Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Samples - Generations 8-13 (Updated 1-12-23)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 27, 2023 7:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

SAMPLES SAMPLES SAMPLES

So, if you buy into the PCGS generations I proposed in another thread PCGS Generations - an attempted update., it makes organizing PCGS samples easier. The classification scheme presented here is based on the PCGS generations as a foundation. After all, it only makes sense that samples were distributed at the same time as the generations listed above to promote them (well, there are some exceptions, but they will be noted in each section). It's real strength is in being able to find a sample quickly and efficiently and knowing whether you already have it or need it. The weakness is that it differs from other numbering schemes like PCGS's system (museum of Holders where they concentrate on the plastic, not the plastic AND label) and David Schwager's system that categorizes samples 1st by the denomination.

Cameron Kiefer (CK) was the pioneer who started organizing samples from many TPG's and it's a great asset that can still be found at Sampleslabs.com (referred to as SS from here on out). The weakness for me is that his generations relate more to when the sample was discovered by him rather than how they relate to each other by generations. Since it hasn't been updated for several years, it makes organizing more recent samples difficult. This thread will hopefully bring us up to date and newer generations can be easily added.

Rarity This is somewhat subjective and is based on what I and a few friends have seen. Also, if not on SS (up until it was no longer updated), it's probably at least scarce!

Somewhat problematic are special issues that defy simple classification by generation. The more recent Asian issues for example will be classified by their date of issue rather than by generation.

If you have information that can make this more useful or accurate or if there is misinformation posted here, please PM me - the idea is for it to be continually updated. Especially needed are dates when specific samples first appeared within each generation.

The numbering may change as new samples are discovered and an attempt is made to place them in proper chronological order (rather than being based on discovery date). The general scheme is as follows. The first number will be the generation followed by a number that attempts to place in chronological order when that sample appeared. Some samples require a more complicated scheme (the buffalo herd) and it will be explained with those samples. Finally at the end are slabs that don't fit in the general PCGS generations scheme. These will be listed separately by year of issue.

Sample 8

None seen to date. The label might have been so crowded already that there was no room for the sample/advertising information. The Bison samples spanned this period and probably met the needs of PCGS until Sample 9 style holders were made.

Sample 9.1 These are very similar to the Sample 6.4 versions but of course now follow the Generation 9 layout. The spacing between PCGS - Sample is greater than for Sample 6.4, the nonsense serial number has been added and the bar code is on the front. No change in the reverse design, the hologram not changing until Generation 10. While not rare, they are seen less commonly than the 6.4 version. They come in P and D MM's. For those that are sharp eyed, the bar code under the serial number is different for each even if everything else (including MM) is the same - not sure why? Now, you're wondering who would even pay attention to that sort of thing?? image

Sample 9.2 A phone number replaces the nonsense serial number on this version, o/w the same as Sam. 9.1.

Sample 9.3 Scarce to rare sample that fits in this generation nicely, not seen by me until Feb. 2017. 2000-D Maryland 25c, no state abbreviation before 25c.

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

Sample 10.1 Change to the new darker background, the word "shield" centered high and the peak of the shield centered between 20 of 2010. This has the earlier reverse hologram. Comes with both P and D mintmark, very occasionally with the penny oriented with Lincoln forward, Shield on the reverse.

Sample 10.2 New addition as of 8-1-17. Another slab in my duplicate box that I looked at before selling and noticed the new hologram on the reverse, displacing the prior 10.2 - otherwise the same as 10.1 above. Subtle change in the reverse sticker, the easiest pickup being the elimination of the space between : and CLCT.

Sample 10.3 This is the only one from this generation I've seen w/o a barcode. Has a 2010-D shield 1c with the Secure Plus shield. The nonsense serial number is similar to earlier generations but longer, the coin number correct.

Sample 10.4 Difference from 10.2 is the centering of "Shield" between PCGS-Sample above and the numbers below. The relationship of the lettering to the shield varies subtly from slab to slab. It makes sense that the inserts come with the shield pre-printed and then PCGS prints the label depending on their needs, accounting for the subtle variations.

Sample 10.4P I had this in my duplicate box before realizing it had the pronged holder, different than the above. Insert and prongs are clear.

Sample 10.5 This is a fun one - the word Shield has been shifted up and CSNS YN Treasure Hunt has been added.

Sample 10.6 Shazam! In the middle of this boring run of samples PCGS comes up with a dual-coin sample! Given out to promote the introduction of their duo slab, only about 15 were made. There was a real flurry of activity to get these at the 2012 Philadelphia ANA, about 10 given away by Don Willis at the PCGS luncheon, another 5 or so to prominent dealers. I saw one in a dealers case before the luncheon but they had no interest in selling it. This is one to watch out for but I haven't seen one offered since they were issued! Interesting in that acan451 has posted a very different reverse in his Samples blog, a reverse I've never seen personally, shown below.

Wouldn't this make a great sample?? It's an advertising piece by PCGS when they started the dual slab service!

11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

Sample 11.1 These follow the Generation 11 design. Features a 2009-D 1c Lincoln-Early Childhood with correct coin number, grade .00 and nonsense serial number. Barcode at bottom, no change in the hologram.

Sample 11.2 Custom made for the Diablo Numismatic Society, missing the usual features of a regular sample but providing the period of issue, April 2013. Same reverse as the prior sample. These come in P and D MM's, the one shown with a 2009-P in the holder.

Sample 11.3 Similar to Sam. 11.1 but now with a shield 1c, "Shield" centered.

Sample 11.4 Same layout as prior but 2013-D.

Sample 11.5 This France sample fits here best. Not sure the exact time of issue, coin dated 1999, 10c Euro. PCGS opened it's European branch 7-6-10. If you've seen samples featuring other countries, please send me pictures! PCGS opened a new Paris branch with a press release 9-11-12. The new PCGS European Submission Center is conveniently located in the La Bourse-Richelieu Drouot area of Paris.

12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

Sample 12.1 This is a new style holder released in Feb. 2014 at the LB show. Coin number 517517 is correct for the coin in the holder. The reverse hologram made it's debut at FUN 2014 on the luncheon slab. It's hard to get a good picture of the hologram since there are 4 numbers that appear as the slab is rotated - maybe someone will make a youtube video?? In the meantime, a animation cartoon can be viewed at PCGS. Other changes to the holder/slab are as noted in the generations post in another thread. Short lived style in part since the Dupont hologram sticker was easily destroyed by the removal of price or auction stickers.

Sample 12.2 A 2014-D 1c in the same generation sample holder but with coin number 524409 was given out at the 2014 June Long Beach show. Same sample given out at the summer ANA in Chicago both at the submission booth and to YN's who completed the treasure hunt.

Sample 12.3 Similar to 12.2 but a 2014-P cent. I'm told an enterprising YN at the Jan. 2015 Long Beach show asked if he could look through boxes of samples at the PCGS table. After going through 6 boxes, he cherry picked the 2nd one above, the only Memorial 1c in the lot! image Not a very attractive coin but a great sample. image A 1996-D Lincoln memorial appeared on 3-29-16 on eBay and was snapped up quickly with a BIN of $99.99 - the memorial cent in this generation holder no longer a one-off sample!

Sample 12.4
Sample from the CSNS show, presumably the April 2015 show before the switch to the generation 13 sample slab. Bought this in Feb. 2021 in a small lot with 2 other samples.

13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13

Sample 13.1 This sample is from the June 2015 Long Beach show, the Summer ANA and the January 2016 FUN show. It follows the introduction of the Gen. 13 slab by PCGS, the new features covered in the PCGS Generations thread. Features a 2015-D shield Lincoln cent, a common theme I would guess mirrors the shield on the label. I'm ready for a new style.......

Sample 13.1.5 This is the same holder as Sample 13.0 but w/o the D mintmark. These appeared from time to time starting in 2016. While offered as an "error" sample, the premium is modest.

Sample 13.2 Normally I would list this with the Asian samples (by year) but this has crossover "appeal" as a true Generation 13 configuration. I don't know what show these were given out at - let me know if you know!

