Home Sports Talk
Options

HOF Standards

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any list that has DiMaggio and Clemente tier 2 is a joke. How many players had 56 game hitting streaks and 12 gold gloves? Dimaggio was better than Mantle >>

Stick to college football and the Big 10..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any list that has DiMaggio and Clemente tier 2 is a joke. How many players had 56 game hitting streaks and 12 gold gloves? Dimaggio was better than Mantle >>

I know nothing about college football and the Big 10.. >>

I quite agree. Weren't you one of those haters that said no Big Ten team had a chance?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brock had a lifetime BA of .391 in 21 World Series games and there is no way the Cards even make it to any of the three series without him as their leadoff hitter. >>

Brock had some pretty good years in that time, and there is a good chance the Cardinals don't make it to the World Series without him, just as there is a good chance the Cards don't make it to the World Series without a number of players on their team.

None of that changes how good he was, and none of that changes the value of BB, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, Out made. If he has less a value in those than another player, then he just isn't as good.

A mere 87 World Series at bats.. Actually, all that really is, is luck. He just happened to have a few better than normal games.

It isn't any special ability that he had to hit .391 in the World Series, it is just random chance over a small sample size.

If you believe it is something else, then Brock is either dumb, psychic, or lazy....because if he truly had that ability, why only hit .391 when the World Series came around? Why not hit that ALL year, and then they would get to MORE World Series???? Does he not realize that? Is he stupid?

Or maybe he knew he could just hit .301 in the regular season, because they would make it there anyway, then when they got there he could really show what he was made of. Psychic?

Or maybe he felt he didn't want to try as hard because the regular seasons games 'don't mean as much'. Lazy?

That post seasons stuff has been debunked so many times, it is laughable people still bring it up.

And if he was soo good that HE is the reason the team's he played on went to three World Series? What happened from 1969-1979? They didn't even make the playoffs when the playoffs expanded, lol.

So in your language, his 118 SB season meant absolutelyy nothing, because they didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Also in your language, that means Hank Aaron's career basically ended in 1958, because from 1958-1976, they didn't win a World Series. That would make most of his 754 HR's a moot point or non factor. In your language, that must mean he wasn't that good if they couldn't even win a WS in 18 years...since you hail Brock so much because they won two. Can't have it both ways buddy image
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Killebrew still too low. >>

Of course, with your sig line right below that post, why would anyone think you'd feel any different, LOL.. >>

True he was my favorite player. That does mean I (blindly?) admire his abilities, also means that I have followed his career closely and know how good he was. This is another example of not looking close enough.

Top right handed home run hitter in American League of all time. I don't count A-Roid.

Missed two or possibly three prime years due to silly "bonus baby" rule. Clemente was a "bonus baby" the same year. Pittsburgh drafted him away from the Dodgers, was put in the lineup right away, take away 1955-58 and his career numbers get WAY worse, of course no way of knowing how he would have done had he played longer, but early years are usually better than late ones. Harmon's last three were pretty bad.

Only marquee player of his time to shuffle between 1st base 3rd base and left field to help his team get stronger lineup. Had to hurt his defensive ratings, which weren't that good to begin with. Had he stuck to 1st or 3rd, would have helped his weakest area.

Also probably most consistent Home Run hitter; look at 1959-1970. Hit a minimum of 39 home runs (and 96 RBI) every single time he had 500+ at bats............no down years. Hit the most per at bat and the most overall in all of baseball during those years.

Third all time in HR frequency (over 500 hrs) if you ignore steroid guys. First among right handed batters. Easier to hit HRs as a lefty, most pitchers are right handed and ballparks generally bigger to left field than right.

With 8147 At Bats #130 all time he is #7 in HRs #15 in RBIs.

Played most of his career with no other real offensive threats in lineup until Oliva and Carew came along. Allison did have a couple of nice years.

6 times in top 5 MVP voting with one MVP award. Top 50 all time Offensive WAR. Top 20 all time WPA.

I assume this ranking system ignores things like good sportsmanship, so I won't say too much about what a great ambassador to the game he was.

In my mind if he's not in the top tier (only because of his defensive issues) he is a SOLID 2nd tier guy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skin nailed it, again, and that is the reason why I refuse to consider post-season play in determining who ranks ahead of whom. I concede the possibility, as would skin, I'm sure, that if you were comparing two players with 10,000 plate appearances and they came out exactly tied, that looking to their 100 or so plate appearances in the postseason is a valid way to break that tie. But that's the magnitude of what we're talking about here - maybe 1%. And for the vast majority of players, their performance in the postseason - especially if they played a lot - is virtually the same as their performance in the regular season, so even as a tie-breaker postseason play would be useless more often than not.

Jack Morris is one often-cited example of a player who "dominated" in the postseason. His ERA throughout his career was 3.94 and in the postseason it was 3.80; it improved by about 4%. And the regular season winning percentage of the teams he was on that made the postseason was .606, so in 11 postseason decisions, you'd expect Morris to win 6.67 games; and he won 7. How anyone can look at numbers like that and not recognize random variation at play is beyond me. Jack Morris, being neither psychic, lazy, nor stupid, was exactly the same player in the postseason that he was during the regular season. So was Brock, his variation was just more extreme.

BTW - completely updated Tiers coming later this weekend. I have listened to the voices of the people and reallocated the Tiers so that Tier I is smaller, so those in it are not "too far" from Ruth. Some big names are going to drop out (bigger than Yaz).
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Banzi,

Realistically speaking, Killebrew did miss two potentially good years at age 21 and 22. Doubtful they would be anything near his prime caliber years, as at age 23 and 24 he posted OPS+ of 137 and 142. Not unreasonable to expect a couple 120/125 OPS+ for him at age 21/22. Anything more would be held only for the exteme optimists.

Anything before age 21 though would become wild speculation.

Killebrew's peak best peak years were:

His best consecutive four year peak he had an OPS+ of 163................Rice at 146..........Yaz 169..........Ichiro 122
    His best consecutive six year peak he had an OPS+ of 160..................RIce at 140.........Yaz 158..........Ichiro 118
    His best consecutive ten year peak he had an OPS+ of 156.................Rice at 133..........Yaz 147..........Ichiro 117
    his best consecutive twelve year peak he had an OPS+ of 153.............Rice at 130..........Yaz 145..........Ichiro 113

I figured I would just throw Rice in there to highlight how his peak wasn't nearly as good as people imagine(and since he didn't really have a meaningful career outside his 12 year peak, one can see how little he truly offered compared to the truly elite hitters).

Offensively, Killer had better peaks than Yaz(outside the four year peak).

By doing it this way, it sort of eliminate the need to worry too much about how much the longevity, or the bonus baby factors affected him. When his star was shining at his brightest, it shone very bright...and that really is the way most people look at players.

PS, I threw Ichiro in there too because I needed a laugh this Saturday morning when I think of all the people that call him one of the greatest hitters of all-time. He too also illustrates the longevity factor being eliminated by looking at players in this way. Even if Ichiro replicated his peak years for his age 23-26 seasons had he played in the states, he still would have a best four year peak of 122 OPS+.....waaaaaay off the mark of the best hitters. His six year peak would still be 122...waaaaay off the mark of the best hitters. Of course, had he played in the states from the start, he may have just been a platoon player, or not even made it to MLB, so he could go the opposite way too. BUT, by looking at it like this, we don't have to worry about that, because we see his peak laid out clear as day above(In comparison to two elite hitters).

• Options
    The Morris postseason topic is an interesting one and effectively highlights the selective memoryt most people have when remembering players they admired or rooted for. Morris had two terrific postseasons in 1984 and 1991, going 7-0 with an ERA just a shade over 2.00. But he also had two equally putrid postseasons in 1987 and 1992, going 0-4 with an ERA of about 7.25.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The Morris postseason topic is an interesting one and effectively highlights the selective memoryt most people have when remembering players they admired or rooted for. Morris had two terrific postseasons in 1984 and 1991, going 7-0 with an ERA just a shade over 2.00. But he also had two equally putrid postseasons in 1987 and 1992, going 0-4 with an ERA of about 7.25. >>

Well, that's basically Jack Morris in a nutshell. Sometimes he was good and sometimes he was bad; add it all up - whether in the regular season or in the postseason - and he was a very slightly above average pitcher. Jack Morris wasn't even a "good" pitcher, unless your definition of "good" is a lot different than mine and Webster's, and the folks who argue that he should be in the HOF make me cry.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The post season is the reason why players play the game, a World Series ring is what every player covets but only a handful succeed in getting one. Ignoring the postseason is like serving a BLT sandwich without the bacon.
  • Options

<< <i>The post season is the reason why players play the game, a World Series ring is what every plaster covers, but only a handful succeed in getting one. Ignoring the postseason is like serving a BLT sandwich without the bacon. >>

By your standard of measurement, then, Ted Williams wasn't very good after all, was he?

