Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grading Question regarding centering

This is a question that I thought I understood the answer to, but may have been wrong.

For a vintage card that is off center approximately 95/5 Top to Bottom, and 60/40 Left to Right, with sharp corners and problem-free surface....

If it is submitted with the "No Qualifiers" option, how many grades are deducted compared to a well centered card?

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at [email protected] !

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a question that I thought I understood the answer to, but may have been wrong.

For a vintage card that is off center approximately 95/5 Top to Bottom, and 60/40 Left to Right, with sharp corners and problem-free surface....

If it is submitted with the "No Qualifiers" option, how many grades are deducted compared to a well centered card? >>

Good question, I'm not sure if it would be a 7 (two point deduction) or a 3 (90/10 on front w/5% leeway).
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should have no shot at a 7. 9OC and 7 are not equivalent grades, they're only counted as the same for registry purposes. The card could be a 9OC, but get a straight grade of 3.
  • A card centered 95/ 5 in any one direction ,,,,,, is not considered oc but mc mis cut cards graded with out a qualifier come back low grade 5or6 ish the true definition of mc card 95/5 or worse, it some how got cut off the sheet bad , so bad it's not oc but mc graders will kill mc cards and it's probably not worth grading unless it's a big money card or just a private collection card you want to slab and stack.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The highest I have ever seen cards like that, that have everything else on point is '6'.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    This all makes sense, somewhat.

My follow up question would be, "If you were buying a high dollar vintage card, valued well over $1000, would you rather see a grade of PSA 7(MC) or PSA 4, assuming that it is actually the same card?"

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at [email protected] !
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Alot of people don't like qualifiers. However, they don't bother me. Depending on the card, I rather see a PSA 9 (OC) than a PSA 7. It tells me that everything else is awesome.
  • Each person has their own preferences. I personally would prefer the non-qualified grade, even if lower.