Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This one means a lot to me...

If you were to ask me my first vivid ripping experience the answer would be pretty easy. It's 79 Topps football.

I know I opened packs before that but 79 is the first year I had actually accumulated enough to sort into team sets.

I can even tell you the top 10 cards I remember coveting back then.

Any Cowboy was cool, but particularly Staubach, Dorsett, Tony Hill, Randy White, Too Tall, and Butch Johnson (loved his end zone dance)

As well as Campbell and Payton (Lofton wasn't on my radar yet)

And finally since I grew up in Bay Area, Stabler and yes, OJ.

I still have some of my originals.

Fast forward 35 years and I'm back into cards like an 8 year old.

I've been acquiring vintage packs from all sports for the last few years. I found myself with 10 packs of 79FB and some wax trays and realized I was close to a full box. Project accepted.

I bumped into Mark (cincyredlegs) at National. And lo and behold a few weeks passed and an empty 79 box shows up in the mail. What a treat from a great board member. Now I was well on my way.

I've been grabbing packs from Steve as they came available and found that I really didn't want to bust into my trays, and I also wanted enough packs left behind for the occasional rip. Fortunately he recently came into new stock and I was able to grab the last packs I needed to complete my box and still have 9 packs and 5 trays for the future.

This box means more to me than any other in my collection, both for it's personal significance and the fact that I hand built it over time and with some help and generosity from this board.

Just wanted to share and say thanks, particularly to Mark for the box, Wolfgang for a few of the packs, and Steve for the bulk of the packs and the wrap.

79 Football Rules!

Jim
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you, brother. 79T FB is where it all started for yours truly as well.

These boxes are broiling -- sensational addition to your collection!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a football card guy, but that box looks very nice! Congrats on the pickup, Jim!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Very happy for you Jim, nice looking box!!! Congrats!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and thanks for sharing. . That is what is great about a forum like this. You will find many who will appreciate and help feed your addiction.
  • Options
    Congrats Jim....the wax box looks great image
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Great looking box and awesome story to go with it!
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Cool story and wonderful box. I hope to add one some day myself. Congratulations Jim!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This box means more to me than any other in my collection, both for it's personal significance and the fact that I hand built it over time and with some help and generosity from this board. >>

Congratulations on your full box Jim and thanx for the nice writeup - I always enjoy reading where people are passionate about collecting.
    Mike
  • Options
    Awesome!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on completing the box and can't wait to see the occasional rips in the future!
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great project Jim! 1979 football is where it all started for me as well. The Staubach card is still my favorite card of all time with the Danny White following not too far behind. I keep toying with the idea of building a rack box or cell box with just Cowboys on top. If I could just find a 79 Septien and Hollywood Henderson in PSA 9 so I could finish my team set I could start to give the box serious effort.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the '79 set as well... very nice! Congrats.
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the sweet box and story to go along with it. I feel the exact same way about my 1980 Topps Baseball box.
  • Options
    I have the exact same love for the '79's and would like to build a box as well. My big problem is everytime I get my hands on a few packs, I rip them.

Dorsett, Staubach, Payton, and Bradshaw were my favorites that year.