• Options
    Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Ever thought of a career writing headlines for the National Enquirer?
  • Options

<< <i>Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Ever thought of a career writing headlines for the National Enquirer? >>

LOL, no, your posts are entertaining enough..

• Options
    Here they are - Tiers Part 3

Tier I

Hank Aaron
    Ty Cobb
    Lou Gehrig
    Lefty Grove
    Randy Johnson
    Walter Johnson
    Willie Mays
    Stan Musial
    Kid Nichols
    Babe Ruth
    Mike Schmidt
    Honus Wagner
    Ted Williams
    Cy Young

Tier II

Grover Alexander
    Johnny Bench
    Wade Boggs
    George Brett
    Gary Carter
    Eddie Collins
    Bob Feller
    Jimmie Foxx
    Rickey Henderson
    Rogers Hornsby
    Al Kaline
    Greg Maddux
    Mickey Mantle
    Pedro Martinez
    Eddie Mathews
    Christy Mathewson
    Johnny Mize
    Joe Morgan
    Phil Niekro
    Mel Ott
    Gaylord Perry
    Cal Ripken, Jr.
    Frank Robinson
    Tom Seaver
    Tris Speaker
    Carl Yastrzemski

Tier III

Luke Appling
    Ernie Banks
    Yogi Berra
    Bert Blyleven
    Lou Boudreau
    Dan Brouthers
    Roy Campanella
    Rod Carew
    Steve Carlton
    John Clarkson
    Roberto Clemente
    Mickey Cochrane
    Ed Delahanty
    Joe DiMaggio
    Carlton Fisk
    Pud Galvin
    Bob Gibson
    Hank Greenberg
    Harry Heilmann
    Reggie Jackson
    Ferguson Jenkins
    Tim Keefe
    Ralph Kiner
    Nap Lajoie
    Barry Larkin
    Willie McCovey
    Eddie Murray
    Eddie Plank
    Robin Roberts
    Brooks Robinson
    Jackie Robinson
    Amos Rusie
    Ron Santo
    Ozzie Smith
    Duke Snider
    Warren Spahn
    Arky Vaughan
    Ed Walsh
    Robin Yount

Tier IV

Roberto Alomar
    Cap Anson
    Richie Ashburn
    Frank Baker
    Craig Biggio
    Mordecai Brown
    Jim Bunning
    Jesse Burkett
    Orlando Cepeda
    Roger Connor
    Stan Coveleski
    Sam Crawford
    Joe Cronin
    George Davis
    Dizzy Dean
    Bill Dickey
    Bobby Doerr
    Don Drysdale
    Dennis Eckersley
    Red Faber
    Frankie Frisch
    Charlie Gehringer
    Tom Glavine
    Joe Gordon
    Tony Gwynn
    Billy Hamilton
    Carl Hubbell
    Hugh Jennings
    Harmon Killebrew
    Chuck Klein
    Sandy Koufax
    Ted Lyons
    Juan Marichal
    Joe McGinnity
    Joe Medwick
    Paul Molitor
    Hal Newhouser
    Jim Palmer
    Kirby Puckett
    Charles Radbourn
    Jim Rice
    Nolan Ryan
    Ryne Sandberg
    Al Simmons
    George Sisler
    John Smoltz
    Willie Stargell
    Bill Terry
    Frank Thomas
    Dazzy Vance
    Rube Waddell
    Bobby Wallace
    Paul Waner
    Pee Wee Reese
    Mickey Welch
    Deacon White
    Billy Williams
    Vic Willis
    Dave Winfield

Tier V

Luis Aparicio
    Earl Averill
    Dave Bancroft
    Jake Beckley
    Chief Bender
    Roger Bresnahan
    Lou Brock
    Max Carey
    Frank Chance
    Jack Chesbro
    Fred Clarke
    Jimmy Collins
    Earle Combs
    Kiki Cuyler
    Andre Dawson
    Larry Doby
    Hugh Duffy
    Johnny Evers
    Buck Ewing
    Elmer Flick
    Whitey Ford
    Nellie Fox
    Lefty Gomez
    Goose Goslin
    Rich Gossage
    Burleigh Grimes
    Gabby Hartnett
    Billy Herman
    Harry Hooper
    Waite Hoyt
    Catfish Hunter
    Travis Jackson
    Addie Joss
    Willie Keeler
    Joe Kelley
    King Kelly
    Tony Lazzeri
    Freddie Lindstrom
    Ernie Lombardi
    Heinie Manush
    Rabbit Maranville
    Rube Marquard
    Bid McPhee
    Jim O'Rourke
    Herb Pennock
    Tony Perez
    Eppa Rixey
    Phil Rizzuto
    Edd Roush
    Red Ruffing
    Red Schoendienst
    Joe Sewell
    Enos Slaughter
    Don Sutton
    Sam Thompson
    Joe Tinker
    Zack Wheat
    Hack Wilson
    Early Wynn
    Ross Youngs

Tier VI

Jim Bottomley
    Rick Ferrell
    Rollie Fingers
    Chick Hafey
    Jesse Haines
    George Kell
    George Kelly
    Bob Lemon
    Bill Mazeroski
    Tommy McCarthy
    Sam Rice
    Ray Schalk
    Bruce Sutter
    Pie Traynor
    Lloyd Waner
    John Ward
    Hoyt Wilhelm

Some of the players that drop to Tier II just kill me, but setting the bar as high as I heard it should be this is what it looks like. No catchers and no second basemen and no Mantle. And no Yaz (who was not very near the bottom of Tier I as it was).

But overall, I do think that this looks fine overall once we accept that some really great players have to end up in Tier III. Descriptively, Tier I is now nothing but "the best of the best" and if anyone sees a name they don't think belongs at this point - get over yourself, you're just wrong. There is still some fair variability in Tier II form top to bottom, but there is not a single name in there that should prompt anyone to say they don't belong in the HOF. In other words, there may be a quibble at the margins that a player belongs in Tier II, but there is no reasonable argument to be made that any player in Tier II doesn't belong in the HOF at all. Tier III represents a clear drop from Tier II (although at the margins there may be some quibbling about moving up or down between them), but I personally don't see anyone in there that I would say doesn't belong in the HOF. But there are a lot more players in Tier III than in Tier II who were more one-dimensional; HOF fielding and so-so hitting; HOF power, so-so otherwise; HOF peak, not much else. Another clear drop to Tier IV, but still, I don't see anyone in Tier IV that I would say doesn't belong in a HOF defined primarily by peak performance. But for many, many players in Tier IV, I think reasonable arguments can now be made that the player doesn't belong in the HOF, depending on one's own perception of what the HOF should be. Big drop to the average Tier V player, and (with the frustrating exception of Whitey Ford) there's a very reasonable case to be made that NONE of them belong in the HOF. I see a handful (Ford, of course, and Brock, Fox, Collins) that I think are solid HOFers, but the argument that a Tier V player belongs in the HOF is going to be different than the arguments for players in the higher Tiers (in the rare instances when an argument for a player in a higher Tier is necessary). And Tier VI rounds it out with players who have no business in the HOF by anything remotely similar to the same standards applied to everyone else. As I've said, I think Maz and Wilhelm being in the HOF is a good thing, but I acknowledge there are fine arguments to the contrary. Beyond those two, I don't think anything close to a reasonable argument can be made for any of the others.

