Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1928-s peace dollar, are there any with an almost invisible S ?

I dont see an S anywhere.

image
image
regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think there is a weak S die state. Perhaps a filled with grease example?

    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    looks like I gotta fill out a paper for the plastic factory,
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1928 Philly issue has a VERY weak S. image

    Perhaps this souds like a stupid question, but are you sure it's a 28-S? How can you tell? Are you looking at other die characteristics? Is there a hint of a MM visible? A grease-filled die comes to mind. A "doctored" 1928-S with the MM removed to pass as a 1928 comes to mind.......
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The 1928 Philly issue has a VERY weak S. image

    Perhaps this souds like a stupid question, but are you sure it's a 28-S? How can you tell? Are you looking at other die characteristics? Is there a hint of a MM visible? A grease-filled die comes to mind. A "doctored" 1928-S with the MM removed to pass as a 1928 comes to mind....... >>



    image especially if you have a RAW coin.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe its a removed mintmark, I believe it could be a 28P that was mistakenly labeled a 28-s
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    pics added, there is no S that I can find, are there other diagnostics to authenticate a 28 P ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Can we gat a good shot of the area around the mint mark (close up) so we can better see if there is any sign of manipulation?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    image
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    my photographic skills are lacking, I don't have the equipment for close ups, gonna have to send it in. if it is a P the owner will be quite pleased
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    appears to be an "S" to me
    just a grease filled example of the mintmark
    onething is for sure...i don't trust such issues on a 1928 peace dollar being the "P" is the key date
    i don't think this coin has enough surface integrity to be sure it hasn't been played with
    image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    kinda hard to tell , but may be legit. Perhaps the person labeling it was writing 1928 $ , but forgot the vertical drop thru the S!

    BT&C
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is where it is supposed to be, from one of mine. The circled S from Teddy is in the correct spot, I think anyway!

    image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    goodluck by all means
    i always wish the best and hopefully...yet again...i am wrong

    their are diagnostics for the "P" mint...found on the obverse...maybe they're visible on yours?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny. When i first read this post I couldn't see any of the photos.

    There are four known die pairs for the 1928-P. Each has identifying markers or die polish lines that can be used the authenticate genuine 28-P coins, but it's possible they'll be hard to see on a circulated specimen. The best photos can be seen on VAMWorld's website on the 1928-P page.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    after viewing the diagnostics on vamworld, I believe it is die #3 with the short die gouge in the hair, ive looked at it with a 20x lense and I see no disturbance of the die "striations" in the area of the mintmark, or the luster, yeah my scanner doesn't show it but it has lots of luster remaining,
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭


    << <i>after viewing the diagnostics on vamworld, I believe it is die #3 with the short die gouge in the hair, ive looked at it with a 20x lense and I see no disturbance of the die "striations" in the area of the mintmark, or the luster, yeah my scanner doesn't show it but it has lots of luster remaining, >>



    wow
    congrats...that's a you suck if you land it in a holder...not until then you
    i'd note that on coin description...that it is die #3

    (i love being wrong in such a case as this )

    please update us when it grades
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That S looks like it stands out like a sore thumb after looking in the correct spot?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I don't see it on the coin, no interruption in the flow lines in that area, don't know what it is in the scan but its not on the coin. I was asked to evaluate a collection for a friend, this was in the bunch, along with a complete set of mercury dimes, she was gonna sell me the dimes for $1 each, LOL I told her I couldn't do that, and she said ok how about 75 cents each ? then I told her that would be about $60 or.... I could help her sell the 16D, 21P and 21D and buy the others at spot, when she was completely confused, I told her what the 21 should be worth, then what the 16D should be worth, and she said I like that idea better.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is refreshing to hear an honest story like that. Are they in nice shape? (The rare dimes?)
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    and the verdict is in ! image
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the 16D dime came back genuine bent Gd details, which is odd considering i scanned it and it wasn't bent when i scanned it. lol
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    now its time to contact her and find out if she wants to keep or sell. how accurate is the PCGS price guide for the 1928 dollar in 55?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of your scary icon, you're a good guy in helping your friend and not pulling a rip.
    A refreshing story indeed!
    A friend in need is a friend indeed!
    Too bad we don't have a humanitarian you suck category. i'd nominate you for that!

    As far as PCGS opinion on this.... It goes a long way...
    People may debate whether it's over graded or not, especially if you go to sell to 'some' dealers.
    However, the grade eleminates the barb they might otherwise throw of that grease filled or artfully removed or worn mm.
    Look at completed auctions for a better take on values. Not sure about price guide.

    In this case, there's a lot of "value in that plastic", as you well recognize.

    A big congratulations!!!! image

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool! How are you going to help her sell it? You blocked every buyer eBay has! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file