Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Coin Question?

I recently sent some coins to PCGS for grading. I cut all the coins out of a 2007 Canadian Set labeled as uncirculated as per The Canadian Mint packaging.

PCGS graded the coins as Proof Like instead of as uncirculated. The info card describes the coins as uncirculated. They were in a cello package.

My question is did PCGS correctly label them as PL or should they be MS?

They graded the cent as MS67RD but the other coins were:

5c = PL68
10c = PL65 Curved 7
25c = PL67
50c = PL66
$1 Loon = PL67
$2 Polar Bear = PL65

In checking The PCGS Registry I see they have PL Sets thru 2005 and Mint Sets thru 2007 so they aren't up to date.

So should my coins be labeled as PL or MS and would they be worth more as MS coins rather than PL? Seems strange the cent was graded as MS and the rest as PL?

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Canadian numismatic sets/terms are different than the USA. To add more confusion about it, the terms have changed a bit over time among certain collectors, publications and grading services.

In short..

Coins issued for circulation are given MS grades
    Coins from Proof sets are PR/PF
    Coins from Specimen sets are SP
    Coins from "Uncirculated" mint sets since the 1950s have been a different quality/finish than either MS or PR coins. Reflective fields (no cartwheel lustre), with varying degrees of cameo. Collectors dubbed these "Proof-like". Recently the term "Numismatic Brilliant Uncirculated" has started to become used for sets with these strikes.

All of the coins from that set should have received PL grades. These are more carefully struck/packaged than business strikes, so they are less valuable in high grades than MS coins.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are more carefully struck/packaged than business strikes, so they are less valuable in high grades than MS coins. >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking that would be the answer,,,, so is the 2007 MS67RD Cent worth anything?

So to get a MS graded Canadian Coin does it have to be pulled from a roll or are there other sets with MS coins in them?

Thanks, GrandAm image
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    Pokermandude is correct. The cent should have been labeled as a PL. PCGS is still using the historical PL designation for the NBU mint sets. I believe they are also doing so ATS.

A standard business struck coin compared to the NBU coin will have a different "texture" or grainier look to it, i.e. you can see the material flow lines better in a business strike while the PL/NBU strike has a glassier look. Set a business struck, NBU, and proof cent side by each and the look will jump out at you.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pokerman is 100% correct.
    until we ( probably never) get a normed grading system, this is how it is... unfortunately.
    BUT, when collecting all this RCM stuff, please be careful what you pay for it. Only very few coins are worth it.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not as easy as it may read or sound to distinguish some of the MS and PL coins from the 1950s through around 1960/61.

I would like to do a thread on this just to illustrate the wide range in which these coins exist. I have not done so because my talent for pictures is consistent with the objective image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

So... what do we think about this one?

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    kat - looks MS to me, rim details are rounded indicating business strike pressure in minting, probably from a newly polished or recycled PL die.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Grandam

I didn't mean to hijack the thread- the question you raised is a good one.

I will post answer once we have a few more opinions from our other Canadian experts

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem,,, I look forward to your info.

BTW, I like the 1955 quarter.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested to know !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I was sort of hoping a few other Canadian experts would provide commentary... And they still can chime in.

I will post an answer and it is not what I had expected nor 1960NYGiants- FTR, I agree with 1960NYGiants.

The grade is PL64. Yes... this was called PL. I was not surprised by a 64, but I did not even think there was a dispute as to its status as am MS coin. If we take a close look at the surface, especially the portrait, there is a satin texture which extends into the fields. While there are signs of die polish in the fields, even MS examples will have die polish. This commentary is not about who is right or who offers the best opinion, it is merely an observation that simply making a determination between a Canadian MS and PL coin is just not always easy or obvious.