Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Poppage - psa/dna Type I's

Hello friends,

I'm not sure I've seen anyone post any psa/dna photo poppage before, so I thought I would. This submission is the extent of my current Type I photo collection, but I feel like this is an area of the hobby that has a lot of room for growth. Also, I thought it was kind of cool that if you click on the cert number, it actually pulls up a photo of the item referenced, along with the details.

1P05546 Vintage Photograph Babe Ruth Authentic
1P05547 Vintage Photograph Joe DiMaggio Authentic
1P05548 Vintage Photograph Bobby Jones Authentic
1P05549 Vintage Photograph Bobby Jones Authentic
1P05550 Vintage Photograph Babe Ruth Authentic
1P05551 Vintage Photograph Wilt Chamberlain Authentic
1P05552 Vintage Photograph Michael Jordan Authentic

Thanks for letting me share!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome photos. The Ruth and DiMaggio are outstanding. Congrats.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    These are awesome. Did you have to provide all of that info when you subbed or did psa do the research. What does typeI mean?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys - I appreciate it.

Eagles - The only information I submitted was the main subject in the photo (ie. Ruth, DiMaggio, etc), and approximately when I believe the photo was taken. The thing about many of these images is that they're from news sources, so the date and a brief description of the event is typically attached to the back of the photos for (what I'm assuming to be) media archival purposes.

I'm new to this segment of the hobby, but here's the way PSA/DNA classifies the photo types:

- Type I - A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
    - Type II - A photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
    - Type III - A 2nd generation photograph, developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
    - Type IV - A 2nd generation photograph (or 3rd or later generation), developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during a later period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
    **Type 1 photographs are the most desirable and valuable of the four photograph types because of their vintage and originality.

I hope that helps.

Jeff
  • That Jordan is INCREDIBLE!

Do you know going in when buying these raw, that they are Type I's?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>That Jordan is INCREDIBLE!

Do you know going in when buying these raw, that they are Type I's? >>

I wish I could say I was certain that they were - but the truth of the matter is, I did not. I got lucky, as a seller on eBay (with great feedback) was selling a bunch of what he identified as Type I photos. Not knowing how to distinguish between the types, I decided to take a gamble on them. This was well over a year ago, and I finally got around to getting them authenticated. I'm not sure what all goes into determining the "type" of photo, but as I understand it - the stamping on the back of the photo has a lot to do with it.
    Jeff
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing as I like to learn new things in the market. Great stuff.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Here's a couple of examples of the stamping psa looks for on the back of the photos...

Jeff
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    " it actually pulls up a photo of the item referenced, along with the details."

That is awesome!

BTW cool photos ..
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Really nice items.

<< <i> This submission is the extent of my current Type I photo collection, but I feel like this is an area of the hobby that has a lot of room for growth. >>

I definitely think that's true.
    I appreciate the kind words, guys!
    Jeff
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that PSA no longer encapsulates these anymore (at one time they did)?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

<< <i>Is it true that PSA no longer encapsulates these anymore (at one time they did)?

IMF >>

That's a good question. I was under the impression that they did. I guess I'll find out for sure in a day or two.
    Jeff

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it true that PSA no longer encapsulates these anymore (at one time they did)?

IMF >>

That's a good question. I was under the impression that they did. I guess I'll find out for sure in a day or two. >>

Ok cool.....Let us know once you get the package back.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! The stamping on the back is almost as interesting as the photo on the front.

On the back of the Ruth golfing photo, does it identify the other golfers? The one on the left is either Ty Cobb or his long lost evil twin brother (or, perhaps with Ty, his long lost GOOD brother).

Wilt Chamberlain in college....hmmm....do you think he was at 500 by that point?image
    (reference to Wilt's scoring off the court of over 10k)

edited to add new joke and reference

<< <i>Very cool! The stamping on the back is almost as interesting as the photo on the front.

On the back of the Ruth golfing photo, does it identify the other golfers? The one on the left is either Ty Cobb or his long lost evil twin brother. >>

Good eye. That photo is of (left to right) Ty Cobb (or possibly evil twin), Billy Burke (pro golfer), Ruth and Tris Speaker.

Jeff

IMF >>

I received the items back today, and was sad to see they did not encapsulate the photos. So I guess that answers the question. This is a bummer as that was really the only reason I submitted them for grading. Oh well, lesson learned.
    Jeff
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMF >>

I received the items back today, and was sad to see they did not encapsulate the photos. So I guess that answers the question. This is a bummer as that was really the only reason I submitted them for grading. Oh well, lesson learned. >>

Wow, I guess the customer service rep I talked to was right then when she told me they don't slab 8 x 10 photos. I was going to send one in for grading/encapsulation but not now.

Nice photos you have, those are very neat.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Thanks, Mike! I'm not sure if it's a blanket policy, but I was certainly under the impression that I was sending these photos in to be slabbed. (Photo) Rookie mistake, apparently.
    Jeff
    PSA/DNA stopped slabbing autographed 8x10's too......

IMF
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating! I have some old sports photos including Jesse Owens at the 1933 Olympics the photo has typing at the bottom summarizing what your looking at.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
    If you have an original press photo and trim it down to the size of a tallboy.. Could they slab the photo as authentic? I want to send in a photo but my main goal is to just get it in a slab. I don't care about the grade
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Great question. It sounds good in theory, but I'd definitely confirm w/ PSA first. Otherwise you'll end up like me - blowing $35 on an LOA.
    Jeff
    These are great. It's too bad they don't slab them. I was just about to sub a photo under this service because I remember this thread. I'm glad I dug it up because I didn't remember seeing that the photos weren't slabbed. I'll check with customer service to see if there is an encapsulation service. The phot I have is smaller than 8x12. It would fit in one of the size slabs that psa already uses