I've been waiting to update the non-HOFers until I'd settled on a final HOF system, and I think this is it. Not that it's perfect now, but I don't see it getting any better without adding tremendously more complexity, and I'll leave that to someone else if they care enough. But I'll offer my opinion that "had a 56 game hitting streak" or such things have no place in anything that can be called a "system". If you think DiMaggio belongs in Tier I because of that hitting streak, then that's your right and more power to you. But recognize that what you have is an opinion, and as far as winning games or producing runs for a player's team, getting hits in 56 games consecutively has no more value than getting hits in 56 non-consecutive games. It's a unique accomplishment, but in any objective measurement of "great", it doesn't mean anything. In general, if you find yourself making a case that so-and-so was great, or belongs in the HOF, because of some accomplishment that comprises less than 2% of that player's career (his hitting streak, his no-hitters, his postseason, his great September in 2008, etc.) you are not making an objective argument, and you are opening the door to "great" or to the HOF to thousands of other players who have their own unique accomplishments. If Manny Sanguillen happened to have gotten singles in 57 straight games, I hope we'd have had the sense to keep him out of the HOF anyway. DiMaggio was a great player, who also happened to have a 56-game hitting streak; he'd have been just as great without it.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The post season is the reason why players play the game, a World Series ring is what every plaster covers, but only a handful succeed in getting one. Ignoring the postseason is like serving a BLT sandwich without the bacon. >>

By your standard of measurement, then, Ted Williams wasn't very good after all, was he? >>

Do not forget Silvera when discussing your all time greats. He has five WS rings-must have been a terrific player.
  • Options
    There is a threshold that players must meet to be considered "Hall of Fame worthy", and that threshold is usually defined by the attainment of a milestone statistic (e.g. 3000 hits, 500 hrs, 300 wins). Once that threshold has been crossed, a way to distinguish one great player from another is performance in the postseason. Does that make sense to you?
  • Options

Actually, to answer your other question, pretty much everything you say doesn't make any sense at all. You are good comic relief, and way for me to cure boredom, like a cat just playing with a ball of yarn.

First, World Series rings are a team accomplishment. They have a place when it comes to measuring teams. We aren't measuring teams.

When measuring individuals, that is a completely different 'ball game'.

We are measuring players, and since you understand that the goal IS to win a World Series, then you should understand that the players who create the most runs, create the most wins. The teams that win the most games, have the best chance of winning a World Series.

The way to understand how a player creates runs, is by simply looking at the Play by Play data. There is no mystery there...everything is accounted for, and the value of each event...BB, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, and out made all have very concrete value... and yes, those can all be looked at in game situation.

Again, based on YOUR criteria PSASAP, Hank Aaron was useless from 1958-1976 because they did not win a World Series. So by your very definition, there will be hundred of ballplayers in the history of the game who would be viewed as better than Aaron.

Your criteria puts Ted Williams below Bill Mazeroski. Your criteria puts Willie Mays below Lou Brock, as Mays hit .239 in the WS with ZERO HR. Based on your criteria, Ray Knight would be better than Rod Carew.

You see, guys get hot and cold all the time. When it comes to a short amount of games in the post season, that doesn't change. If you believe it does, then you still need to answer the problem if Lou Brock was stupid, psychic, or lazy. Which one was he? Because if he is measured by his high BA in the World Series, why on earth did he not do that in the regular season so they could get to MORE WS????

Oh, and your guy ICHIRO never even played in a WS!!! So by your very own definition, you just devalued your hero. So whenever it comes time to talk about him in the pantheon of hitters, I better hear you say that he can't be ranked too high, because he never got to a WS.

PS, Dallas, yes, I agree. If after 10,000 plate appearances two guys are tied, I could see the 200 odd post season at bats being used to break the tie.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a threshold that players must meet to be considered "Hall of Fame worthy", and that threshold is usually defined by the attainment of a milestone statistic (e.g. 3000 hits, 500 hrs, 300 wins). Once that threshold has been crossed, a way to distinguish one great player from another is performance in the postseason. Does that make sense to you? >>

While it may be true in many cases that reaching such "milestone" statistics will often coincide with a HOF resume (after all, most truly great players will reach those milestones because they are that good to begin with), attempting to measure the overall greatness of a player by simply reducing your analysis of how great a player is by being able to reach these milstones is a rather superficial method of evaluation. If Jamie Moyer had stuck around to win 31 more games and reach 300, is he a HOFer then? If Dave Kingman stuck around a couple more seasons to reach 500 home runs (pre-steroid era no less!), is he a HOFer then?

Postseason performance may be significant to the individual player and his team trying to win a championship, but as a factor to be used in determining where a player lands in the pantheon of baseball greatness, it is overall too small a sample size to be used in the context of an entire playing career and it also unfairly penalizes truly great players like Ted Williams or Ernie Banks whose teams weren't good enough to routinely qualify for postseason play. And as the Morris postseason myth also illustrates, give a player a large enough sample size in postaseason play, and he will almost always or invariably revert to his career mean statistics.

• Options
    Skin, the only thing comical in this thread is your slavish adherence to the play by play data that you keep pinning your arguments on. You're like some zealot who quotes the Bible as though it's some kind of last word on everything. Try thinking for yourself sometime, it's a very healthy thing to do, and will help your intellectual growth.
  • Options
    Non-HOFers (the one's I thought of, and no cheaters)

Tier III

Dick Allen
    Bobby Grich
    Keith Hernandez
    Mike Mussina

Tier IV

Sal Bando
    Albert Belle
    Bobby Bonds
    Ken Boyer
    Bert Campaneris
    Norm Cash
    Cesar Cedeno
    Ron Cey
    Will Clark
    Rocky Colavito
    Darrell Evans
    Dwight Evans
    Jim Fregosi
    Pedro Guerrero
    Ron Guidry
    Stan Hack
    Don Mattingly
    Sam McDowell
    Minnie Minoso
    Dale Murphy
    Graig Nettles
    Tony Oliva
    Dave Parker
    Rico Petrocelli
    Vada Pinson
    Tim Raines
    Al Rosen
    Ted Simmons
    Ken Singleton
    Reggie Smith
    Darryl Strawberry
    Gene Tenace
    Luis Tiant
    Alan Trammell
    Lou Whitaker
    Wilbur Wood
    Jimmy Wynn

Tier V

Jack Clark
    Jose Cruz
    Bill Freehan
    Kirk Gibson
    Gil Hodges
    Frank Howard
    Tommy John
    Jim Kaat
    Fred Lynn
    Jack Morris
    Bobby Murcer
    Boog Powell
    Mariano Rivera
    Roy White

Tier VI

Matty Alou
    Ron Fairly
    Steve Garvey

The interesting group, I think, is Tier IV. An argument probably exists that this or that player in this Tier doesn't belong in the HOF, but as a group, these guys belong in the same conversation as most of the players in the HOF Tier IV.

And Bobby Grich is probably the most underrated player of all time. He got 2.6% of the vote in his single appearance on a HOF ballot, but the man is 83rd all time in offensive WAR and 84th all time in defensive WAR, and did that without "accumulating" since he's 234th in games played. Easily one of the 100 greatest non-pitchers of all time, and all but forgotten today. Never got to play in a WS, and suffers as much as any player from the impenetrable ignorance of fans and sportswriters regarding the value of a walk.
  • Options
    I've always thought that Keith Hernandez doesn't get as much support as he deserves~he may not be a HOFer, but he should at least be in the conversation. I'm sure that lack of power and playing a corner infield position hurts him in the eyes of the voters, but he was an above average hitter (.296/.384/.821, with career OPS+ of 128 and WAR of 60.0), with an MVP and two other finishes at #2 and #4, and he was outstanding defensively~one of the very best I've ever seen, with 12 Gold Gloves. Good to see him land in Tier III.

• Options

<< <i>Skin, the only thing comical in this thread is your slavish adherence to the play by play data that you keep pinning your arguments on. You're like some zealot who quotes the Bible as though it's some kind of last word on everything. Try thinking for yourself sometime, it's a very healthy thing to do, and will help your intellectual growth. >>

That is all I do is think for myself, and only a fool would not 'think' to look at the play by play data, because it solves any and all mystery that fans have been arguing about for the last 60 years.

