectible set I think it is the top graded card only has a pop of 15 so any card 8 and higher is fairly uncommon. Most are stained, marked and in PSA 5 or less condition.

The reasons I think it's an under appreciated set:

1. It has the early 1970s Harlem Globetrotters
    2. the first card appearance of Scooby doo, shaggy, Fred, daphne, and Velma
    3. plus the Adams family cards
    4. The cards show a magic trick on the back...every one loves magic tricks!
    Well it looks like a year since I finished my first 1974 Wonderbread Magic Trick set and today I was lucky enough to pick up the number one registry set too:

Scooby doo Magic trick set

I'm a big Scooby doo fan but surprisingly it looks like in the last 40 years I'm the only one collecting this set now, which I find surprising.

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    I must've missed this thread a year ago--great set!! I have the set raw, picked it up on the cheap along with a bunch of nice other hostess/wonder bread sets about 10 years ago from a guy who worked for hostess/wonder bread in the 70's. I don't think I knew the checklist even existed until tonight when I saw your original post from January 2015; I also remember pulling these cards from loaves of wonder bread as a six year old back in the day and loved the colorful artwork and the magic tricks on the back too--thanks for posting!
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I had never heard of this set before - looks like an awesome one to collect.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I loved Scooby-Doo growing up. Even recorded eps on VHS. This is my first time seeing any Scooby Doo cards. I bought a box of He-Man cards and collected most of the set but the condition wasnt great. Great set and thanks for sharing!
    Originally posted by: mikelowell25
    I must've missed this thread a year ago--great set!! I have the set raw, picked it up on the cheap along with a bunch of nice other hostess/wonder bread sets about 10 years ago from a guy who worked for hostess/wonder bread in the 70's. I don't think I knew the checklist even existed until tonight when I saw your original post from January 2015; I also remember pulling these cards from loaves of wonder bread as a six year old back in the day and loved the colorful artwork and the magic tricks on the back too--thanks for posting!

Very cool I never pulled any of these, were they packaged in cellophane or were they loose in the loaf?
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Very cool I never pulled any of these, were they packaged in cellophane or were they loose in the loaf?

loose in the loaf lol--now that's what I call an alliteration lol!

No, they weren't packaged in cellophane and were simply thrown right in with the bread--if they were in cellophane they wouldn't have any grease/oil stains from the bread! Wacky packages packaged in loaves of wonder bread were packaged in like fashion, simply thrown right in with the bread (or loose in the loaf as you like to say)--I can remember it like it was yesterday, asking my mom when we were at the supermarket if we could buy a loaf of wonder bread even though we already had almost a full loaf at home--I didn't care about that, I just wanted to get another wacky packages sticker or magic tricks card!