Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Alright dealers & PCGS

I get the new fancy hologram is to protect the integrity of the brand but if it doesn't last it does us no good. Either integrate it on the inside of the slab where it is protected or make dealers stop putting stickers on the back of of slabs. Even weak sticky ruins the hologram. Just saying

Engineering something that doesn't account for acutal human nature and useage patterns is a failure. See where people walk and then put in the sidewalks.

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I know! I do 99% of my posting from a phone image
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the topics questioning if a slab is authentic have an e-bay pic where the hologram has been severely compromised.
    Sticker-label removed, damaging the hologram.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Crypto 100%

Erik
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hologram seems like a great idea. Putting it on the outside seems like an odd strategy.

But...... the next slab design is never far away. The best feature of this latest iteration is the improved plastic. It's optically more clear and doesn't scuff as easily.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it's a sorry situation. I take special care when removing dealer and action house stickers. Obviously not everyone cares as much.

I believe our host considered alternatives. They're a pretty sharp bunch. The new holograms were a pricey endeavor. A lot of thought must have been given to this.

I'd like to understand the reasons for PCGS's decision to apply them to the holder's exterior. Was it operational efficiency? Concern about outgassing? Are the hologram security features somehow compromised behind plastic?
    Lance.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that PCGS just added the new Dupont technology hologram to the newest generation of slab. That was the primary reason why PCGS offered $5 reholdering for nearly 12 months in in 2014. image

Are you seeing the newest holograms being damaged also ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that PCGS just added the new Dupont technology hologram to the newest generation of slab. That was the primary reason why PCGS offered $5 reholdering for nearly 12 months in in 2014. image

Are you seeing the newest holograms being damaged also ? >>

...the "new fancy hologram," to me, pretty much means the OP was referring to the newest version...the same one that seems to attract dealer pricing/inventory stickers even though the other half of the back of the slab is just plain old plastic. I realize that the PCGS logo is on that side of the back of the slab but maybe that would be a better place to slap a price tag on rather than on a horny hologram that sticks back stronger than anything stuck to it image

...in all reality, I personally have had no problems with the new DuPont hologram as I do not stick anything on them, nor have I bought a coin slabbed with one yet image

Erik
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that PCGS just added the new Dupont technology hologram to the newest generation of slab. That was the primary reason why PCGS offered $5 reholdering for nearly 12 months in in 2014. image

Are you seeing the newest holograms being damaged also ? >>

The ones I make hold up fine in the SDB but all of the ones I have bought are pretty much damaged to the point of being a gunky eyesore. A few have even lost most of their Holographic-ness. I think it's great for the slab, they just need to figure a way to put it on the inside as dealers will never stop putting their own stuff on the back.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have expected the technology to exist by now for the vendor of the raw materials of the PCGS capsule to be able to embed the hologram in the body of the plastic, rather than having it on an internal (grade label) or external surface. Maybe that is still a work in progress ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file