Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Long time collector, very first issue with Post Office, need advice but future looks grim

Hi Guys, just asking the proper protocol here

Purchased item on ebay

seller did not upload tracking, so I did not follow the progress of the package. When I asked him, he provided the tracking number, and it was supposedly delivered 10 days prior!

Postal Product:
Priority Mail 2-Day™
USPS Tracking™
Up to $50 insurance included (items was $249.99)
Restrictions Apply

Items says delivered in/at mailbox

Package never showed up.

I'm worried this might become a pattern, and since it shows delivered, I am SOL?

Postmaster asked carrier, but he claims he put it in there. I get numerous packages each day, and there is no way he happens to remember this one.

I've been checking ebay/craigslist local for the lot of 29 1952 topps to no avail.

I'm not sure what to do at this point

Opinions/advice appreciated

thanks in advance

Comments

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think you might be SOL given it shows delivered and the postoffice backs it up JMHO sorry
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened. This sort of thing has happened to me before.

I think eBay and/or paypal raised the signature confirmation requirement from $250 to $750. If this is the case then you are out of luck, I'd think, unfortunately.

If the requirement is for the buyer to add signature confirmation to the package (which is total price paid including shipping) then you should be covered as long as the shipping was not free as that would have tipped the total price over $250.

Our mailman sometimes gives my mail to neighbors and it's annoying. Thankfully, everyone one our street is honest enough to return the items. It happens to us all regularly! Nobody has complained, yet, because the mailman is pretty old, so I know I at least feel sort of bad.

Best of luck I hope this works out for you (and the seller).

Patrick
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    When the seller provided the tracking, does it show your zip code
    or did you just take his word? If it shows your zip code then you're SOL.
    If its a different zip code there is still hope.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have specific advice for you, but you should know that this can happen without the package being delivered. It happened to me in a similar way, only I discovered it two days after the supposed "delivery." I informed the post office, and they brought the item to my door within an hour.

I believe the likeliest explanation is a carrier who scans it as delivered before the fact, and then it just gets left in a truck or something.

Best of luck recovering it.
  • I've been having problems with this for awhile myself. A few months back I went in and talked to the head branch manager and explained this was a recurring theme and I was become exhausted with this. I asked them if they could investigate the situation to see what was happening. They said they would and finally after a couple of weeks they discovered that my driver was scanning things as delivered prior to actually delivering them and they were being left in a box on the truck. Needless to say, and I'm not sure if this is post office protocol, it seems a bit backwards, but hey if it works and speeds up their job, then great. Unfortunately it wasn't working.

So it very well may be that it's in the truck still. They say they check the trucks daily, but I have my doubts. Ask them to check the truck thoroughly and see if they find it.
  • Step 1: contact National USPS Customer Service and ask them to open a case because the item was not delivered. That will frequently kick-start the local PO - even if you have already talked to them directly.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys

yes it shows my zip code and city as being delivered and the same approximate time the carrier comes.

I do NOT have a regular guy, I have alternates and different people each day. They are working on getting a regular carrier for my route.

I will call USPS customer service today and praying the cards are somewhere!

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I just looked it up and it looks like you're covered via paypal as the seller should have added signature confirmation to the package.

Ebay policy is $750 and paypal is $250. If you can't find the cards you can try to work something out with the seller or open a claim for reimbursement.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Scanning them before they are delivered is definitely becoming more regular. Had one scanned as delivered last Wednesday and it was actually delivered this Monday.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    This is there policy:
    Insured mail provides the mailer with a mailing receipt. No record of insured mail is kept at the office of mailing; however, the USPS maintains insured delivery records for a period of time. An item insured for $200.00 or less receives a delivery scan. An item insured for more than $200.00 receives a delivery scan and the USPS obtains the recipient’s signature as the delivery records. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing additional services; see 6.0 for details.
    On a hunch I had the priority carrier check my neighbor's box as they just moved. Apparently they left no forwarding address, which was a great thing as my cards were there!

Thanks for all the help!

Who leaves no forwarding address?
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that's a great ending. Glad you got the cards!!
    Daniel
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Great Hunch! Glad it ended well.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    It's just sad I had to be the FBI agent! Their job is putting mail in the proper box, not exactly rocket science. I could have been out the $$ and more importantly the cards!

I'm amazed more stuff isn't lost or stolen
  • Fortunately, most situations turn out like this one. The overwhelming amount is successfully delivered and the cases of screw-ups generally get fixed. My mother-in-law had a similar situation where a package was scanned delivered by was not actually received. 2.5 weeks later she got a call from a neighbor saying they had accidentally been delivered the package. The vast majority of people aren't out there to scam, steal, or cheat and will return a wrongly delivered package to its rightful owner.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will renting a PO box alleviate these mis-deliveries?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Probably couldn't have ended better.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats. Probably couldn't have ended better. >>

Not sure there is any way to eliminate human error. The carrier could still put your package in the wrong PO box.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fortunately, most situations turn out like this one. The overwhelming amount is successfully delivered and the cases of screw-ups generally get fixed. My mother-in-law had a similar situation where a package was scanned delivered by was not actually received. 2.5 weeks later she got a call from a neighbor saying they had accidentally been delivered the package. The vast majority of people aren't out there to scam, steal, or cheat and will return a wrongly delivered package to its rightful owner. >>

Agreed, it's fortunate, but there are thousands of delivery defects that USPS doesn't ever know about because neighbors are generally honest and finish the delivery for them.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who leaves no forwarding address? >>

Felons, and deadbeats...

Good for you.

<< <i>

<< <i>Who leaves no forwarding address? >>

Felons, and deadbeats... >>

HI STEVE!

Would you believe there was a warrant/summons affixed to their door today?

I didnt inspect it thoroughly, but it was from court
  • downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Similar story to what happened to me. 10 days, didn't know there was tracking.
    Item hadn't arrived, asked seller. Said there was tracking and showed delivered.
    Sure enough number he finally provided me shows delivered 10 days earlier.
    No response from PO when I inquire. Couple days later snow melts and there is
    Envelope on ground.

Maybe same happened to you

Never mind, just read rest of thread, cards found. Great!
    We both lucky
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug