Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Valuation Question, Norway Krone

I had posted this earlier on the US side for coins we bought but dont really collect. I was wondering if these auction results CNG Link are about what I would expect on my piece with much lower mintage.

Dealer I know had just got this in he had paid $100 and was asking $115. Which was basically VF price.

I removed it from its rusty tomb and sent it it. Came back MS65, not an expert on these but Looking at the PCGS pops there are roughly 5 MS of this type.

Link

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno anything about this particular issue. Looks to be a nice coin.

But keep in mind that the recently sold Lissner collection generated a lot of interest, and many of the pieces went for high amounts which may not be easily duplicated.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are selling this coin and you are asking for a recommendation... well, here is mine:

It is quite attractive and is a candidate to be auctioned. Norway has a small but loyal following and this coin would do well... very well. I think Heritage, CNG or Goldbergs would be okay but you need to explain to them that it is special. I am not providing an auction estimate mainly because it will be wrong... but not as off as the CNG estimate.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I dont think I want to sell this piece. I dont need the money and Im not huge collector of world coins. Now if I found a dealer willing to take this on trade for the coins I did want I might be bribed.
  • Options
    That is a beautiful coin! Uncirculated coins of this type are rare but the exact value depends a lot on just how great the coin looks. Norwegian collectors are very strict graders, much stricter than the US and much of Europe. No doubt this coin could fetch a lot of money if it went "home", but you would need some very convincing pictures of it. Scandinavians generally don't trust US grading companies too much since our grading tends to be at least a little more strict. I've seen Danish gold coins (professionally) graded MS64 that were sold as AU-UNC in Denmark on several occasions.

If it sold on the international market you would still make quite a few bucks on it, but the size of the success would depend on whether the right collector was present at the time of selling.

Anyway, I am quite sure that you won't be losing any money by holding on to it for at while. A coin such as this will not start losing it's value as long as there is oil in Norway image

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Jinx, that's a really nice pick. I think some people look at the hair detail on these and automatically think they are circulated.

Nap, You mentioned the Lissner Collection Sale which interested me so I went searching for it.. I found a site that has the auction catalog but it seems you can only navigate by one page at a time. Am I doing something wrong or is their a better site?

Madmuffin, Do you collect Norway coins? I put together a sort of haphazard type collection of whatever I could find because of the "sen" at the end of my name.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    @ Icollecteverything - no, I don't collect Norway. Not seriously, anyway - I do have a few Norwegian coins. Like you, I collect just about everything.

But I live in Denmark so I am familiar with the Scandinavian ways of grading, and I do handle quite a few Norwegian coins since I am the supreme and beloved dictator of the local coin club image

My main interests lie elsewhere - at the moment I collect coins from the Papal States, from Australia and from Nepal. Just to mention a few...

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65? Nice.

I'd have guessed AU based on the pictures and the hair detail. Guess maybe what I took to be light rub was in fact flatness in the strike.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely NOT my series but I see a fair amount of chatter on the details and field, including some hits larger than I have seen on some other European MS63 graded coins. OK, usual caveat but I would go 62 at best. Not hating, just IMHO. Cats 450 in Krause 4th Edition in BU. Good luck whatever you do with this one.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nap, You mentioned the Lissner Collection Sale which interested me so I went searching for it.. I found a site that has the auction catalog but it seems you can only navigate by one page at a time. Am I doing something wrong or is their a better site? >>

Go to CNG's archives and type in "Lissner" in the auction field. It will give you a listing of all the coins in that sale.

The Lissner collection was a high quality world collection with focus on 19th century issues I believe. Many of the coins are in high uncirculated grades. They were all slabbed by NGC and evaluated by WINGS (a world coin alternative to CAC). The coins themselves, while of impressive quality, were outside of my fields of interest so I did not bid on any lots, but did notice the strong prices realized.
  • Options
    Thanks Nap and Madmuffin too.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for pointing me in where to go with this piece. No current plans for selling but now I know where to go with it. Almost sad that one of my most expensive coins I only paid $115 for, cant really call it a Cherry Pick either since I didn't know it was that valuable at the time. The only great Cherry Pick I recall ever finding was a Birds Over Junk I picked up for $20 and flipped for $2100 the next week.