Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

February specials.

I called about specials today. Think this was all.

Special 1 7$ a card 50 minimum.

Special 2 12$ supersize special( same)

Special 3 17$ 5 day turnaround time 250$ or less.

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much of a special. For $7 they could at least drop the minimum to 20.
  • any chance u remember the DNA special? thanks.
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Yikes...those are pretty bad considering normal pricing and the January specials.
  • Makes sense. They've had 2 really good months in a row.
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Ouch. What the heck
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10

• << <i>any chance u remember the DNA special? thanks. >>

No sorry. There was one but I don't remember.

And yea big jump from $5.50 even with two good months.
    Better package up your stuff tonight lol.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    At least it is a short month!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Glad I shipped 52 cards today.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. Will make sure I get my two subs in the mail tomorrow.
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Personally I view 50 at $5.50 as rich. I enjoy submitting but the price point is too high. Sure, it would be fine if I had a stash of minty '65s or something sitting around but I do not. When you have to hit 9s with a decent percentage of 10s to make it work, it removes a lot of cards from the equation. When you add in the price of membership, it makes it even more unattractive.

I would love to see another $5.00 special but sadly that is probably a dream. I assume the company is doing quite well with the current price points, and if they are, I do not blame the company for not lowering submission prices. It prices me out but it is what it is as they say.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Glad I shipped 52 cards today. >>

+1 Was gonna hold off to see what Feb would bring. Glad I didn't.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    What is the "good" special these days? $5 a card 45 day turn around?
  • Looks like my 70's to present stuff will be SGC bound this month...$5 and 20 day turnaround.

Oh well, the past 2 months were nice.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    February unspecial
  • I'm glad I got 50 out today! Oh man the new online form is sick! I Need to get the collectors ins that was addressed in another thread spent $14 in ins with usps, ugg.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim

<< <i>Personally I view 50 at $5.50 as rich. I enjoy submitting but the price point is too high. Sure, it would be fine if I had a stash of minty '65s or something sitting around but I do not. When you have to hit 9s with a decent percentage of 10s to make it work, it removes a lot of cards from the equation. When you add in the price of membership, it makes it even more unattractive.

I would love to see another $5.00 special but sadly that is probably a dream. I assume the company is doing quite well with the current price points, and if they are, I do not blame the company for not lowering submission prices. It prices me out but it is what it is as they say. >>

I understand your points - I've had success grading cards that have either not been graded at all or had very few graded. You'd be surprised how many modern cards will get your grading fees back if you get a 9 or a nice tidy profit if you get a ten.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Glad i sent in my 3 large subs this month. Looks like i'm taking a vacation in February at those prices. 1 sub is another (70 prior 56'), 2nd sub (104 mod) 3rd sub(50 pre 56) 4th sub ( 10 packs). 3rd sub has been there since the 24th and still not logged in.

• << <i>

I understand your points - I've had success grading cards that have either not been graded at all or had very few graded. You'd be surprised how many modern cards will get your grading fees back if you get a 9 or a nice tidy profit if you get a ten. >>

I second this. I will be busting open a 2015 Topps Series 1 Jumbo Case next week, and many of those cards, especially the star parallels, will be sent in and will come back as 10's.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    With respect to the grading fees, what does this mean to you? When you have to hit 9s with a decent percentage of 10s to make it work, What does "make it work" mean for others?

Just curious to how others make this determination. I feel like if I can sell a card for more money (accounting for grading fees), not necessarily a lot more, getting it graded than I could raw, then it is worth grading. I do a lot of grading of low dollar cards (cards that sell for $20 - $40). These cards typically sell anywhere from $5 - $10 raw. So, even though it isnt much, I still submit my 50+ cards at $5.50/$7 each and look at it as making an additional 5 - 25+ dollars per card.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "making it work"
    I think they are talking about cards like this one. 1966 PSA 8 Common just ended the second I read this post.

Sold for 6.00 before ebay fees. So even if this card sells for .01 raw it would have been better off sold raw.
    Or this card should have been sold in person and not on ebay to make it work graded $ wise.

• << <i>"making it work"
    I think they are talking about cards like this one. 1966 PSA 8 Common just ended the second I read this post.

Sold for 6.00 before ebay fees. So even if this card sells for .01 raw it would have been better off sold raw.
    Or this card should have been sold in person and not on ebay to make it work graded $ wise. >>

See, I look at that as part of the overall business and not necessarily that I am losing money on that one card. I send it in hoping for a very profitable 9, but it comes back an 8. While I'm making money on the 9's, I sell this one and get what I can. At the end of the day, it all turns a profit if I use common sense when choosing cards to submit.

<< <i>With respect to the grading fees, what does this mean to you? When you have to hit 9s with a decent percentage of 10s to make it work, What does "make it work" mean for others?

Just curious to how others make this determination. I feel like if I can sell a card for more money (accounting for grading fees), not necessarily a lot more, getting it graded than I could raw, then it is worth grading. I do a lot of grading of low dollar cards (cards that sell for $20 - $40). These cards typically sell anywhere from $5 - $10 raw. So, even though it isnt much, I still submit my 50+ cards at $5.50/$7 each and look at it as making an additional 5 - 25+ dollars per card. >>

This is sort of what I do but I even go down to cards that I could sell for a buck or two and turn them into 9s (break even or lose a dollar after grading fees) or 10s and sell those for an average of 20 dollars per card.

I started doing this with the idea that I would try and have an average of 100 cards graded per month and make an average of $5 profit on each card. It's working and the fun I'm having doing it makes it worth while. It obviously won't make me rich.