Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Pretender - Large Images

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to compare the die cracks, and they look slightly different to me. I wonder if the cracks, though in the same location, came as a result of the design causing weakness at that point on the die. I'm looking especially where the crack comes from the top and crosses over onto the shield:

There also seems to be several other small differences between the two scenes (e.g., on the helmet, a vertical line from the helmet, a vertical line from the lion's head).

On the obverse, the second medal shows some waviness an the bottom of the serifs, while the first medal appears flat across:

However, in the middle of the "N", there looks to be a slight depression which seems to appear on both.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is - Wow! I am impressed.

DPOTD
  • NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a die crack across the lion's claws on the reverse? If so it appears to be identical on both specimens.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does appear to be a die crack. On the specimen where the image is paler (Not necessarily the medal; the images were taken at different times), the crack appears to have widened or deepened.

DPOTD
  • Second medal also has quite extensive doubling on most of the letters, whether machine doubling(which I think it is) or recuting of the dies. IMHO
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Based on what I see the die crack is the same on both, but seems as though it is expanded/diffuse on the second medal. I'm of the opinion that it is either from a worn/polished die or a copy. I'm still debating which, though. Would museums or other conservators routinely create electrotypes of this sort of medal, as others have suggested?