Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the point of USPS insurance?.......... Won Appeal.

I spent a lot of money on insurance threw them over the years and the one time they lose a package insured for $500 they denied my claim.

vj080018997us

It was a eBay return and i provided all the info for the sale....any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Submitted all the documents again along with a PayPal receipt and it was decided in my favor. Hope this helps if any one has a lost package in the future.

Comments

• I've said it many, many times, but USPS insurance is burning money. You would be more protected for less money if you purchased your own 3rd party insurance to cover collectibles. I recommend Collect Insure. You can get $20,000 of coverage that includes mail loss, for around $100/year. Add up all the times you pay for USPS insurance over the course of a year and you're netting money by making the switch. Plus, it also covers your collection in the event of a theft, fire, etc.
  • To help with the specific situation, can you provide more details?

Have you opened a USPS claim to try to locate the package?

On what grounds did USPS deny your claim?
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>I've said it many, many times, but USPS insurance is burning money. You would be more protected for less money if you purchased your own 3rd party insurance to cover collectibles. I recommend Collect Insure. You can get $20,000 of coverage that includes mail loss, for around $100/year. Add up all the times you pay for it over the course of a year and you're netting money by making the switch. Plus, it also covers your collection in the event of a theft, fire, etc. >>

Casey, I took your suggestion and got insurance from Collect Insure. My collection is much smaller than yours so my annual premium was around $45/year. Hopefully I'll never have to file a claim.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've said it many, many times, but USPS insurance is burning money. You would be more protected for less money if you purchased your own 3rd party insurance to cover collectibles. I recommend Collect Insure. You can get $20,000 of coverage that includes mail loss, for around $100/year. Add up all the times you pay for USPS insurance over the course of a year and you're netting money by making the switch. Plus, it also covers your collection in the event of a theft, fire, etc. >>

I'll look into that thank you. I really really want to sue them so bad for all the $ I've spent on insurance. It's a total scam.
  • Sweet, I should get commission from CI. lol
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    just imagine how much closer they'd be to bankruptcy if they hadn't been collecting all this unused insurance money.

<< <i>To help with the specific situation, can you provide more details?

On what grounds did USPS deny your claim? >>

I'm still waiting on the "letter" but it popped up on there site this morning that I was denied. I waited the appropriate amount of time after the last scan and submitted the eBay purchase info. Still denied me. Was supposed to be delivered on the 5th. Here's what I was returning:

OJ
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To help with the specific situation, can you provide more details?

On what grounds did USPS deny your claim? >>

Here's the tracking info:

January 3, 2015 , 1:47 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    ALLEN PARK, MI 48101

Your item departed our USPS facility in ALLEN PARK, MI 48101 on January 3, 2015 at 1:47 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

January 2, 2015 , 9:43 pm
    Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
    ALLEN PARK, MI 48101

January 2, 2015 , 4:17 pm
    Departed Post Office
    ROCHESTER, MI 48307

January 2, 2015 , 9:16 am
    Acceptance
    ROCHESTER, MI 48307

Based on this, I don't see how they can deny the claim. This looks like it was lost/stolen/discarded in transit.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely escalate it to appeal. That is ridiculous.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Charrigan, what is the deductible if any for filing a claim with CA for mail loss? Does premium go up if claim is filed?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • No deductible. Claims must be over $50 to file. Claims over $200 require the mail be sent signature confirmation.
    Any difference in premium if claim is filed?

• I don't have enough experience to say. Maybe others can comment.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Based on this, I don't see how they can deny the claim. This looks like it was lost/stolen/discarded in transit.

The person submitting the claim must provide proof that the item they insured for $500 is in fact worth $500.

What was the reason for the return? If for example you said on the insurance claim form that the reason you were returning the item was due to it being a worthless counterfeit, then the true value of the item you were returning wasn't $500. If you said it was a worthless counterfeit then all the PO lost was a worthless counterfeit and they're not shelling out $500 for something that was never worth $500.
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Claims over $200 require the mail be sent signature confirmation. >>

Good to know. Maybe a dumb question, but can you send to PSA with signature confirmation? Wondering because it is a PO Box.

