Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Brunswick Horse

I just love these Brunswick Wolfenbuttel horses, just picked this one up in the Heritage weekly sale tonight.

1825 1/12 Taler, PCGS 66

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    exceptional coin- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, most of you should know my opinion. The one issue that I have is that some renditions are almost crude in their execution. I had been thinking of purchasing a very impressive coin, but I really did not like its steed. Purchased something else, instead.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCM, I'm glad it went to someone on the forums. Congrats.

I was watching the coin, and almost put in a last minute bid, but in the end I didn't care for the toning all that much, and I think MS66 is a bit generous (IMO)...but I also don't think $176 that it went for was really MS66 money...so I think you did well.

Cheers.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    brg, I'm pretty sure no one was bidding 66 money for it, particularly not me. I think it would be a nice 64-65 just based on the images, but we'll see once it arrives.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>brg, I'm pretty sure no one was bidding 66 money for it, particularly not me. I think it would be a nice 64-65 just based on the images, but we'll see once it arrives. >>

I wasn't being critical, I was just saying -- it's super hard to get an MS66 grade on a coin like this from that era, so it shocked me to see the grade PCGS assigned it. I'd agree with an MS64ish grade, but in world coins I pretty much take NGC and PCGS grades with a grain of salt. image

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good price point for the coin.

I bought this one which is conditionally very scarce at pretty much full price. These always come worn.

Maria Theresia Taler 1766 , DAV-1148, KM-16. Gunzburg mint in Burgau. Burgau, located near Ulm in Germany, belonged to the Holy Roman Empire during the 18th century. It later passed to Bavaria. PCGS MS-64.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCMHouston-

I think you will be surprised with this one. I think the skin carried the grade and it likely is worthy of a 66

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Brunswick Horse looks like it has beautiful skin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Both coins are very pretty ..........The Brunswick Wolfenbuttel horse has nice design and the Taler i assume is frosty white with lustrous . Congrats
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I can't speak to the grade because I would just be guessing. But a beautiful coin regardless of 64 or 66.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think you will be surprised with this one. I think the skin carried the grade and it likely is worthy of a 66

I agree - on this one - take a closer look at HA - I guess you'll await its arrival but that first glance 64ish in hand, might actually be as graded.

Hey Z that's a nice a really neat newp - I like it!!