Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I bought an ugly Victoria coin...

.. just because it's rare. And rare doesn't mean expensive, for those that don't collect these, and you number in the billions, the Vicky proofs 1/2 d's always seem to go for a pretty reasonable price. The reasons are typical I think, the Vicky coins had a very long run and no one is trying to collect the proofs by date. So most people that do want one are just looking for a "type" piece, and even though each individual date is rare to extremely rare there really are plenty to choose from in the Young Head (1838-74) and Mature Bust (1874-94) series. The Veiled Head proofs tend to go for a bit more since they were only minted from 1895-1901

1885 Halfpenny PF64 RB

I know some people say to never buy an ugly coin, but sometimes I just can't help myself when the price seems right. It's got some spots, and a big old fingerprint, but it is a genuinely tough coin. Currently two graded total, Freeman lists it as R19 (2-5 known), Freeman is often conservative in his number estimates (my opinion) but he's probably pretty close on this date.

Comments