<< <i>Based on this, I don't see how they can deny the claim. This looks like it was lost/stolen/discarded in transit.

The person submitting the claim must provide proof that the item they insured for $500 is in fact worth $500.

What was the reason for the return? If for example you said on the insurance claim form that the reason you were returning the item was due to it being a worthless counterfeit, then the true value of the item you were returning wasn't $500. If you said it was a worthless counterfeit then all the PO lost was a worthless counterfeit and they're not shelling out $500 for something that was never worth $500. >>

I just stated the it was a eBay return..... So if you buy a fake card for $500 then return it and the post office loses it your sol? I think I would have drove to Jersey to return it if that's the case.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    To the USPS, value isn't what it's "worth" but what was paid for it. If the package wasn't a current transaction (i.e. sending a vintage card/pack, purchased a long time ago, to a family member or friend) then you'd be screwed... you'd have to provide an original receipt or take the loss. That's the scary part of sending stuff into PSA, if it wasn't a recent purchase.

• << <i>

<< <i>Claims over $200 require the mail be sent signature confirmation. >>

Good to know. Maybe a dumb question, but can you send to PSA with signature confirmation? Wondering because it is a PO Box. >>

Yes, you can! I do every time.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    So, if I buy a coin in 1978 worth $300 and by 2015 it has risen to $8000 and I buy insurance, send the item, they lose it, they will only refund my $300??? WTF??

If that is the case, then the post office NEEDS to go bankrupt..it would be replaced by something more efficient, non government BS entity. Honestly, if I insure a package of AIR and they lose it, they should pay the claim. THEY took the insurance without proof of value, THEY should pay it without. And if their shipping is so erratic and unreliable that people could make money by shipping and buying insurance hoping they will lose the package, then maybe the USPS should change how they do business and hire on something a little more intelligent than trained monkeys. Sorry for those USPS employees that actually do a good job, that comment is made at the ones who LOSE items "in transit"
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

<< <i>So, if I buy a coin in 1978 worth $300 and by 2015 it has risen to $8000 and I buy insurance, send the item, they lose it, they will only refund my $300??? WTF?? >>

Yep, and that's only if you can prove you paid $300 for it. USPS is a sham unless it's for a current transaction where you can provide a receipt. I'm actually looking into that insurance that charrigan mentioned right now... as I'm going to be making quite a few submissions to PSA in the near future, and it's for packs and stuff that I've had for quite a while. I do believe UPS insurance is much better in terms of paying for the value of the items (not to mention better at not losing packages). I'm pretty sure UPS will accept appraisals as proof of value, where I've heard the USPS will not.

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I self-insure all packages by putting a percentage of the postage charged into a separate account. Most banks will let you set-up another account pretty easy. Let the finds accumulate and if there's ever a payout take it from there. If I sold a $5,000 item, I'd get insurance because there isn't enough in my account to cover it.

Sometimes click and ship via online usps makes me buy insurance automatically which sucks. But in the very rare cases where I purchase insurance I go with ShipCover (this should be an option on major sites such as Etsy and eBay) since my experience with the USPS Insurance process has always been a headache.

Heard a lot of good things from Collect Insure, too.

Good luck,

Patrick
    Bump
    Glad it worked out in your favor... you definitely have to stay on top, keep pushing when it comes to USPS insurance.

<< <i>I spent a lot of money on insurance threw them over the years and the one time they lose a package insured for $500 they denied my claim.

vj080018997us

It was a eBay return and i provided all the info for the sale....any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Submitted all the documents again along with a PayPal receipt and it was decided in my favor. Hope this helps if any one has a lost package in the future. >>

Glad to hear it!! Congrats!