Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1952 Topps Ed Blake and Jack(ie) Jensen

Hi everyone

It took me a few years to land this one - was looking for a centered copy and think I hit the Jackpot! I really like this one.

1952 Topps Red Schoendienst - St. Louis Cardinals

Red served as Manager of the Reds mostly from 1965 to 1976 with 1 WS (1967) and 2 Pennants.

Also, IMO, he had a better than average career with a lifetime .289 BA and 2449 hits in 19 years.

I picked up another I was looking for but it hasn't come in yet - from Canada.

I also picked up a really neat 1916 Boston Red Sox World Series Game from Lelands - will post when it comes in.

Also, I did pick up this PM10 Mickey Mantle Pin with ribbon and charms - I had never seen it before.

Thanx for viewing. It's always a treat for me to share what I pick up.
Mike

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice pick ups Mike ... Luv that MICK ... awesome centering on that RED.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    It's always a treat when you share your pickups.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    That's a killer Schoendienst. They're usually badly o/c. Nice score on both!
  • That Red you picked up is a great looking 7 - I believe mine is a 5.5 and it's true that it's a hard card to find well centered like yours. Love those 52's! I'm a little over half way thru the set, been putting this set together for over 2 years now. Actually started out by telling myself it would be all 5's with some 4's for high numbers. Fortunately, or unfortunately - depending on how you look at it, my taste buds got a little sweeter so now the goal is to have 1-310 in 6's and 7's, and 311-407 in 5's and 6's.
    I was fortunate enough to pick up the Mantle in a PSA 5 over the summer. Sometimes have to pinch myself that I actually landed one. I may be a little biased, but I think it's the most centered 5 out there. Only thing keeping it from a 7 is a slight surface issue on his neck, but it's my favorite.
    Are you putting the 52 set together? I gotta tell myself sometimes it's a marathon not a sprint. I would estimate I have probably 4-5 years before mine's completed, but I was on a a lot better pace before a job loss about 6 months ago that has ultimately led me back to school to finish up a degree and a masters. So I've had to hit the breaks for a bit, although I've been able to score a few here and there since. Actually picked up a common last night - a very well centered 220 Joe Presko in a PSA 6. Even though the card is a common, I've always liked the look of it for some odd reason. Other than the big dogs in the set, a lot of the commons are some of my favorites. Like the #123 Eddie Yost card ... common card but brilliant coloring, another being the #295 Calvaretta, the #247 Randy Gumpert, and the #305 Paul Richards. Again, all commons but really beautiful cards.
    Thanks for reading and check out my set below ... God Bless ladies and gents!
    My 1952 Topps Collection
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautifully centered Schoendienst. Red was one of my favorite players way back when.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the kind words guys!

<< <i>Are you putting the 52 set together? >>

Not a commitment at this time. I just like the iconic style of the cards. BTW, I just picked up the Yost card - will post it when it arrives - it's coming from Canada which is a bit slower.

Also, one of my biggest regrets is not picking up a nice Mantle 5 when it was very affordable compared to today - I'm going back to around 1989. I believe I've seen your Mantle, but if you want to post it here? Please do.
    Mike
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, love that Mantle !!! image
    Timbuk3
    Hi everyone

This one came in today from Canada.

I like the bold red color in this card. The scratch on his face? It's on my 13 year old scanner.

Eddie played the majority of his career with the Senators and then with the Tigers. His 19 year tenure was consistent/solid.

1952 Topps Eddie Yost

Mike
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking card Mike, its pretty hard to not enjoy the '52 Topps set. I have never heard of Eddie Yost but love the card regardless, the Bold Red Backround adds a different flavor and brings out the blue ball cap nicely image
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at you Mike! Knocking out of the park with the beautiful '52 cards. Hoping to buy a few with the OT I'm getting covering the Super Bowl like I did last year. Take care. Doug
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Mike the Yost looks sweet the color on it is amazing.
  • You know, I sometimes think the 52s are overrated, but these cards sure make me think otherwise! Very nice!

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the most important part about Yost...he was a coach for the Mets!

Hi everyone

Here's a new addition to my small collection of 52Ts.

1952 Topps Ed Stewart

More commonly referred to as "Bud" - he played 9 years in the majors; an average career which appeared to be halted for some time during WWII.

Thanx for viewing.
    Mike
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Mike!! These are some great cards. Your eye for the right specimens is tremendous.
  • Congrats on the pickup!
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Mike please stop posting pics of those gorgeous 52's, I can't afford to fall in love with that set!

"Molon Labe"

Another beauty my friend. Keep it rolling, they are looking good. Doug
    Thanx for the kind words guys.

I'm gonna use this thread to add cards I pick up and post some I already have.

Here's four more:

I only pick these a few times a year, so I only have about 30 total. I just think this is an iconic set with a great Topps design.

Thanx for viewing.

If anyone has a card they're particularly proud of? Please post away. image
    Mike
  • Awesome stuff Mike, thanks!
    Mike ... here are a few of mine that I really like:

The HOUSE is a real special one. Don't think there are many True Yellow Tigers that are autographed.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Douglas, my favorite is the Minoso! I saw you have the House listed on eBay. Kinda hope you get to keep it.
  • Very nice cards throughout this thread. Superb centering on some tough cards, Mike. And, those are some very appealing vintage autos, Doug.
    That Vern Stephens looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than a 7. The white borders are killer and if you are into review or crack-out that card would be a great choice. Doug
  • Nice cards
    Thanx Doug and your sig52s are pure perfection.

Here's a few more from my small stack.

Mike
    Three more beauties Mike. I LOVE the way you pay attention to centering!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• You can talk about centering, I'll rave about the color. Wow! That Sisler is a beauty.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Mike are those reprints? lol only kidding lol. Those look sweet..
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    There was a place in Troy, MI that was a stamp and coin place, but sold baseball cards. They use to have there cards stored in the old style index card holders like you would see in a library. Back in the late 80s I would go there and just look through them and buy a few commons now and then. I would think that some would have graded nicely, but of course I sold them some time after that.
    Hi everyone

Picked up this very nicely centered card this week - when they look like this? Perfection in acrylic with a DayGlo yellow background.

Played 10 years in the majors - all with the Athletics.

Mike
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some real beauties Mike! Definitely looks like there are some bump candidates there if you're so inclined. How far into the set are you now?
    Astroth is tough to find centered. Another beauty.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a beauty, Mike!!

BTW, congrats on your office sale closing!

<< <i>Wow, that's a beauty, Mike!!

BTW, congrats on your office sale closing! >>

Thanx John.

Looking forward to lots and lots of free time!!!! image
    Mike
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    GORGEOUS cards Mike! I never get tired of seeing 52s

• << <i>Hi everyone

Picked up this very nicely centered card this week - when they look like this? Perfection in acrylic with a DayGlo yellow background.

Played 10 years in the majors - all with the Athletics.

image >>

The yellow in the background is amazing! That's a great example.
    Hi everyone

It's time to add a few cards to my 52T thread.

The first Ed Blake, I truly like the blue background a la the Mick's card!

And the 2nd Jack Jensen - have been waiting for this one for some time. So when did Jack become Jackie?

There's just something about these 52s that eludes description - they're great!

Thanx for viewing.
    Mike
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Great looking examples throughout!! That Jack Jensen is one of my top 10 favorite images in the set. I think he looks like Mantle in that shot. Keep it up!!
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps