Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does it HELP or HURT when PWCC has multiple...?

..copies of the same high grade card?? I know some auction houses try to avoid having multiples of the exact same card in the exact same grade.

Comments

• I would expect it to hurt:

1. Bidders on whichever closes first may hedge, knowing that they could possibly pick up the 2nd cheaper

2. Undercuts perception of scarcity

3. If few top-end bidders, decreases competition - each can have their own
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps the better looking card.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Here are some numbers.

This is Probstein123 and not PWCC that ran these two cards at the same time. It's important to note that the cards must have belonged to the same seller as evidence of the cert number. So the seller knew what they were doing when they sent the cards to Probstein.

These both ended on December 11 for $113 (same winner and under bidder for both cards). The third bidder bid $99.99 on both cards.

Gretzky PSA 10

Gretzky PSA 10

On January 7th an independent seller sold this card for nearly three times what the other two did at $305. The third highest bidder in the above two auctions bid $110 on this card. The winner of the above and under bidder did not bid on this card.

Gretzky PSA 10

On January 22nd this card sells for $157. Serial number shows it's from the same batch the first two came from. The third highest bidder (who bid on all auctions above) bid $88 on this card.

Gretzky PSA 10

It can (and should) be argued that the nicest card was the $305 one and it included a back scan. The other two don't even come close (nor did they in price).
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    My question is how are three of those double vision Gretzky's sitting in 10 holders?
    They should be no better than PSA 9 OF (out of focus qualifier), or PSA 8's with no qualifier.

I guess the graders are too busy looking at corners, edges, and centering, to care
    what the actual image looks like.

The highest priced sale for $305 had the best looking photo.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is how are three of those double vision Gretzky's sitting in 10 holders?
    They should be no better than PSA 9 OF (out of focus qualifier), or PSA 8's with no qualifier.

I guess the graders are too busy looking at corners, edges, and centering, to care
    what the actual image looks like.

The highest priced sale for $305 had the best looking photo. >>

You think that's bad? Checkout this Leetch PSA 10 from the same batch as those Gretzky PSA 10s!
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Leetch has two touched corners as well. That's a 7
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    That Leetch could be the worst PSA 10 I've ever seen

• schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    In December 2013 two PSA 9 75 Topps Aarons #660 were auctioned at the same time by PWCC. One went for $1312 the other $810. They were IMO very close in condition to each other. This is only a pop 29 card currently and if I remember right only a pop 25 or so at the time of the auction. Definitely not a good idea to list two at the same time. My estimate of value at that time was closer to the $1300 that one went for. Now probably $1500.

Scott
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Personally,it hurts them. If they were in two different auctions I'd probably bid on both. Together, as said previously, I'll look at the better looking card and only bid on that one. In general.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image