Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Many thanks again, O Mysterious Benefactor

As some of you may recall, about two years ago, there was a discussion about ancient jewelry, and I was talking about how fascinated I am with carved Roman gemstones.

As a casual aside, I mentioned a bronze ring with a carved carnelian intaglio showing a capricorn, which happens to be my zodiac symbol. It had been in my VCoins wishlist for about a year at the time, but I'd never pulled the trigger on it because, well... there's so many coins and only so much money to buy them, you know. Buying Roman gemstone rings would be a slippery slope I could ill afford, so I wasn't buying.

Thought nothing more of it until a few weeks later, when I got a mysterious Priority Mail box in the mail with no return address. Even the ZIP code of origin had been carefully blacked out on the label. Hmm. Odd. (And a little spooky, were I a more suspicious or paranoid person, which fortunately I'm not.)

Inside the package was a huge cocoon of bubble wrap, and inside that a little gold box. Inside the box, on a bed of cotton, was the capricorn ring! And a blue Post-It note which read,

"Hope you enjoy it as
much as you seem like you
will. Your stories + collections are a lot of fun to
follow along with. I hope you continue to have more adventures.

A friend on the Boards."

Needless to say, I was floored by the generosity. That made my whole week... or month. It still gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I don't have any good pix of the ring, but here is an old avatar picture I made of the carved gemstone:

So here's the 2015 postscript. My mother's birthday is January 4th, meaning she's also a Capricorn like I am.

I recenly went down to Florida to visit her, and since I'd been at a loss as to what to get for her birthday, I brought the ring and gave it to her.

I expected it would just wind up as another bauble in her jewelry box, but to my surprise, she actually put it on and wore it- and it fits.

She's delighted with it, and I noticed her turning it on her finger and looking at it several times. She continues to wear it, though she takes it off before washing dishes and is careful with it since it is two thousand years old.

So the kind mystery gift from the kind mystery donor kept on giving, and has become a family heirloom of sorts.

Thank you again, Mystery Benefactor, if you're reading this.

(To this day, I still have no idea which one of you sent the ring.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments