4 over through 4. Opening round, in Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    10 over on Friday through 15. image

Would like to see Bubba Watson get a win here. 2 strokes back
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Career-worst 82. 44 on the back. He has completely lost his way.

My hope is that he continues to play so poorly that he'll be forced to play the week prior to The Masters. image
  • Options
    Galaxy, was it simple stuff like missed chips to the green or was his back giving him trouble?

Just saw the numbers...not the play.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not polished for sure. Like many average Joes during the first month of play after a winter off.
  • Options
    I'm at work and didn't see any live action either. I did catch some of the lowlights from yesterday's round and there were some grotesque-looking chips.

This has been a precipitous fall from grace. Any mention of Tiger Woods needs to be done so without the inclusion of Jack Nicklaus' name until further notice. It's just silly to even contemplate him catching or besting his mark at this juncture, because the guy has zero game right now.
  • Options
    Check out Tiger's post-round interview. He may have looked like a hack on the course, but he was a pro afterward. He absorbed every question and gave thoughtful answers. And they weren't succinct. He even started it out by jokingly saying, "I'm just doing this so I don't get fined."

His attitude really impressed me.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    nothing wrong with being incredibly wealthy though bad at golf.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a bottle the other day. I was wiping it off to see exactly what it was. A Genie came out and was willing to grant me one wish. I said "I want to be as good a golfer as Tiger Woods." Well, my wish came true but this is not what I had in mind.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm at work and didn't see any live action either. I did catch some of the lowlights from yesterday's round and there were some grotesque-looking chips.

This has been a precipitous fall from grace. Any mention of Tiger Woods needs to be done so without the inclusion of Jack Nicklaus' name until further notice. It's just silly to even contemplate him catching or besting his mark at this juncture, because the guy has zero game right now. >>

It was his first tournament in 6 months. The Seahawks and Patriots didn't look too good early in their season either. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm at work and didn't see any live action either. I did catch some of the lowlights from yesterday's round and there were some grotesque-looking chips.

This has been a precipitous fall from grace. Any mention of Tiger Woods needs to be done so without the inclusion of Jack Nicklaus' name until further notice. It's just silly to even contemplate him catching or besting his mark at this juncture, because the guy has zero game right now. >>

It was his first tournament in 6 months. The Seahawks and Patriots didn't look too good early in their season either. image >>

Tough to compare NFL scrimmages to the non contact game of golf. Tiger has a year round course outside of his Florida home. Not competing for 6 months is not an excuse for an eleven over round.

He is fortunate to be in a non team game where an eager replacement is not sitting on the bench with a cheeky grin.

He may get it together and win a few more tourneys and maybe even a sentimental major in his 40's. Beyond that the era is over.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tough to compare NFL scrimmages to the non contact game of golf. Tiger has a year round course outside of his Florida home. Not competing for 6 months is not an excuse for an eleven over round.

He is fortunate to be in a non team game where an eager replacement is not sitting on the bench with a cheeky grin.

He may get it together and win a few more tourneys and maybe even a sentimental major in his 40's. Beyond that the era is over.
    >>

There are no huge crowds when he practices. He may have a case of the yips.

Would you have said he back to "#1 form" if he had played really well this week? It's one tournament. It's practically meaningless.
  • Options

<< <i>There are no huge crowds when he practices. He may have a case of the yips.

Would you have said he back to "#1 form" if he had played really well this week? It's one tournament. It's practically meaningless. >>

It is not meaningless, and it's more serious than off-season rust.

That was a completely healthy Tiger Woods we saw the past couple of days. He had recovered and been working on his game for weeks. So he makes his much antipicated '15 PGA Tour debut, and out of a 132-player field he didn't best a single golfer. The former MJ of golf tied for DFL. Deep down, I'm not sure even Tiger himself shares your optimism.

Problem is, no one on tour is intimidated by him anymore. Too many intrepid young lions who relish the opportunity to pound him into submission. Tiger is simply trying to execute the most pedestrian of shots right now, while the new Tiger (R-Mc) is on the verge of winning another tourney overseas. Their games are light-years away from one another, and Tiger is not going to close that titanic gap just by playing a few tournaments.

I agree with Glick. From here on out we're (at best) going to see some glimpses of brilliance, but forget about Tiger Woods dominating the sport of golf again. What'll probably happen is he'll tease the masses with another major, then the reality of having to win three more to tie (and four to eclipse) will sink in. To put the daunting task ahead into perspective, Phil Mickelson has won five majors over the course of his illustrious career.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to finally admit that I think Tiger will never win a Major again.

When a great golfer like Tiger can't even chip anymore, that is an extremely serious sign that not only is something wrong technically, but more important, mentally too.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    It is completely crazy to see how fast a guy could lose it and not get it back. Even if he were to put together a great weekend and win another major, it is pretty clear that he will never be near the same.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
  • Options
    Woods likes Torrey Pines. Let's see if he makes the cut.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I have to finally admit that I think Tiger will never win a Major again.

When a great golfer like Tiger can't even chip anymore, that is an extremely serious sign that not only is something wrong technically, but more important, mentally too. >>

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I have to finally admit that I think Tiger will never win a Major again.

When a great golfer like Tiger can't even chip anymore, that is an extremely serious sign that not only is something wrong technically, but more important, mentally too. >>

That would bum me out. The US Open is near my house this year, and I was hoping for a great finish, like perhaps Tiger returning to form and pulling one out on the 18th
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Tiger "WD" Woods
  • Options

<< <i>Tiger "WD" Woods >>

Third WD in last 8 starts.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather play like Sam Snead or Ben Hogan

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Hope Joe LaCava doesn't starve to death.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stick a fork in him

enjoyed watching him play, but seems health isn't there for the game.

It would be great if he proves me wrong
  • Options
    As I posted earlier, health isn't his major problem.

Definitely, he's lost the power of his mental game.

Personally, I think inside his head, Tiger knows he's blown his chance at once was a very easy attainable goal of surpassing Jack's major records.

He knows he's blown it, he knows his health is wonky at best and he knows his mind is gone because he can't even CHIP ANYMORE!!!!!

Done, done, done.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    know that lower back pain well. epidural, anyone?
  • Options
    Must be difficult to see Vonn's career peaking as his spirals.
  • Options
    hmmm. upon their relationship downhill is a paradox. this is fascinating.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    The PGA tour implemented a new enforceable drug testing policy on July 1, 2008.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think that TW might have a substance issue, i.e., painkillers? A good friend of mine from college who faced this issue thinks he has the signs. Might dovetail with the back issues. Just a thought.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone else think that TW might have a substance issue, i.e., painkillers? A good friend of mine from college who faced this issue thinks he has the signs. Might dovetail with the back issues. Just a thought. >>

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to Tiger Woods.

Check that - if he was dating Bruce Jenner, THAT would surprise me.