Sample 13.3 At the 2016 Jan. FUN show there was a display of PCGS samples celebrating PCGS's 30th year in business. A special brochure was created for this and in it was a 2015 P Lincoln cent. At the same time, 2015-D samples were being given out at the PCGS table unchanged from Sam. 13.0 above. It was anticipated that the brochure planned for the Feb. 2016 Long Beach show would contain a 2016 cent - but it didn't. There were 1250 brochures made for the FUN show and 1250 planned for the LB show.

The folder was created by BJ Searles and her staff. It was very well done, the 4 front flaps held closed by a velcro closure. Shown above is the front, inside and back of the folder, the final picture the Sample Slab itself, held in place with a dab of putty like material (top and bottom edges).

Sample 13.4 Interesting variation with a 2013-D Shield 1c, reverse missing the QRS code. I'm guessing these came out in early 2016 as they started appearing on eBay at that time.

Sample 13.5 1st sample with the date 2016-D IIRC appeared at the 2016 Central States show. This one was courtesy of a forum member who attended the show. The same samples was given out at the PCGS table at the August 2016 Anaheim ANA. I suspect PCGS didn't come up with a new one since they had their hands full with all of the 30th Anniversary slabs, also given out at the ANA. A little bit later in 2016, the QRS code was added to the reverse.

Sample 13.6 Interesting sample with a prototype insert! While it is an interesting and attractive insert, I think it became apparent quickly that it would be impractical for anything but the smallest coins. Reverse w/o QRS code. 5 were said to have been made, not sure what the surviving population is.

Sample 13.7 2017 Sample from the 2017 ANA. They were given out at the fall Long Beach show as well.

Sample 13.7b Variation that appeared in late 2017 missing the QRS code on the reverse.

Sam 13.8 2018-D penny given out at the 2018 Philly ANA and earlier 2018 shows. Same design as earlier Gen. 13 samples, PCGS stuck in a rut with this one......

Sam 13.9 Sample from a Nov. 2019 show with this from Numismatic News. "A new show has entered the realm of numismatics, known as “Coin X.” The show is led by some familiar faces in numismatics auctions such as RoundTable Trading, Scotsman Coin Auctions and Lyn Knight Currency Auctions. It is set to take place Nov. 7-9 in the St. Charles Convention Center in Missouri. Activities set for Saturday, Nov. 9, include a treasure hunt, Ancient Coin Blackjack and a Numismatic Youth Auction.
Organizers say the goal of the show is to “bring the power of social media and technology to the real world,” through its auctions while placing an emphasis on attracting members of the younger generation to the hobby with YN-focused activities."

Sam 13.10 Acquired off Ebay March 2021 since there weren't any shows to attend from early 2020 to early 2021. I can typically acquire these for free at shows at the submission table. Not sure if this was issued before the pandemic or given to submitters during the pandemic. Either way, it's been a long wait to update this section!

Sam 13.11 This was given out at the PCGS table during the 2022 FUN show. I asked for a currency sample as well but they were being saved for the YN Treasure hunt. If you received a different sample at the 2022 FUN show OR if you have a YN oriented slab, please let me know. Note the all "0" serial number and the absence of a physical chip in the label area in spite of the RFD symbols.

Sam 13.12 This was given out at the 2023 FUN show at the PCGS submission table. Unusually nice condition of the coins - time will tell if spots develop! Unlike the preceding slab, has the chip symbol lower left, obverse.
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    finally found this thread as well!!

I was looking in the testing forum!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thanks for posting.
    Frank

BHNC #203

Did you ever notice that the bar codes are all different?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but trying to complete a set by unique bar codes was more than I wanted to attempt. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman
    Yes, but trying to complete a set by unique bar codes was more than I wanted to attempt. image

agreed, just wondered if you had noted it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.

Added the 2023 FUN show sample given out by PCGS at the submission table.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim- WRT 13.12 did you check if it actually has the chip, or just the logo? I can confirm 13.11 does not - hold it up to the light and there is nothing there.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Nope - just the logo, lower left.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file