Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay buyer who stole cards, what to do?

Right before the holidays I mixed up two orders. One buyer bought a $2 card and notified me when he received the wrong card. The other buyer bought $25 worth of cards and I notified him as soon as I found out I sent him the wrong order. He responded "no problem, I sell too and have done this before as well sh@t happens" and he quickly mailed me the $2 card back. The other guy however, not the same. I sent him multiple email updates asking when he was going to ship them and every time he responded "tonight" but never mailed them. My question is what should I do about this? Just let it go? Report him to ebay? Its not about the $25 but is the fact that people like this are out there and it really sucks! I understand I made the mistake and first time i've done this but still, its wrong for him to get away with this. Any suggestions?

Also, right as notified me I replied I'd mail him his card for free and send him a few free cards as well.

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may have to take one for the team. Just move on. It sucks, but there is not much you can do. Just to try to be more careful. Fortunately for me I have done the same thing and everyone was very cooperative.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were all of the emails between you and the buyer through Ebay. If so, I would contact Ebay And tell them what happened. Ebay can read the emails between you and the buyer. I'm sure this is not the first time it happened. Hopefully Ebay has some way to deal with a situation like this.
    James
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Were all of the emails between you and the buyer through Ebay. If so, I would contact Ebay And tell them what happened. Ebay can read the emails between you and the buyer. I'm sure this is not the first time it happened. Hopefully Ebay has some way to deal with a situation like this.
    James >>

+1. Regardless of the outcome, I would block that unresponsive buyer. Who needs that kind of runaround and hassle?
  • Options
    Yes I blocked him immediatley and I always email within ebay with my buyers.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    If you wish to pursue this the I'd give up on him, he's clearly giving you the run around, and now go to eBay. They may reverse charges after they investigate.
    How long has it been once the multiple emails started? A week? Since it was right before the holidays, shipping time, contact with the other guy. I ask because if it's only been a few business days maybe he will still send the card. I'm sure it's not on his must do priority list to repackage and go back to the post office. Maybe he's a good guy and has legit excuse. Maybe. Either way, move on to eBay or paypal.

Or just let it go. There unfort are people like that out there and not worth the mental stress it's causing you.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Just refund and move on. Not worth the hassle.
  • Options

<< <i>Just refund and move on. Not worth the hassle. >>

+1. Lesson learned. At least it wasn't very expensive. Be extra careful in the future.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    If you block him he can't communicate with you.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "just refund and move on" Agree..an inexpensive lesson learned

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

Sorry but I do not agree with this. I would persue this if for no other reason than to let the theif know that you aren't willing to let them get away with it. I don't really care how much money is involved.
    James
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send the cards back, and most people would.

But from his perspective this is a pretty poor experience. He gets the wrong card, has to repackage it and spend time at the PO sending it back. Before I started selling on Ebay I can tell you I didn't have stamps around the house and I live 30 minutes from a PO, so keep in mind not everyone wants to fix someone else's mistake (and mistakes happen, not giving you a hard time for that).

Maybe he travels a lot, went on holidays, has a young family, lives in rural area or is just a lazy turd. If he sends it back I would expect a neg or neutral, cause who wants to spend time fixing others mistakes over 25 bucks.
  • Options

<< <i>

Sorry but I do not agree with this. I would persue this if for no other reason than to let the theif know that you aren't willing to let them get away with it. I don't really care how much money is involved.
    James >>

It's the principle or pragmatics. You can choose.

In all reality, you will have to (a) spend a lot of time on this (b) get frustrated/emotionally upset and (c) have uncertain chances of recovering any material value. All of those things, to me, are reasons to write it off and be more careful in the future. If the value of the principle is worth what I've described, by all means, fight to the last breath!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the principle here is important but I agree with 80sOPC. It takes time, money, effort, and supplies to return the cards and even if he's going to do it I think it would be a low priority if the guy is busy with work and family. I would also factor in how much your time is worth (and his time too).

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    It would take 10 minutes to pack the cards, go on the USPS site to pay for and print postage and walk to his mailbox to put the package in there.

I'm sure that there are quite a few of us that sell on Ebay that have made the same mistake. I did a few months ago with a package a lot larger that a bubble mailer. The buyers were very easy to deal with and the situation was taken care of. It cost me a few dollars but it was worth it to keeep the buyers happy.

James
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is
    anything that can be done !!! image
    Timbuk3