You still have a lot of questions to asnwer to show us how you 'think':

1) Was Lou Brock Stupid, psychic, or lazy? Which one of those explains why he chose not to use the 'ability' he had to hit .390 in the WS, and not use it in the regular season, where if he hit .390(or anywhere close), his teams would have went to MORE WS!?

Lets hear you 'think' think that through.

2)Why on earth do you keep claiming(with your criteria) that Bill Mazeroski was better than Ted Williams? Or Brock better than Mays? Lets hear you 'think' that through.

3)WHy do you call Ichiro an all-time great hitter, when you yourself said that it is what a player does in the World Series, and that Winning a World Series, is what separates the greats??? How on one hand can you call him a great, and then on the other hand say the stuff you said about Brock, when Ichiro doesn't even have a single hit in the WS, nor a WS ring??? Hmmmm?

Shall I call you Sherwin Williams, since you have painted yourself into a corner??

• Options
    I have never mentioned Ichiro (except for just now) in any of my posts, I'll just chalk that up to another one of your inaccuracies. I'm still waiting for you to predict the two teams who will face each other in the 2015 World Series, based, of course, on your knowledge and understanding of the play by play data. Hell, you can pick four if you like.
  • Options
    1) Was Lou Brock Stupid, psychic, or lazy? Which one of those explains why he chose not to use the 'ability' he had to hit .390 in the WS, and not use it in the regular season, where if he hit .390(or anywhere close), his teams would have went to MORE WS!?

Lets hear you 'think' think that through.

2)Why on earth do you keep claiming(with your criteria) that Bill Mazeroski was better than Ted Williams? Or Brock better than Mays? Lets hear you 'think' that through.

3)WHy do you call Ichiro an all-time great hitter, when you yourself said that it is what a player does in the World Series, and that Winning a World Series, is what separates the greats??? How on one hand can you call him a great, and then on the other hand say the stuff you said about Brock, when Ichiro doesn't even have a single hit in the WS, nor a WS ring??? Hmmmm?

Shall I call you Sherwin Williams, since you have painted yourself into a corner??

Yes, you have lauded Ichiro a great hitter when you disagreed his OPS+ failings. You are welcome now to clarify that Ichiro cannot be a very good hitter since he has ZERO WS hits, and ZERO WS rings. Please clarify. Was Ichiro a better hitter than Eddie Murray, Schmidt, or Reggie Jackson? I can throw a few more scenarios/players to see how well you 'think'.

You still have questions to answer. You 'claim' to think for yourself, lets hear some of it. You made some statements, now back them up with some sort of though process. Seems you really aren't the 'thinker' you claim to be.

I've cleaned up on futures in baseball(especially on breakout pitchers image. I am no longer involved in that area, and if I was, I certainly wouldn't share any of my predictions with you. I would never even bother betting on teams winning a WS, because that is way too much of a crapshoot, because once in there, luck, chance, and circumstance play too large a role. Best team doesn't always win the championship image

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I've heard Clemente's name frequently on that elite level with Ruth, Gehrig, etc. I've always thought that Clemente was outstanding, but not to that level. I think a fair comparison would be Clemente to Al Kaline. Clemente was a great outfielder, but so was Kaline. Kaline might have been better. Kaline had more power. Hard to say for sure, but I'd go with Kaline, which means I go with Clemente being on Tier 2 with him, and not higher.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Ted Williams was a great hitter and certainly the greatest Mexican-American player ever.
  • Options

<< <i>Ted Williams was a great hitter and certainly the greatest Mexican-American player ever. >>

Like I thought...just not a whole lot of substance or thinking behind your words.

I enjoy these boards for the opportunity to get my thought process out there. I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts, but not when they make claims and have absolutely no semblance of thought behind it, or have any evidence(not rooted in bias or contradictions like yours) to support it.

I'll check back tomorrow on the topic at hand...but PSASAP, you seem to have disqualified yourself as one worthy of response(on this topic). If I'm bored, I still may partake though. Till then.

• Options
    Ted Williams was Mexican-American, look it up.
  • Options

<< <i>Ted Williams was Mexican-American, look it up. >>

Actually, to be technically correct, Williams was Welsh-Irish-Mexican American.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the work, analysis and the attempt to make some sense of the HOF-just having trouble with it. I am not arguing... just uncertain whether there really is a level playing field for the comparison to be calculated.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I've heard Clemente's name frequently on that elite level with Ruth, Gehrig, etc. I've always thought that Clemente was outstanding, but not to that level. I think a fair comparison would be Clemente to Al Kaline. Clemente was a great outfielder, but so was Kaline. Kaline might have been better. Kaline had more power. Hard to say for sure, but I'd go with Kaline, which means I go with Clemente being on Tier 2 with him, and not higher. >>

If you heard Clemente in the same breath as Ruth or Gehrig, then what you heard was kooky talk, and I agree that Kaline is a much better comparison. But Kaline was better. Clemente was a better fielder, but Kaline was good. The difference between a great and a good right fielder is very small in the scheme of things, and Kaline was better at virtually everything else, although not by a mile. Kaline's OBP was higher, his slugging average was higher, he ran the bases better, and he ground into fewer DPs. They were both Tier II before the realignment, but there's a clear gap between the two, and the line between Tier II and Tier III falls in the gap now.
  • Options
    I'll check back tomorrow on the topic at hand...but PSASAP, you seem to have disqualified yourself as one worthy of response(on this topic). If I'm bored, I still may partake though. Till then.

Does this mean I'm not coming to your house for the Super Bowl? Some friend you are.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    As I said, ignoring OBP,
    >>

Ignoring OBP is ignoring about half a player's contribution to hitting. Makes zero sense to do that. >>

I never meant to imply that we should completely ignore OBP. But it also shouldn't be taken as the be-all end-all gospel for rating a player. Having an OBP of .375 is wonderful. Combining it with a .391 slugging %? Not so much.

Again, we're talking a guy who had seven full seasons where he hit 15 or fewer homers. That's fine if you're a 2B but a corner outfielder? Playing in Fenway? No.

You'll get no argument from me saying he wasn't spectacular from 1967-70. The question is: what the heck happened the rest of those years?

And, really, what argument is there for having Yaz and Mantle in the same tier? Mantle had a significantly higher peak, had a longer peak, and was still an OPS+ of 143 his final season. His career OPS+ of 172 is higher than all but two individual seasons for Yaz. He was better defensively than Yaz.

So we've got: longer peak, better peak, better defense. How was Yaz ever a tier above Mantle to begin with?

As for Kid Nichols, I'm not understanding him as a top 20 guy either. The only thing he's got going for him is an ERA+ of 140 and his 361 wins. Those are both awesome, no doubt. But he never led the league in ERA or Ks whereas Christy Mathewson led in ERA five times, Ks five times, ERA+ five times, FIP EIGHT times, and led in WHIP four times. You look at their numbers and there's a smattering of black ink on Nichols's record - Mathewson's record is covered in black ink.

What's the argument in favor of Nichols?
  • Options

<< <i>I've always thought that Keith Hernandez doesn't get as much support as he deserves~he may not be a HOFer, but he should at least be in the conversation. I'm sure that lack of power and playing a corner infield position hurts him in the eyes of the voters, but he was an above average hitter (.296/.384/.821, with career OPS+ of 128 and WAR of 60.0), with an MVP and two other finishes at #2 and #4, and he was outstanding defensively~one of the very best I've ever seen, with 12 Gold Gloves. Good to see him land in Tier III. >>

Compare him to John Olerud...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've always thought that Keith Hernandez doesn't get as much support as he deserves~he may not be a HOFer, but he should at least be in the conversation. I'm sure that lack of power and playing a corner infield position hurts him in the eyes of the voters, but he was an above average hitter (.296/.384/.821, with career OPS+ of 128 and WAR of 60.0), with an MVP and two other finishes at #2 and #4, and he was outstanding defensively~one of the very best I've ever seen, with 12 Gold Gloves. Good to see him land in Tier III. >>

