Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So where do you put Ripken among all-time shortstops

Lets just say post war since Honus Wagner would most likely be #1 and he played in the dead ball era. My friends were debating this and I had him at #1. Not even taking into consideration his consecutive games played streak, but his hit and home run totals alone are extremely impressive for the demanding position as well as his defensive ability. I cannot have A-rod on the list since his numbers are just not legit. Forget about the teams they played for since Jeter went to the playoffs constantly and Ripken did not, but from just their regular season numbers and accomplishments, who would you have as your shortstop. If there are any others instead of these two please add them and please explain why.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wagner 1, Ripken 2, all time.

Banks didn't play long enough at short, but if he had, I'd have him ranked above Ripken.

If we're focusing on defense, Smith is also right up there.

I'd put Jeter at #3 all time for SS. He and Ripken are very close, overall, imo, but behind Wagner.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in my opinion and im not yankee but i am a ripken fan:

1) jeter - playoffs and world series puts him over the top
    2) ripken
    3) banks
    4) ozzie

yount and arod, not sure what position you would consider them

i know there are some larkin fans out there, but he is way behind these guys
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Top 5

1. Jeter
    2. Wagner
    3. Smith
    4. Ripken
    5. Banks
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Mozzie22Mozzie22 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

The fact that Jeter is already listed as #1 on two people's list may be the saddest thing I've ever seen. Great player but c'mon, #1.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If we are considering ONLY post war, and we are also considering what we know of the "steroid era," I have Ripken at #1.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Jeter??? Give me a break.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    No, Ripken.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I'll just leave this here.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Post-Wagner, I'd go:

1. Ripken
    2. Banks
    3. Jeter
    4. Vaughan (The Jeter of his era)
    5. Yount

If we're putting Arod in the mix and removing PEDs from the discussion, I'd have to put him first.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I know OP asked to just judge regular season accommplishments, but playing full season(152 games) of playoff ball, at SS, and posting a like like this:

.307 BA, 20 HR, 59 RBI, 18 SB

Against what is going to be the best pitching staffs in baseball most years.....

To me that's just a huge thing to have to overlook.
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Post-Wagner, I'd go:

1. Ripken
    2. Banks
    3. Jeter
    4. Vaughan (The Jeter of his era)
    5. Yount

If we're putting Arod in the mix and removing PEDs from the discussion, I'd have to put him first. >>

Glad to see some love for Vaughan. I kept scrolling down, hoping to see his name, but you were the first to mention him. He is so often overlooked.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Joe Cronin should be in a top five as well IMHO.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A-Rod is far and away the best post-war SS and it's not even close.
  • Options
    My Top 10 All-Around Shortstops

1. Cal Ripken
    2. Robin Yount
    3. Ozzie Smith
    4. Alan Trammell
    5. Derek Jeter
    6. Barry Larkin
    7. Pee Wee Reese
    8. Luis Aparicio
    9. Lou Boudreau
    10. Nomar Garciapara

I feel that Trammell is one of the most under-rated shortstops of all time.

* Criteria: majority of career played post war & over 50% of career games played at SS. Banks & Rodriguez would be on the list but they played less than half of their career games at SS, Yount BARELY makes the cut with just under 52% of his games played at shortstop.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets just say post war since Honus Wagner would most likely be #1 and he played in the dead ball era. My friends were debating this and I had him at #1. Not even taking into consideration his consecutive games played streak, but his hit and home run totals alone are extremely impressive for the demanding position as well as his defensive ability. I cannot have A-rod on the list since his numbers are just not legit. Forget about the teams they played for since Jeter went to the playoffs constantly and Ripken did not, but from just their regular season numbers and accomplishments, who would you have as your shortstop. If there are any others instead of these two please add them and please explain why. >>

All-Time, I like to look at it how I do my fantasy rankings and just put players into Tiers and anyone within a given Tier is largely interchangeable:

Tier 1: Wagner
    Tier 2: Ripken
    Tier 3 (alphabetically by last name): Appling, Boudreau, Cronin, Jeter, Larkin, Reese, Ozzie, Trammell, Vaughan, Yount

After that it's a significant drop-off to the Tier 4s. No active players taken into consideration.
  • Options
    I thought we were only discussing shortstops in the post-war era. If we are including pre-war shortstops my list would be different.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought we were only discussing shortstops in the post-war era. If we are including pre-war shortstops my list would be different. >>

Just cross the pre-war off my list, if preferred, and the tiers are roughly the same. Ripken by far and then there are arguments to be made on the exact ranking of the remainders in tier 3, but I'd be happy to have any of them as my SS. Anyone who puts Jeter above Ripken is deluding themselves, IMHO.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Ripken
    2. Smith
    3. Yount

With Ripken by far and away at the top. (And the nicest guy to meet and take a picture with by the way)

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to see some love for Vaughan. I kept scrolling down, hoping to see his name, but you were the first to mention him. He is so often overlooked. >>

Agreed. Check out Arky's 162-game averages vs. Jeter's:

Vaughan: .318 BA, 9 HR, 83 RBI, 105 R, 11 SB, .406 OBP, .453 SLG %
    Jeter: .310 BA, 15 HR, 77 RBI, 113 R, 21 SB, .377 OBP, .440 SLG %
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wagner 1, Ripken 2, all time.

Banks didn't play long enough at short, but if he had, I'd have him ranked above Ripken.

If we're focusing on defense, Smith is also right up there.

I'd put Jeter at #3 all time for SS. He and Ripken are very close, overall, imo, but behind Wagner. >>

Ernie Banks played 1259 games at 1B and 1125 games at SS
    That's about equal for how long he played especially since the last two years of
    His career at first were as a player coach
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Ripken #1
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Ripken's 54, in that above picture he looks 65-70.