Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman coin help

I just bought a 50 coin lot of roman AE3 -AE4 coins and this is my first time to do anything with ancient roman coins at all. Im wondering if anyone around has some expertise or insight to provide. These are the pictures I have I will be cleaning and electrolysis as well. I also bought The Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins. so any help/advice would be welcomed

V/r

Chris

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Roman1.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Roman2.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Roman3.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Roman4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad batch for cleaning. Majority are from the reign of Constantine I, his sons and some later empire, like Valens, Valentinian I & such. Theyre basically common stuff but there may be some from scarcer to rare mints, possibly a scarcer emperor.
  • Options
    you're about to get real familiar with the constantinian dynasty
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you're about to get real familiar with the constantinian dynasty >>

And its my least favorite type of roman coinage too.
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Like Mat, I'm not overly fond of late Roman bronzes but that is a fantastic batch! They look identifiable as-is and most will clean up very nicely. Where did you find such a great lot?
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason to use electrolysis on those coins. While they are probably cheap coins and you won't feel bad if you ruin them, I don't see any reason to do so.

Electrolysis is a last resort method of cleaning for severely encrusted coins. It will destroy a coin's patina! It is not to remove loose dirt!

Since those coins seem to have reasonable detail, if you really want to clean them up why not just soak them in distilled water for a few weeks. I bet you will be pleased with the results, and even if you're not, you have not done anything that can damage the coin.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I found them on line. it took patience to find decent ones but I found those and one other set from around the same time period. cost about 3 dollars each on the nicer ones and two dollars each on these

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Romn5.jpg
  • Options
    Here's the 3rd and last lot I am purchasing this is 100 coins at about 1.02 dollars each but seems to be a large variety based on size difference.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/coffeyce/Roman6.jpg
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree with Nap. You don't want to use electrolysis on these coins. Maybe if you try the soak and see method and you get no movement on the second to last bunch then you may experiment with a coin to see how it goes. But I would not do that first with all of them because you could really ruin what look to be nice coins. Yes they are probably mostly common later emperors that the seller glanced through for anything rare. But then again, you can have a really fun time working through and learning to read the legends and looking up the varieties and getting familiar with the mints and their mintmarks and like Bronzemat said, finding an occasional rare overlooked emperor and some varieties that aren't obvious.

I would:

Separate by similar obverse portraits.
    Since it is Latin, the names of the emperors are fairly easy to pick out. Look at the common legends in your book and you will start seeing a pattern of titles that are used in a pretty standard order. DN or IMP CAES then emperor name and PF AVG or something like that will help you start narrowing down emperors and then whether the coin was from when they were a caesar or augustus.
    Once you have piles of emperors, then sort them by the reverses. You will see a lot of "fallen soldier getting speared by Roman" "votive" (wreath with some combo of VOT ** MULT **) and various gods or emperors as gods holding things such as globes, victory as a tiny statue and et cetera.

Feel free to post the really tough ones and we will help. If you are having problems and feel like help one on one, I might be able to help so PM me. Once you figure out your duplicates you will probably be able to sell your cleaned off spares for a few dollars a piece and still cover some of your cost.
  • Options
    I definitely use your advice and appreciate the help. Once I get them cleaned up ill post some other pictures as well. Im also gonna do some deep reading in that book. I might call you up on the PM later nicholasz

kinda out of my realm most my collection is world coin 1700-1950's counter stamps ect.
  • Options
    looks like you have a ton of work for yourself here image some big coins in that one group too, that could be fun

it will be interesting to see how they turn out once you start attacking them with the brush

look forward to seeing your progress image
  • Options
    Those cleaned up nicely

What book are you using?

That would be Victory on the reverse, the PM I believe are control letters, I can tell you the SISC at the bottom puts that coin at being minted in Siscia (modern day Sisak, Croatia)

If I could see closer and read all the letters clearly I could help you a lot more than that
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Your pictures aren't good enough to see the detail required to identify them properly; however, here is a good place to help you do it yourself: LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    The coins turned out very nice with just water and a brush. Electrolysis would have been like using a shotgun in a water pistol fight.

I'll see if I can find the Constantine Victory for you in a bit.
  • Options
    I think in Aorta it is bust 59, 68 or 78, some combination of laureate cuirassed bust right. Obverse 15 CONSTANTINVS NOB C." Reverse 175 "SECVRITAS REIPUBLICAE" with Victory advancing left holding wreath and Palm.

But I am having a hard time finding this combination of elements in the Aorta. Maybe I am off or not making out letters correctly.
  • Options
    Yes its hard to find these im able to identity the emperor but finding the exact picture is limited I think I need a better book. using the handbook of roman imperial coins (confusing) and roman base metal coins (limited photos)

I just pulled out four more nice ones (maybe VF) all Valens. some im little a bit at a time. thanks for the advice with electrolysis.

chris

(EDIT) Here's ten fresh ones I just cleaned and pulled out. im pretty happy with the quality even if not rare or valuable

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/Rome2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/Rome1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    Well on the coins if you can type out the legends for us if you can not provide clearer photos that will help us determine the actual issues. A lot of my problem is that I can not see enough detail in the pics to make out exact busts and lettering so I am giving my best guesses. Once you can make out the legends and most of the design you can identify the coins much easier. For example on the victory coin, it seems that Constantine is not holding up his hands or anything visible like a globe a scepter or spear. That automatically removes many contenders from the list. The fact that he is facing right also removes another group of possible portrait types.

I assure you that it will get easier to make out letters especially when you get more familiar with the common legends used by many emperors. Then even when the strikes are weak or certain details/letters have worn off you will be able to piece it together easily. Keep at it!
  • Options
    Ill work on the exact works as close as I can tell for you. it looks like on first scan they are valens, valantine or Constantine coins.