Compare him to John Olerud... >>

Olerud deserves consideration as well, and their career batting numbers are pretty similar (Hernandez has a slight edge in OPS+ and grounded in fewer DPs, while Olerud has the edge in OBP%, slugging % and OPS), though Hernandez was the better fielder, but I would also say that Olerud played the bulk of his career in an era during which offensive production on the whole was higher than when Hernandez played (who also played his home games in tougher hitting parks, Olerud's three years in NY notwithstanding), so I would still give the nod to Hernandez over Olerud for a hypothetic HOF vote...though certainly not considered a basestealing thread, Hernandez also has a clear edge in stolen bases, too.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've heard Clemente's name frequently on that elite level with Ruth, Gehrig, etc. I've always thought that Clemente was outstanding, but not to that level. I think a fair comparison would be Clemente to Al Kaline. Clemente was a great outfielder, but so was Kaline. Kaline might have been better. Kaline had more power. Hard to say for sure, but I'd go with Kaline, which means I go with Clemente being on Tier 2 with him, and not higher. >>

If you heard Clemente in the same breath as Ruth or Gehrig, then what you heard was kooky talk, and I agree that Kaline is a much better comparison. But Kaline was better. Clemente was a better fielder, but Kaline was good. The difference between a great and a good right fielder is very small in the scheme of things, and Kaline was better at virtually everything else, although not by a mile. Kaline's OBP was higher, his slugging average was higher, he ran the bases better, and he ground into fewer DPs. They were both Tier II before the realignment, but there's a clear gap between the two, and the line between Tier II and Tier III falls in the gap now. >>

Kaline never won a MVP award and you think he was better than Clemente? Clemente had a better career and its not even close. Kaline did win an award in Clemente's name lol.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

<< <i>I never meant to imply that we should completely ignore OBP. But it also shouldn't be taken as the be-all end-all gospel for rating a player. Having an OBP of .375 is wonderful. Combining it with a .391 slugging %? Not so much.

Again, we're talking a guy who had seven full seasons where he hit 15 or fewer homers. That's fine if you're a 2B but a corner outfielder? Playing in Fenway? No.

You'll get no argument from me saying he wasn't spectacular from 1967-70. The question is: what the heck happened the rest of those years?

And, really, what argument is there for having Yaz and Mantle in the same tier? Mantle had a significantly higher peak, had a longer peak, and was still an OPS+ of 143 his final season. His career OPS+ of 172 is higher than all but two individual seasons for Yaz. He was better defensively than Yaz.

So we've got: longer peak, better peak, better defense. How was Yaz ever a tier above Mantle to begin with?

As for Kid Nichols, I'm not understanding him as a top 20 guy either. The only thing he's got going for him is an ERA+ of 140 and his 361 wins. Those are both awesome, no doubt. But he never led the league in ERA or Ks whereas Christy Mathewson led in ERA five times, Ks five times, ERA+ five times, FIP EIGHT times, and led in WHIP four times. You look at their numbers and there's a smattering of black ink on Nichols's record - Mathewson's record is covered in black ink.

What's the argument in favor of Nichols? >>

Whether or not to ignore OBP isn't really the issue - I think everyone with sense knows it can't be ignored. But "not ignoring" it isn't nearly enough - that leaves open weighting slugging by 90% and OBP by 10%, or other such foolishness. It counts more or less the same as slugging, and I think hardly anyone does that once they get fixated on home runs and RBIs. And I know hardly anyone appreciates how much more important OBP is than batting average, which is why singles hitters who don't take many walks occupy 80% of the Most Overrated list.

And yes, it's true that Mantle had an OPS+ of 143 in his final season. At age 36. What you are doing - what most everyone does - is look at the years Yaz was able to play past age 36 - all seven of them with an OPS+ of 112 - and not only refuse to give it any value, but actually use them to reduce his value up to that point by referring to his career averages and comparing them to Mantle's (or anyone else's who wasn't good enough to play past age 36.

All that said, sure, Mantle was better. But your question confuses me since Yaz never was in a higher Tier than Mantle.

As for Nichols and Mathewson, that's a hard comparison to make and I could probably be convinced either way as to which was better. But there are two factors that you didn't mention so I will to make sure everyone is aware of them. Nichols, at his peak, pitched a lot more innings per year than did Mathewson. I realize that this is in part due to the different decades in which they pitched, but it's there, and it gives Nichols a little bump. Second, and more importantly, Nichols peak occurred with a home park that was so much a hitter's paradise that it would make Fenway look tough by comparison. Mathewson, on the other hand, pitched most of his career in a park it which it was next to impossible to hit a home run. "Black Ink" and such things, simply don't work in an apples and oranges comparison like these two represent. Mathewson should lead the league in stuff a lot more often than Nichols, and did, but the same is true of most any pitcher on the Giants; the advantage of pitching there was enormous, especially compared to the poor Beaneater pitchers.

I'm comfortable enough that Nichols was better than Mathewson, but the margin between them is really pretty small. If you think Mathewson was the better of the two, that's fine and you may be right. But if you think that there's a large gap between them, then I think you're wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know nothing about college football and the Big 10.. >>

I quite agree. Weren't you one of those haters that said no Big Ten team had a chance?

image >>

I don't follow or care for college football and wouldn't make such a statement about an area I'm not well versed or knowledgeable about. You ought to take the same advice here. image

• Options

<< <i> I'll check back tomorrow on the topic at hand...but PSASAP, you seem to have disqualified yourself as one worthy of response(on this topic). If I'm bored, I still may partake though. Till then.

Does this mean I'm not coming to your house for the Super Bowl? Some friend you are. >>

Make no mistake, I'd have beers with you anytime. I have these debates with my buddies over beers all the time...great times.
  • Options
    Tabe, OB% isn't being taken as the be all end all. It simply is part of the equation, just as SLG% is. Actually, they each comprise about half the hitters hitting value.

Enough on Yaz for now...I broke down his prime and outside prime years above earlier. He wasn't average for 19 years. I deleted the repost of that here, because I see a more interesting topic below in my post image

I personally would put Mantle ahead of Yaz due to Mantle's extreme peak of greatness with a 188 OPS+ over a ten year span, and a 15 year peak with a 177 OPS+...coming from the CF position, and while also recognizing it was injury that cost Mantle a longer career, rather than ability. People got fooled into thinking Mantle had a bad year in his last year, because they didn't account for the league wide decline in offense. It was too bad Mantle didn't stick around for the next few years when league offense came back up.

I could make a good case for Mantle being the best baseball player ever while in his prime....even better than Ruth, because I will certainly take into account league wide competition, the fact that Ruth had a much easier job to separate from his peers because his league was filled with dead ball style hitters, as well as the population of viable baseball players to draw from that furthered that gap even more. Also, the tools such as Mantle's blazing speed that was not properly utilized due to the league and team style at the time.

Defensively speaking, any lack of Putouts by Mantle is more likely to be a result of their pitching staff, and/or deferring to LF/RF on the easy put outs, as opposed to it being his ability. A man of Mantle's speed and baseball ability, I have extreme doubts any lack of putouts are due to his ability(compared to that of other CF's in his time in different scenarios). That is part of the reason why defensive measurements should not be put on par with offensive. Defense does make a difference, but the measurements used brings the validity scale down.

Mantle had a consecutive ten year peak where he AVERAGED a 188 OPS+. To put that into perspective, Willie Mays' singled best season was 185, and his next best 175. I used 'consecutive' years, because that brings reliability to a player(and team), rather than their best scattered years.

Mantle's best consecutive four year peak was a 200 OPS+. He stole 52 bases and was caught only 8 times in that peak. He was blazing fast, and had great baseball sense. Those SB totals are held down due to his team's philosophy and league philosophy. He was so fast, and there is no way his lack of putouts in the OF are due to ability. When looking at a lack of putouts compared to Mays, it is stemming mainly from two things 1)The sheer number of flyball opportunities, most likely stemming from their pitching staff, and 2)The deferring to RF/LF taking the routine fly balls. Some guys take ALL of those, while others defer. That will severely skew a defensive measurement when you have two guys on the opposite side of that spectrum. As such, there is no defensive measurement that could close that offensive gap between Mantle and Mays in their primes.

Mantle was hands down the best player of his era during his peak, both the four year, and ten year.

Comparing to Ruth takes further steps, and more challenging defensive steps since Ruth was not capable of being a viable centerfielder. The era adjustments(as mentioned above), when done in painstaking detail, could certainly put Mantle ahead of Ruth when measuring them at their peaks.

