Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1976 Topps Set

I know it doesn't get a lot of press but as my favorite set of all time I would kill for some of These on Ebay
Especially that Brett and Eck! Honestly not sure how many of these will sell but some really nice looking cards here! Looks like they
are doing it in waves?
Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bench from that set is one of my favs as well. Strong starting bid on the Eck. I haven't kept track of what one of those should go for, but is that in the ballpark?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have also been watching the 76 set lately. A lot of 10s posted today. I see that 4SC has the first PSA 10 Riggs for sale.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a little aggressive on the Eck? I dont know what one would go for but 12 grand might be a pipe dream?
    Collector Focus

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's a little aggressive on the Eck? I dont know what one would go for but 12 grand might be a pipe dream? >>

You will recall that one was offered on B/S/T last year with no takers. It ended up selling at auction for at LOT LESS than $12k
    (and provide us a lesson that there are not many post-1973 cards that consistently get those kinds of prices).

Dave
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Brett has that annoying quality so common with '76s where one edge tapers inward from bottom to top.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this thread. I've picked up about 75 76 cards over the years, mainly PSA 9s, along with a few I've submitted myself, and am taking the snow day to scan them for my set. I came across this one~appears to be a very early PSA label. Anyone know approximately when this card was graded? It has silver hologram sticker on back of flip.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    On the Jorgensen flip, I think those were graded around 2001 if I recall correctly.
    I remember seeing that style of font used for a very short period of time, I think less than a month.
    PSA might have used it during a National. Maybe something was offset with their label settings.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread thank you for posting it. I for one think the 76 baseball set is fantastic one of the best from the 70's.
    My favorite card from the set is the Eckersley rookie.
    Thanks for the info, cardbender. The old school typewriter font does seem odd, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    One of my favorites from this set:

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the guys starting and helping this thread along please raise your hand if you are between the ages of 44-48? image
    My favorite set as a kid, and my first year of little league coincided with the 1976 set along with my Reds winning the WS. Not a ton of rookies since 1975 gobbled them up, but loved the All Star cards with the gold star in the bottom of the card. Bench was my favorite player and have numerous PSA 8-9 cards from this year - very affordable and easy to get a stack of them. Interested to see what the Brett and Briggs fetch.
    I had a few of those font style over the years. I agree probably 2001 ish definitely before Rochi Baker split.
    Collector Focus

45 here and was my first set collected as a kid..
    Collector Focus

Collector Focus

I only have a few graded 76's, though I am making good progress on a very nice raw set:

<< <i>All of the guys starting and helping this thread along please raise your hand if you are between the ages of 44-48? image
    >>

48 image
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All of the guys starting and helping this thread along please raise your hand if you are between the ages of 44-48? image
    My favorite set as a kid, and my first year of little league coincided with the 1976 set along with my Reds winning the WS. >>

Not I, but I am a long time Reds fan and remember looking through an uncle's box of 76s being stored in my parents garage many times growing up. I kept the Bench on top for when I could only sneak in quick peeks image
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    That Seaver is amazing. Wow.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    This was the first set that I thought, now this is what a baseball card should look like, and I first collected in 74. 75 was a big change from 74, but the colored borders dominate the card. 76 was my favorite of the 70s for sure.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 46 and stated collecting a little bit starting with 73's, more with 74 and 75, and full on with the 1976 set. Had 2 brothers around the same ago so everything was tripled in our house. Stayed with it until 1980 and then like everyone else girls come along and you stop collecting. Then got back in around 1986-87. I think everyone has their first big year around age 7-8 with collecting, and anyone that tells me when they collected I can usually get close on age or vice versa. Funny thing is age 12-14 is when everyone stops for a while because money is needed for other things - first girls and then gas $$ image
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    There are a few cards up , I'm really interested in .----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    45 here too. My first pack I ever bought. Was late into the 76 season but I remember getting a Dave Parker. He was the man then. Hit the 77 big time that year. I dint think many are mint after that year either lol
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • I'm following a couple myself. Great cards. I am collecting the Reds cards only, all 9s and 10s, and have 2/3 of them in 10. Tough to find new listings.

Oh and by the way, I'm only 43, so you're way off on the age estimate!

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan