Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Have you Ever Sought Out Recovering the Exact Card you Sold?

Have you ever sold a card and regretted it, then tried to locate it again by the cert number to get the same exact card back? I have a few that fall in that category. There's a particular card I'd like to get back and could do so at a much lower price now than what I sold it for back in the day. I just need to locate it.

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have.

Took six months for the deal to happen and then a week after I got it back another one popped up so I grabbed it too.

• JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I have done this a few times, I think 4 times that I can remember. Two of the 4 I got the card back for less than I sold it for.

Justin

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to recover the 1979 Topps Gretzky PSA 6 that my dad bought me raw and I subbed in 2004. If it popped up on eBay right now I'd probably buy it even if it was a grand.

Sold it a few years ago while in college.

Also, a 1984 OPC PSA 9 Yzerman I bought raw (at the same show my dad bought the Gretzky) and subbed along with the Gretzky in 2004. Would be nice to get the Yzerman back, but I really want the Gretzky now that I'm a dad.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many raw cards I'll never locate again, including a couple that were for the personal collection and ended up in the eBay stack.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Had a 1953 Mantle in PSA 8 back in 1998-99 and still have a photo of the card. Around 1999-2000 card market for big cards was getting soft with the stock market tumbling and sold most of my high end stuff like (2-3 each) of 1954 and 1955 Williams in PSA 8 for $4500-5000 each. Got an offer on the Mantle that was much higher than anything else at the time, and most big cards were not selling.

Looking back today I don't mind selling the Williams cards since I had 5-6 of them. That Mantle card today I am 99% sure rests in an 8.5 holder. Have never seen another 8 close to it, and the centering was about 52/48 left to right and the bottom red corner was spotless. Today that card would run me $20-25k easy. image
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. Had a 1953 Mantle in PSA 8 back in 1998-99 and still have a photo of the card. Around 1999-2000 card market for big cards was getting soft with the stock market tumbling and sold most of my high end stuff like (2-3 each) of 1954 and 1955 Williams in PSA 8 for $4500-5000 each. Got an offer on the Mantle that was much higher than anything else at the time, and most big cards were not selling.

Looking back today I don't mind selling the Williams cards since I had 5-6 of them. That Mantle card today I am 99% sure rests in an 8.5 holder. Have never seen another 8 close to it, and the centering was about 52/48 left to right and the bottom red corner was spotless. Today that card would run me $20-25k easy. image >>

That's another interesting topic. Do many of you wonder about bumps past cards you sold could have gotten? I think about a high end '71 Reggie Jackson PSA 8 that I sold as well as a PSA 8 '74 Aaron and wonder if they bumped. I check the Reggie cert number from time-to-time which still shows as an 8 but it wouldn't reflect someone getting a bump after cracking and resubbing.
    I would be curious to know as well if the card bumped or if it is in a set somewhere. The number on the 53 Mantle is
    03037285. How would I check it?
  • No bump on 53 Mantle PSA 8 cert 03037285
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How would I check it? >>

Cert Verify
    Thank you for the help guys. I wish I knew who had this card now, because they are missing out on an easy 1/2 point bump right now. Would buy that card back in a heartbeat if I could.
  • Here are a couple of my favorites:

Sold offline 1982 Fleer Test Cal Ripken, Jr. (with Ripken name on front) PSA Authentic for $2,750.00
    Purchased the exact same card in Probstein auction for $1,034.00 only 6 months later. I still had the $2,750.00 in my PayPal account.

Sold offline 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken #616 Scribbled Out in White PSA 10 for $2,750.00
    Purchased 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken #616 Scribbled Out in White PSA 10 AND 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken #616 Whiteout PSA 10 for $2,750.00 for the pair in eBay BIN.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I recently sold a 75 mini Yount PSA 8
    I was later going through a couple recent subs of mine online and I noticed the Yount was now a PSA 9
    out of curiosity contacted the buyer and turns out he had the 8 successfully bumped.
    Good for him, it was a nice card.
    Was just interesting to find out that way, seeing the grade change in my own submission record
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No, but I have caught the same fish twice...

Good for you.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, but I have caught the same fish twice... >>

C'mon Steve, tell me you wouldn't like to have back that Babe Ruth you got right out of the pack back when you were opening Goudeys at age 10 in 1933.