Here is a quick Ruth/Mantle comparison below, using their four year consecutive peak, the time where their stars shone brightest:

Mantle 200 OPS+....or 309 batter runs
    Ruth..226 OPS+.....or 361 batter runs. He missed a few extra games one year, so I bumped up his batter runs by 5 more. Note that would be higher than any other four year run Ruth had.

Lets look at the things that will close that gap 1)Baserunning, 2)Defense, 3)The era they played in.

The first concrete thing to look at is baserunning. Mantle stole 52 bases and was caught 8 times. Ruth stole 40 and was caught 39 times(one of those CS years is estimated). In terms of run value, that would give Mantle about 12 runs above average, and Ruth losing about -12. Just in the actual stolen bases, Mantle gains 24 runs above average.

Batter runs w/ stolen base value added:
    Mantle 321
    Ruth 349

But baserunning just doesn't involve stolen bases, it also involves baserunning by advancing bases on extra hits. Typically, stolen bases are a good indicator of a players overall baserunning ability, and usually the runs saved/created will fall somewhere a little lower than the runs createdby the SB. If we only take half of the run value of the stolen bases we have:

Batter runs w/ stolen bases and baserunning value added. This is not philosophical adjustments, but rather concrete run value they produced, and Mantle is almost already at Ruth's level:

Mantle 327
    Ruth 343

I have not taken into account the league or team philosophy for Mantle yet, because he was more than capable of getting more stolen bases, only to be held down by his manager/team/league. So in terms of judging a players baseball value/ability, this has to be taken into account, because an astute manager/league could utilize this. I'm not going to go bananas with this, but it is certainly within the realm to imagine Mantle increasing his SB value by about 25%...so that would be an extra 3 more SB runs.

New total:

Mantle 331
    Ruth 343.

So without even looking at Defense, Mantle in his four year peak is only 12 runs behind Ruth. Being able to play CF alone is worth a few runs year, compared to a guy being only capable of playing a corner outfield. I'm not going to go crazy on this adjustment, so I will lessen that to only TWO runs per year. For four years, that is eight runs.

Runs with baserunning/SB/and the value of playing CF vs RF

Mantle 339
    Ruth 343.

Now this does not take into account their actual defensive ability. As mentioned above with the defensive flaws, Mantle gets punished a bit despite his blazing speed...but I don't see Ruth doing anything nearly as good as defensively as Mantle, as compared to peers, so I'm not even going to touch this part yet.

Mantle 339
    Ruth 343.

Now we are down to the era adjustment. Considering that Ruth played in an era with a league that was filled with dead ball style hitters, it was very easy to outdistance himself from them, as evidenced by him outhomering every single team in the league. That simply was not possible to do in Mantle's time, as it may take hitting 175 HR's to do it. This is about as obvious as it gets in terms of this advantage Ruth has. This alone would be worth about 5-10 runs per year. Going on the low side of 5 runs per year, we have the following:

Mantle 359
    Ruth 343

Next is the overall talent level of the league period, including pitchers they faced. The population of viable players in the US was much smaller in Ruth's time, compared to that of Mantle's. This adjustment could fluctuate wildly....and im not even going to add the adjustment, because Mantle is ahead of Ruth already.

So given all that, with still more things in Mantle's favor over Ruth(such like his ability to get more SB, and his actual defensive ability that may not have been judged properly due to the problems with defensive measurements), and a more stringent era adjustment in favor of Mantle, that I didn't bother to convert in terms of runs, Mantle really has a strong case to be viewed as better than Ruth in their absolute four year prime peaks.

PS. The crazy thing about Mantle is that he had ANOTHER separate consecutive four year peak that doesn't include any of the above years where he hit:
    194 OPS+, with 29SB, and 5CS. Then the leg injuries started taking its toll on him.

Mantle's ten year peak where he had a 188 OPS+, he had 116 SB, and was caught only 19 times for a remarkable 86%(which is a better rate than Willie Mays in his ten year prime 237/72 for 76%).

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Banzi,

Realistically speaking, Killebrew did miss two potentially good years at age 21 and 22. Doubtful they would be anything near his prime caliber years, as at age 23 and 24 he posted OPS+ of 137 and 142. Not unreasonable to expect a couple 120/125 OPS+ for him at age 21/22. Anything more would be held only for the exteme optimists.

Anything before age 21 though would become wild speculation.

Killebrew's peak best peak years were:

His best consecutive four year peak he had an OPS+ of 163................Rice at 146..........Yaz 169..........Ichiro 122
    His best consecutive six year peak he had an OPS+ of 160..................RIce at 140.........Yaz 158..........Ichiro 118
    His best consecutive ten year peak he had an OPS+ of 156.................Rice at 133..........Yaz 147..........Ichiro 117
    his best consecutive twelve year peak he had an OPS+ of 153.............Rice at 130..........Yaz 145..........Ichiro 113

I figured I would just throw Rice in there to highlight how his peak wasn't nearly as good as people imagine(and since he didn't really have a meaningful career outside his 12 year peak, one can see how little he truly offered compared to the truly elite hitters).

Offensively, Killer had better peaks than Yaz(outside the four year peak).

By doing it this way, it sort of eliminate the need to worry too much about how much the longevity, or the bonus baby factors affected him. When his star was shining at his brightest, it shone very bright...and that really is the way most people look at players.

PS, I threw Ichiro in there too because I needed a laugh this Saturday morning when I think of all the people that call him one of the greatest hitters of all-time. He too also illustrates the longevity factor being eliminated by looking at players in this way. Even if Ichiro replicated his peak years for his age 23-26 seasons had he played in the states, he still would have a best four year peak of 122 OPS+.....waaaaaay off the mark of the best hitters. His six year peak would still be 122...waaaaay off the mark of the best hitters. Of course, had he played in the states from the start, he may have just been a platoon player, or not even made it to MLB, so he could go the opposite way too. BUT, by looking at it like this, we don't have to worry about that, because we see his peak laid out clear as day above(In comparison to two elite hitters). >>

Killebrew's claim to fame is home runs per at bat. I don't see anyone who ever led the American League more than 6 times except Ruth and Williams who were both left handed and possibly the two best hitters of all time.

NOWHERE in my post did I refer to OPS+ when making a case for Killer. Bringing in a leadoff guy to compare with Yaz and Killebrew is of course laughable. To make a fair comparison you need to bring in similar players, Rice is not a bad example, Jim was not the player either one of these guys were.

Let's go with YOUR favorite stat OPS+. Taking out the cheaters, current players and anyone with 15 years or less, Killebrew ranks 28th all time in OPS+.

Had Killebrew been put into the minors in 1954 and 1955 he certainly COULD have had three more full major league seasons of productivity. A conservative estimate gives him 20-25-35 home runs in the three years giving him an "adjusted" home run total total of 653. He certainly produced great home run numbers as soon as he was allowed to play in 1959, being a league leader (tie with Colavito), with a league leading home run per at bat number as well. Looking at his consistent career numbers, he may have hit 30-40-45 in those "missing" years as well, giving him an optimistic total of 688. We'll never know.

As you point out, his OPS+ would probably not have changed much. Harmon struck out more and walked less in his early years. He was able to dramatically improve his strikeout to walk ratio in the 2nd half of his career. Griffith Stadium also would have had an effect, if you take a look, you will see that it was a very big ballpark to left field and left center, so that might have helped the number.

Looking only at OPS+ Killebrew was a much better ballplayer than Yaz outside of the four year peak. Interesting though, I assumed Yaz's numbers would be higher than Killers by more than they were during those 4 years! Longevity and defensive ability are in Carl's favor, but do not mean enough to make Yaz a tier 1 and Harmon a tier 3.

Reenforcing my feelings that Harm was a "Tier 1" player!!!!!!!

Chiming in on another topic.

No way on earth that Yaz is better than Mantle. Mickey should have won at least 2 more MVP's and was just so superior to EVERYBODY from 1954-1964 he could have won the award almost every year.

It's really a superb accomplishment that Carl was able to play at a high level for so many years, but to say his great 4 out of 6 year peak can remotely compare to one of the best 10 year peaks in offensive production boggles my mind!

Weather we agree or not, nice work and a good debate!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Banzi,

I was agreeing with you in regard to Killebrew. Ichiro was brought into that mix to show a guy whom some claim to be an all-time great hitter, and that chart illustrated how badly he fares against the likes of Killer or Yaz.

But I'm finding more steam in the Mantle as the best all-time in his prime...so I'm onto another topic image

Back when I was doing more into the population studies, I was finding how drastic the player pool difference was between Ruth and Mantle's time, and that was based on the overall population. When you include the race barrier factor(which I didn't dwell too much on above), that elite talent pool gap widens even more between the two.

Looking at Mantle compared to his peers, it can be as simple in one full swoop as removing Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Banks, F. Robby, from the leader boards when comparing Mantle to his peers, to get an idea how much easier Ruth had to distance from his peers because those type of guys weren't allowed to play...as you can't find 165 OPS+ guys on the bench to replace Mays, as guys of that caliber would already be employed.

Funny, for your guy Killebrew, that same exercise puts him as #2 all-time HR leader(when the roids guys are also removed). Considering that the population advance puts Killer at facing tougher pitchers as well, a claim can be made for him to be as good a HR hitter as Ruth.

In regards to Mantle, as pointed out above, if given his proper due defensively(considering he was the fastest man in MLB), and his baserunning, we may not even have to go into the population area to see Mantle as better than Ruth when in their primes.
  • Options
    The reason for mentioning Yaz and Mantle together is that Mantle was such a vastly superior player - as in they are not even close. Not. Even. Close. - that any rating system putting them in the same grouping is seriously flawed. Yaz played 23 seasons, Mantle 18. So, yeah, Yaz gets some credit for those extra seasons, even if he averaged just 118 games over them. Those 5 extra "eh" seasons don't come anywhere near offsetting the huge advantage Mantle has for his 18 years. Mantle was faster (a LOT faster), hit for a higher average, hit for more power, walked more, slugged more, played a much tougher defensive position at a higher level, had a longer peak, had a higher peak, you name it.

Like the above poster said, Mantle is a lot closer to greatest ever than he is to being in the same realm as Yaz.

As for Nichols, thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    More on Mantle. Statistically speaking, as pointed out above, Mantle has a very strong case to be the best baseball player ever during his prime years.

When viewing lists such as these, I look at them in two ways:

1)Measuring players purely against their peers that they played with/against in a statistical analysis. Baseball lends itself well to this kind of analysis, unlike other sports. This is fairly accurate, but as pointed out above, there are some flaws since not all peers were created equal(i.e the Ruth/Mantle example where Ruth had far less elite peers to compete against). That has to be accounted for(and Dallas did), but the level of which to adjust is a difficult one. That being said, this is still the meat of any baseball player analysis.

2)Measuring players vs their peers that played throughout MLB history. This sounds like the first one, but what I am talking about here is literally making observations how one may fare if they actually played in a different era against another set of peers, and different league environment. This is basically a wild guessing game no doubt, but there are some concrete things to look at, and that is a players physical tools(and their ability to utilize such tools).

Mantle possessed two tools that separated him from virtually every other player on the planet. He had the ability to hit the ball as far as any human in recorded history, and he was the fastest runner in his time. Basically, Power and Speed. But he didn't just have power, he had prodigious power. He couldn't just run fast, he had the fastest recorded time to first base, and he turned heads with his running speed. He was the best at both. Those abilities would give him an advantage over almost every other HOF player, as those essential baseball skills translate to any era, park, or league. I'm not talking about a power/speed guy who could just do both, he could do both better than anyone. That is the rarest of the rare.

Note I also said, "the ability to utilize such tools." Glenallen Hill could probably hit balls as far as Mantle, but he simply wasn't a good enough hitter to utilize that talent enough in games. Bo Jackson may have been as fast a runner, but he too simply was not a good enough hitter to get on base frequently enough and utilize that tool. I don't want anyone to mistake that I am saying someone like Ray Lankford should be viewed as greater because he had some power/speed combo. Mantle was at the top all-time for measurable power, as well as measurable speed...and he had the baseball ability to utilize such talents.

There is no other elite HOF player that had both of those important measurable baseball commodities as good as Mantle did, and backed it up with performances to match.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff on Mantle; no doubt one of the game's greatest. But I do want to clear one thing up, because it seems to have had at least some bearing on this thread's current concentration on Mantle - I never said, and I don't think anyone ever said, that Yaz was better than Mantle. I'll add a few more qualitative comments on how I developed my Tiers:

"Peak" value is, as the name implies, a measure of the highest point attained by the player. Most of the value attributed under "peak" accrues in that player's best three seasons; additional value accrues if the player's next best seasons are close to that peak but at a much lower rate. For a player like Mantle, where the drop-off from peak to 12th best season is relatively low, much of the value of seasons 4 through 12 folds over into "meat" and is weighted much less. Thus, the way I've done this strongly favors players like Yaz and works against players like Mantle. That's not a defense of my method, it's an explanation. My method works that way because I tried to avoid my own biases and match my method, to any degree that was at least plausible, to the players actually in the HOF. If I had done it any other way, players like George Sisler, Jim Rice or Orlando Cepeda and dozens more in that same mold, would have congregated in a large lump at the bottom, barely distinguishable from the Tommy McCarthy's and High Pockets Kelly's that end up at the bottom no matter how you approach it. Under this method, players like Mantle and Yaz - who have similar peaks - end up close to each other; Mantle gets credit for a better "meat" career, and Yaz gets credit for a longer productive career. Is that right? In my opinion, and obviously most people's here, no, it isn't. But to the degree that you are adamant that Mantle ought to be towering over Yaz in a HOF-merit system, you also ought to be adamant that Jim Rice has no business poking his head out of Tier VI. Are you? In the actual event, where players like Jim Rice and Orlando Cepeda make the HOF, I don't think the HOF voters feel that way, and I was attempting to take the way they think into account at least as much as what I think is "right"

By the same token, the actual HOF obviously allows for positional "adjustments", although I don't know if, or how many, voters actually think of it that way. Even though we, and probably HOF voters, can all agree that a given outfielder was "better" than a given infielder or catcher, infielders and catchers make the HOF, and make it about as quickly and easily, as outfielders despite their much lower numbers. For that reason, and not because I think it is logical or statistically necessary, I gave shortstops a small boost and catchers a huge boost in my system. You put on all that equipment, do deep knee bends in it a few hundred times every day all summer long while catching 100 mph pitches over and over with the same hand, and then come back and tell me that catchers ought to be able to play as many games and hit as well as the guy who was standing in the outfield and catching a fly ball every third inning. The gap between Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench in their hitting abilities was astronomically huge, but the gap between what was expected of them on defense was even larger. To say that Mantle won more games for his teams than Bench did for his is statistically very accurate, but I think misses the larger point. Every team needs a catcher, and whoever plays that position is going to have a shorter career, and play with aches and pains constantly, as a result. Without that context, pretty much every catcher ends up down in Tier VI, and only the two or three greatest can make it as high as Tier IV. I think that's nonsense, and I'm certain HOF voters agree with me. So if you're looking at Mantle and seeing names at or above his Tier that played in the infield that you think don't belong, that's probably why. (I talked about catchers here, but there is a separate, and equally valid, argument for 6-5-4 players.)

Bottom line, I was surprised to see Mantle fall to Tier II, and if I was personally assigning people to Tiers based on my own preferences, he wouldn't have. But I also don't see any name in Tier I that is any less obviously worthy of the HOF than Mantle, once Tier I was reduced by about half (I liked it better before I shrunk it). I'm actually more bothered by Joe Morgan dropping out than I am by Mantle; I think the greatest second baseman in history has a better claim to the HOF than the fifth or sixth best outfielder. I appreciate your arguments, skin, but no way I'm ranking Mantle higher than Ruth, Cobb, Williams, or Mays. Ruth, BTW, gets full credit in my system for being one of the best pitchers for a few years; I wasn't sure if you were taking those years into account.
  • Options
    Mantle possessed two tools that separated him from virtually every other player on the planet. He had the ability to hit the ball as far as any human in recorded history, and he was the fastest runner in his time. Basically, Power and Speed. But he didn't just have power, he had prodigious power.

