Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 Topps Giants Complete Set on Ebay

This set is #2 on the registry. NOT MINE!

Ed

Texthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1830756327
email address: alohaet@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks Bigkid.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I've wondered, is that the best way to get rid of a set? Would he get more if he broke it?

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Actually the set he is selling would currently be #3 on the Registry, but it's not showing yet (It will be called Sealboy Collection #1). The seller is currently #2 in the Registry, but he's not selling that set. Confusing, isn't it?

Brucemo - I think for something like this he may very well do better by selling it as a complete set. He does have a reserve. We'll soon see image.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

With only 60 cards in the set...it wouldn't be that hard to break it up....could be worse!!

Anyone have a estimate on the hammer price...?

John
  • Options
    I bet his reserve is at least $1500
    (which is about 25 per card - average)

it is likely worth more like 2400
    imageimage
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Nice set. Be interesting to see what the hammer is.

Thanks
    Dan & Kat
    SF Giants from the 60's & 70's in PSA6-9. dwdominguez@hotmail.com

"Just when they think they got all the answers, I change the questions."
    -- Roddy Piper
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    is this the first completely graded set to be sold on ebay? Ethan
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Ethan, yes it's definitely the first completely graded 1964 TG set for sale on Ebay. I wonder why the seller didn't hold out to finish it all in PSA 8 before selling it? Just one card short...
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Gemmint.

I noticed that you picked up the 70 Kelloggs graded set that closed on ebay recently. If I weren't awaiting a $4000 credit card bill because of PSA I would have tried to snag it. Did you need any of the cards or are you breaking it up?
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB, I'm working on a few different '70 Kelloggs graded sets so I will be breaking the set up and inserting many of the 9's I need into the sets I'm working on. With the 8's remaining I'll probably try to build an all 8 set as well. I already have a number of 8's that I can add to it.

I was extremely surprised that no one else bid on it. It went very cheap, but I think the seller wanted cash for other ventures. He and I had some extensive discussions after the auction, and he really sounds like a great guy. Don't hesitate to deal with him.

P.S. I'm glad you didn't bid image.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    This is actually the second '64 set sealboy has sold on e-bay this month. The first was broken up and sold individually (I picked up just a few). Maybe his first effort turned into more hassel than he planned, but the hammer price of the individual cards was certainly more than a $25-30 average.
  • Options
    Well, the set ended tonight and the final price was $2000. I thought that it would go much higher than that.

As an aside, I can't believe that recent Mantle ended at $709. That is nearly double what they have regularly been selling for.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    Pinhigh, I agree. I thought that the winner picked up a great bargain and didn't do any of the work of putting the set together. Frankly, I think his reserve should have been a good deal higher.
  • Options
    I was really pulling for Jeannie on this one image I've been e-mailing back and forth with her (still really not sure if she is a "she") recently and she pushes a lot of giants through. Unfortunately, very few 9's and 10's though.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt 2k was cheap. Considering all the work needed to put this set together in eight.
    I just bought some high end cards so right now timing was bad for me. And I'm eyeing up some
    cards on the Superior auction. Darn I wish I bought this set!

aconte
  • Options
    I really thought that there might be an Aconte snipe at the end image. Next time it will cost more.
  • Options
    I just couldn't bring myself to bid unless I could see all the cards. Centering, in my opinion, can look pretty bad on these cards even in an 8. I'll continue one card at a time to build my nicely centered setimage
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Gemmint and BobS,

You both touched on another good point. I emailed the seller about overall centering. I wasn't too
    fond of the Skowron centering and wondered if the centering on that card was indicative of the
    whole set. Or was it more like the Mantle. Also, the Mays card had some things going on in the
    surface too. Gemmint knows I rather have nice cards for my own collection. Not that this might
    not be a nice set.

Anyhow I asked about the overall centering and particular the Skowron centering. I got a reply.
    Since I'm at work and the email is at home I think it went like this - "The Skowron is not 70/30
    since that would not qualify for Psa 8 standards. Overall the cards are all nice since they are Psa
    8." I wanted to know if these cards had great centering and the overall condition. I got they
    are Psa 8's response. I guess I could of pursued clarification but I have money being spent
    elsewhere so I just decided to take a pass.

My guess is that if Gemmint was selling his set you could get a much greater detailed review of the
    overall centering, corners, etc. Many times it helps to go over details for some people to get
    the most $$$ possible.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>I bet his reserve is at least $1500
    (which is about 25 per card - average)

it is likely worth more like 2400 >>

wow!
    I surprised even my self with that early prediction...
    (well it was close!)
    imageimage
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Working on a 64 Giants set now. Based on my bidding sofar, price of $2K seems fair: figure about $60 for each of the 12 stars in the set and $30 each for the remaining 48 cards = $2160. But isn't collecting all about the thrill of the chase? Getting cards that meet your standards at the best possible price is what I enjoy!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!