Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

More newps from NYINC 2015

I actually bought three Italian States pieces from Atlas, but this is the only one whose image came out acceptably enough.

This is a 1/2 Ducato from the Duchy of Modena & Reggio. While researching the item online, I think I found my coin from an earlier CNG auction. I show you my picture (because it took me a while to make this picture!) as well as the lot details from CNG.

ITALY, Modena e Reggio (Duchi). Rainaldo III d’Este. 1695-1737. BI Mezzo Ducato (35mm, 11.51 g, 6h). Modena mint. Dated 1728. Bust right / San Contardo d’Este reclining left on hillside, holding filleted staff; city view of Modena to left; crown to right; denomination in exergue. MIR 832/3; CNI IX 118. EF for type, toned, areas of weak strike, some minor deposits in obverse fields, a few adjustment marks.

Here is the lot: CNG lot

Despite the coin's obvious shortcomings, the coin is actually not bad in hand. It has nice satiny luster, and is conditionally scarce. This coin sold in May, 2013, for a hammer price of $1100. (Yes, I paid more -- shockingly more --- but I think within a fair retail price range.)

The second coin is a Carlino from Naples & Sicily.

ITALY, Napoli (Regno). Alfonso I il Magnanimo (the Magnanimous) d'Aragona. 1442-1458. AR Carlino (27mm, 3.68 g, 8h). Class C. Napoli (Naples) mint; Francesco Senier, mintmaster. Struck 1450-1455. Coat-of-arms; arms of Aragon in first and fourth quarters / Alfonso, holding scepter and globus cruciger, seated facing on throne with lion rampant supports; S (mintmaster initial) to left. CNI XIX 112; cf. Pannuti-Riccio 3e (for type); MIR 54/6; MEC 14, 858-69. Good VF, toned.

Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.26573).

Here is the lot: CNG lot

This Carlino is a lot nicer than CNG's "good VF" grade would suggest. It is now graded AU55 by PCGS, which suggests that CNG's grade is conservative relative to PCGS's. But, from looking at the coin up close, I can truly say that the coin is very richly toned (obverse) and very lustrous. It is a very complex coin, and if it were graded AU58 or MS62, I may not be able to tell the difference. This is a coin where the TPG grade matters little because it has all the charms that it'll ever have no matter AU55 or MS65 because its eye appeal is limited by its strike, not degree of wear.

This coin sold in May, 2014, at a hammer price of $110.

The third coin is a tiny Bolognino from Macerata.

MACERATA Stadt.
Bolognino o. J. (1404/1447). 0,83 g. +DE MACERAT Im Feld A umgeben von vier Ringen//+SANTVS IVLI Im Feld A - N - V - S um eine Kugel. Biaggi 1095.

Prachtvolle Patina, vorzüglich

(Anyone care to translate "coin German" into "coin English" for me?)

Here is the lot: Kuenker lot

This tiny button is very richly toned and a bit of an impulse buy. (Actually, all three were sort of impulse buys.)

It sold in Fall 2014 for a hammer price of 190 €.

Knowing what I paid for these three and how much they sold for in auction, I can safely say that I do my share in supporting my friendly neighborhood rare coin dealer. image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful stuff. I like the Napoli.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The carlino is beautiful. And boy, I know what you mean about supporting one's coin dealer. Some of them; I don't mind too much, if I really want the coin or medal, but CNG is not one of them.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harasha,

I like CNG. They've done well by me (AFAICT). But, in this case, all three coins were purchased from Atlas Numismatics. In the course of my researching the items, I found where he may have acquired them. I didn't ask him (James Ricks) where he got them, or how much he paid for them, but I'm pretty sure that he bought them from auction from CNG for two and Kuenkers for the tiny button.

Anyway, my position is that I don't care how much a dealer pays for a coin. I only care how much I pay. If he paid too much, I feel no obligation to get him out of his mistake. He paid too little, then he is entitled to his bonanza.

BTW, I like James Ricks too. He has a great eye for the stuff I collect and I need him to stay in business. I have no objection to his making a living.

EVP

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    MACERATA Stadt.
    Bolognino o. J. (1404/1447). 0,83 g. +DE MACERAT Im Feld A umgeben von vier Ringen//+SANTVS IVLI Im Feld A - N - V - S um eine Kugel. Biaggi 1095.

Prachtvolle Patina, vorzüglich

----------

MACERATA State

Bolognino (1404-1447 A.D.) 0.83 g. In field, A surrounded by four rings/annulets. // In field, A - N - V - S around a pellet.

Glorious patina, Extra Fine.

(The 13 year old in me chuckled at the reverse description). image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thanks Josh.

Ok, I'll bite. What does "A N V S" mean/represent? (Stop giggling!) Person? Place? Acronym? Is it some derivative of the Latin word ANVM?

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I believe it's the continuation of the legend.

SANTVS IVLIANVS (St. Julian).

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    So the inscription is written thus: SAN/TVS/IVLI/ANVS

Thanks!