Hah, Mantle wasn't even the best player in his city, Willie Mays was. Mays stole as many bases in one season as Mantle did in four seasons. Plus, Mantle didn't miss two prime years of his career due to military service. Mays was the superior defensive player, had better speed and baserunning instincts, and hit the ball far enough for the ball to go out. No need to embellish Mantle's feats to Bunyonesque proportions, which is what you're doing.
  • Options

<< <i>Mantle possessed two tools that separated him from virtually every other player on the planet. He had the ability to hit the ball as far as any human in recorded history, and he was the fastest runner in his time. Basically, Power and Speed. But he didn't just have power, he had prodigious power.

Hah, Mantle wasn't even the best player in his city, Willie Mays was. Mays stole as many bases in one season as Mantle did in four seasons. Plus, Mantle didn't miss two prime years of his career due to military service. Mays was the superior defensive player, had better speed and baserunning instincts, and hit the ball far enough for the ball to go out. No need to embellish Mantle's feats to Bunyonesque proportions, which is what you're doing. I >>

Wrong on several accounts. First, this is at their peak, not career length. Specifically, their four year peak, but 8 or 10 works the same in Mantle's favor.

Second, Mantle had a ten year offensive average, that was better than Mays's single BEST offensive season. There isn't even a contest between the two offensively...already spelled out as simple as ABC.

THird, Mays was not faster. This is fact. Mantle had the fastest recorded running speed time in baseball during that time. Eyewitness accounts also back it up.

Fourth, in their peak, Mantle was the better stolen base player. As pointed out above in the ten year peak, Mantle stole at an 86% clip, compared to Mays's 76%. It was only after Mantle's knees were gone where that changed...but that isn't part of the discussion as this is dealing with peak years only. As for the Military, Mays did NOT miss two years due to that, and it wasn't in his peak. Even if he replicated his best two years from the missing two years, his peak still doesn't change. Since it was very early in his career, not quite peak years anyway image Nice try though.

Fifth, defensively, Mantle was faster than Mays, and his glove right there with him. Any difference in the number of putouts stems solely from the pitching staff giving them more opportunities, rather than ability. I actually ran a Mays vs replacement, and his replacements on his team averaged the same number of putouts per inning as Mays did during Mays's peak. Mantle's lead offensively was so large over Mays in their peaks, that allowing for margin of error int he defensive measurements, there simply is not enough defensive ground to cover to make up for the vast offensive shortcomings.

Finally, PSASAP, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to claim Mays as better than Mantle, because in your own words, you said it is what the player did in the World Series, and the number of World Series rings that separates them. Mays hit .239 in the WS, with zero HR, and with one ring. Mantle has the record for HR's lifetime in the WS and has rings that nearly fill up two hands. Again, as a result of your continued unsubstantiated and contradicting statements, YOU ARE DISMISSED image

Dallas, I measured Mantle vs RUth in only in their peaks. Since Ruth did not pitch during his peak, that was a non factor. I don't doubt Ruth had the better career, especially taking the pitching aspect into account(though he wasn't quite the best pitcher in the league)...but as I laid out above step by step, at their top peaks, Mantle was the better baseball player than Ruth...and that breakdown didn't really dig deep into the vast advantage Ruth had in outdistancing his weaker peers, especially the lack of minorities, and the overall population dearth to draw from. Mantle had basically already eclipsed Ruth before we even have to take all those necessary steps.

Ruth's pitching while great, may also be an indictment on the quality of the league at the time. Also, when you look at his alarming decline in his SO/BB ratio in his pitching line in his last couple years, the end was very near had he chosen to continue that path on the hill. Looks like he made the right choice.
  • Options
    Mays was better than Mantle, and I don't even have to yell about it, because it's true.
  • Options

<< <i>Ruth's pitching while great, may also be an indictment on the quality of the league at the time. Also, when you look at his alarming decline in his SO/BB ratio in his pitching line in his last couple years, the end was very near had he chosen to continue that path on the hill. Looks like he made the right choice. >>

Ruth was arguably the best pitcher in the AL in 1916 (at age 21) and was at least a damn fine pitcher in 1917. His stats start slipping in 1918, and slip more in 1919, but in 1918 he played 59 games in the OF and in 1919 he played 111! That's not exactly the same rest that all the other pitchers were getting. And even so, he was 22-12, his ERA+ was 112, and he completed 30 of the 34 games he started. We'll never know what would have happened had the Red Sox kept Ruth as a full-time pitcher, but I don't think what actually happened to his pitching in 1918-1919 is a fair basis for a guess. Ruth was the best player in the major leagues in 1919 and close to it in 1918; that he did that through a combination of hitting and pitching shouldn't be a mark against him. Those two years ARE part of his peak.

Ruth once said, and I believe him, that he could have hit .400 every year but the people paid to see him hit home runs. Every point you're making with regard to Mantle is perfectly valid, but I will never be convinced that Ruth wasn't the greatest player ever, and by a pretty fair margin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ruth's pitching while great, may also be an indictment on the quality of the league at the time. Also, when you look at his alarming decline in his SO/BB ratio in his pitching line in his last couple years, the end was very near had he chosen to continue that path on the hill. Looks like he made the right choice. >>

Ruth was arguably the best pitcher in the AL in 1916 (at age 21) and was at least a damn fine pitcher in 1917. His stats start slipping in 1918, and slip more in 1919, but in 1918 he played 59 games in the OF and in 1919 he played 111! That's not exactly the same rest that all the other pitchers were getting. And even so, he was 22-12, his ERA+ was 112, and he completed 30 of the 34 games he started. We'll never know what would have happened had the Red Sox kept Ruth as a full-time pitcher, but I don't think what actually happened to his pitching in 1918-1919 is a fair basis for a guess. Ruth was the best player in the major leagues in 1919 and close to it in 1918; that he did that through a combination of hitting and pitching shouldn't be a mark against him. Those two years ARE part of his peak.

Ruth once said, and I believe him, that he could have hit .400 every year but the people paid to see him hit home runs. Every point you're making with regard to Mantle is perfectly valid, but I will never be convinced that Ruth wasn't the greatest player ever, and by a pretty fair margin. >>

I agree, but those are more in terms of career views/values. I really am only looking at their peak, and what I laid out above in their peak, paints very strongly toward Mantle. Your study has a hard job of balancing both peak and career...I'm taking the 'easy way' by narrowing it downimage

While true we can't accurately predict how Ruth would have done had he continued pitching when he was in his hitting prime, there are good indicators that are pretty accurate, mainly his SO/BB ratio. He slipped at an alarming rate his last two years on the hill, and that is a very strong indication that he was no longer a mystery to batters(and most likely he lost some velocity, and that is often enough to do the trick).

The level of competition between the two era's could be enough to make a wild swing in judging their abilities. The elimination of minority players in Ruth's time plays just one huge role, the dearth of population to draw from another huge role, and then the fact that the league was filled with dead ball style hitters in Ruth's prime that made it easier for him to dominate to a higher degree not even possible in any other era. In order for Mantle to replicate Ruth's outhomering every team, he would usually have to hit 190 HR's in a season. That isn't something that makes Ruth look better, on the contrary, because based on the competition factors stated in this paragraph, it shows how unfair any current statistical measurement is going to favor, and be biased toward Ruth.

Even taking the competition factor out of the equation, when looking at hitting, position, baserunning, and defense, Mantle is neck and neck with Ruth as it is in their peaks. Add the potentially large swing in the competition factors, Mantle could walk away with a comfortable 'win' vs Ruth in their peaks.

PSASAP, you have already been dismissed due to your continued contradictions(apply the same Post Season comments to Mays/Mantle as you did to Brock, lol). You have not offered a single rational thought, nor a single tid-bit of valid evidence to substantiate any or your claims, therefore, you just stating something means absolutely nothing. Nice try though. I'll just pat you on the head, and say, good job, keep trying.

• Options
    Mays had more home runs, triples, doubles, singles, RBI, stolen bases, had a higher lifetime ba, and had more putouts and assists than Mantle, class dismissed.