Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1999 All-Century Team Ernie Banks vs Cal Ripken

Just freshly aware in 1999 Ernie Banks was voted to ALL Century Team rosters. Best Rosters
Ripken had the most votes as starter. After looking at the stats I think Ernie Banks under appreciated.

Ripken got the Steaks & 3000 hits but offensively Banks was just as good if not better. Ernie smacked 143 RBI and had 5 years of 40+HR. Doing this while he was the best offensive Shortstop with no speculation he was on PED. If U have to pick SS in their prime who would choose?

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Defense: Ripken was WAY better at shortstop, and played the position for more than twice as many games. Banks had 174 errors in 1125 games (5702 chances), and Ripken had only 225 errors in 2302 games (10853 chances). Ripken had a better fielding percentage, and a better Rtot.

Offense: Ripken had a better batting average (with over 2000 more at bats). Averaged more doubles, more walks, less strikeouts, better OBP, and Ripken leads the majors in GIDP! Oh... wait, nevermind about that last one. lol

Ripken had a WAR of 95.5, and Banks had a WAR of 67.5.

While Banks was awesome in his own right, Ripken is far superior.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While Banks was awesome in his own right, Ripken is far superior. >>

+1, and statistically Wagner was equally far superior to Ripken. Of the three listed, it should go: Wagner, Ripken, Banks. However, I don't consider Banks a SS for these types of discussions.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ernie all the way!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Ripken was the best shortstop in my era.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a shortstop, Ernie was a Gold Glove defender who put up monster offensive numbers. Ripken was a Gold Glove defender who...didn't. I'm willing to take a bit of a hit on defense to get the guy putting up OPS+ seasons of 150 just about every year, as Banks did at SS. That's not to knock Ripken. While I think he's generally overrated, he was a great player, no question about it.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a shortstop, Ernie was a Gold Glove defender who put up monster offensive numbers. Ripken was a Gold Glove defender who...didn't. I'm willing to take a bit of a hit on defense to get the guy putting up OPS+ seasons of 150 just about every year, as Banks did at SS. That's not to knock Ripken. While I think he's generally overrated, he was a great player, no question about it. >>

Chicks did the long ball! I am a fan as well.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set