Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Few Italian Renaissance Medals

Isotta degli Atti

by Matteo de' Pasti, c. 1456-60

Bronze, 41.2 mm Ø, 33.3 g

Obverse: Bust of Isotta degli Atti facing right, hair over high frame, confined by a crossing band fastened on top with jewel, and falling in two pointed masses behind. Around, · D · ISOTTAE · / · ARIMINENSI · .

Reverse: A closed book. Around, E L E G I A E · .

Inscriptions:

DOMINAE ISOTTAE ARIMINENSI
To the Lady Isotta of Rimini

ELEGIAE
Elegies

Isotta degli Atti (c. 1432 - 1474) was born in Rimini, the daughter of Francesco degli Atti, a wealthy wool trader and banker. She became the mistress of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini, after he noticed her while a guest of Francesco during restoration of his residence. They had a son, Giovanni, in 1447, though he lived only a few months. Their relationship became public in 1449, after the death of Sigismondo's second wife, and they married in 1456.

The reverse design of the medal, illustrating a book, refers to the three volumes of thirty elegies commissioned by Sigismondo in 1449-1451. The epic poem, Liber Isottaeus, was written by the Italian humanist Basinio Basini of Parma, who had moved to the Malatesta court in 1449.

The dating of the medal is based upon the finding of several similar medals (with a slightly different obverse design) in building foundations. Five specimens were found in the wall of the Rocca Malatestiana (Malatestian Fortress) at Fano in a portion of the building datable to 1454. Two other specimens were found nearby in Senigallia in an area that was part of Sigismondo's refortification of the town in 1459.

References: Hill (Corpus) 188; Pollard (NGA) 35; Vannel & Toderi (Bargello) 87-90; Börner 65

Giovanni Toscani

by Lysippus the Younger, before 1477

Bronze, 42.5 mm Ø, 39.8 g

Obverse: Bust of Giovanni Toscani facing left, wearing round cap and close fitting gown. Around, IOANNES ALOISIVS · TVSCA · AVDITOR · CAM .

Reverse: Neptune, nude, with mantle arched overhead, holding trident in his right hand and dolphin in his left, facing front and standing in a sea-car drawn by two seahorses. Within the waves, beneath the seahorses, the heads of two dolphins. Around, VICTA IAM NVRSIA FATIS AGITVR , with two leaves on stalk dividing the beginning and end of the inscription.

Inscriptions:

IOANNES ALOISIUS TUSCANUS AUDITOR CAMERAE .
Giovanni Alvise Toscani, Auditor of the Chamber

VICTA IAM NURSIA FATIS AGITUR
Norcia Already Conquered, Destiny is Pressing

Born in Milan, Giovanni Alvise Toscani (c. 1450 - 1478) was a jurisconsult, orator, and poet. Beginning his career in Milan under Duke Francesco Sforza, he went to Rome in 1468 and found favor under Pope Sixtus IV. Under the pope, he becaome consistorial advocate (about 1473) and auditor general (1477). It has been supposed that Toscani was a close friend of Lysippus, based on the six medals of him attributed to the artist. As referred to by the obverse inscription, Toscani was one of the twelve auditors (judges in the Curia) newly organized by the pope.

It is not known with certainty to what the reverse design and inscription refers. In 1474, Sixtus IV had recaptured papal territories near Norcia in Umbria and could return his focus to a crusade against the Turks. Toscani had written a poem, "In Turcos", and Pollard suggests that the reverse might allude to the renewed campaign for ships.

References: Hill (Corpus) 811; Pollard (NGA) 251; Vannel & Toderi (Bargello) 244-245; Börner 308

Jacopo Sannazaro

by Girolamo Santacroce, c. 1523-1524

Bronze, 35.9 mm Ø, 21.5 g

Obverse: Bust of Jacopo Sannazaro facing left, laureate, with long hair. Around, ACTIVS / SYNCERVS .

Reverse: Nativity scene.

Jacopo Sannazaro (1458 - 1530) was an Italian poet and humanist from Naples. The name on the obverse, Actius Syncerus, was the classicized name that he took as his pseudonym. The reverse design refers to his sacred epic poem De partu Virginis. Originally written in 1513, it was extensively rewritten in 1519-21, and was published in 1526. Written in Latin, the work is a mixture of the language of classical mythology with the Gospel story, and gained for Sannazaro the name of the "Christian Virgil". This medal is mentioned in a letter of March 20, 1524 by Pietro Summonte to Marcantonio Michiel, leading Hill to note that it was produced some time before March of 1524, perhaps in the previous year. Toderi & Vannel note that the medal was commissioned by Isabella d'Este.

References: Hill (Corpus) 350; Toderi & Vannel (XVI Secolo) 2641; Vannel & Toderi (Bargello) 1425-1434; Börner 115

Giovanni Battista Castaldo

by Annibale Fontana, c. 1562

Bronze, 45.2 mm Ø, 30.2 g

Obverse: Bust of Giovanni Castaldo facing left, bearded, wearing an ornamented cuirass with straps, and a sash. Around, IO · BA · CAS · CAR · V · CAES · FER · RO · REG · ET · BOE · RE · EXERGIT · DVX .

Reverse: In center, Castaldo, wearing a cuirass and tunic, offering a sceptre to a draped woman. To the right, a male figure, wearing a tunic and sash. To the left, behind, a Turk wearing a Turban. Around, CAPTIS / SVBAC · FVSISQ · REG · NAVAR · DACIÆ · ET · OLIM · PERSA · TVRC DVCE .

Inscriptions:

IOANNES BAPTISTA CASTALDUS CAROLI V CAESARIS FERDINANDI ROMANORUM REGIS ET BOEMIAE REGIS EXERCITUS DUX
Giovanni Battista Castaldo, General of the Army of Emperor Charles V and of Ferdinand, King of the Romans and King of Bohemia

CAPTIS SUBACTIS FUSISQUE REGIBUS NAVARAE DACIÆ ET OLIM PERSARUM TVRCARUM DUCE
The Kingdoms of Navarre and Dacia, Formerly Lost to the Lord of the Turks, Taken Prisoner, Subjugated, and Defeated

The attribution of this unsigned medal to Annibale Fontana is based on other medals of Castaldo which closely resemble this piece and are signed ANIB . However, there is uncertainty as to whether this signature does in fact belong to Annibale Fontana or to some other artist also named Annibale and working during an earlier period. Attwood suggests that they are separate, and dates this medal to c. 1552. Pollard and Toderi & Vannel attribute the medal to Fontana, and since he was born only in 1540, date it to c. 1562, coinciding with a 1562 peace treaty with Turkey.

Giovanni Battista Castaldo (1493 - after 1565), count of Piadena and Cassano, was a general under Emperor Charles V and fought in various battles against both the French and the Turks. Pollard identifies this medal as commemorating Charles's campaign, on behalf of Ferdinand of Austria, in the long wars against the Ottoman Empire. Castaldo was in charge of the Hungarian operations in 1550, and in 1551 he took the Turkish stronghold of Lippa. A general peace with Turkey was arrived at in 1562, and Austria was required to pay tribute to the sultan for territories in Hungary. On the reverse of the medal, Castaldo is featured in the center, in the guise of a Roman general, receiving the suppliant figure of Hungary. Behind her is the Turkish leader, and on the right is a Transylvanian chieftain.

References: Attwood (Italian Medals) 105; Pollard (NGA) 510; Toderi & Vannel (XVI Secolo) 147; Börner 782

Jean, Marquis d'Espinay

by Anteo Lotello, 1578

Bronze, 46.9 mm Ø, 26.3 g

Obverse: Bust of Jean d'Espinay facing left, wearing ruff, curiass ornamented with lion's head on left shoulder, and a collar with medal of the Order of Saint Michael. Around, IEHAN · MARQVIS · DESPINAI · CONTE · DE · DVRESTAL .

Reverse: A lion crouching at the base of a tree entwined by a vine. Around, SIC · IONCTI · SVMVS · AMORE . In exergue, HOS · DVOS · CONSERVO at the top, · ANTEO · F · at the bottom. A center line of text is missing from the exergue of this piece due to the poor casting in that area, and should read · 1578 · .

Inscriptions:

IEHAN MARQUIS DESPINAI CONTE DE DURESTAL
Jean, Marquis d'Espinay, Count of Durtal

SIC IUNCTI SUMUS AMORE
Thus We Are United By Love

HOS DUOS CONSERVO
These Two I Preserve

Jean d'Espinay (1528 - 1591), Count of Durtal, was a man of war and Knight of the Order of Saint Michael. He served under five kings of France: Henry II, François II, Charles IX, Henry III, and Henry IV. He was appointed chamberlain of Henry II and light calvary company captain and steward of Albi and Castres. He was rewarded for his services by Charles IX by being made a Knight of the Order of Saint Michael, and Henry III established his lordship at Espinay in 1576. In 1578, his son, Claude d'Espinay, was married to Françoise de La Rochefoucauld, the event to which this medal refers.

Due to the weakness of the cast on the bottom of the reverse, I would generally avoid acquiring a medal such as this. However, this medal appears to be somewhat rare. It is listed in Trésor de Numismatique, Médailles Françaises I (Plate L, Number 6), which is referenced in later volumes by Armand and Toderi & Vannel's corpus of 16th century Italian medals. However, it is missing from the major references which catalog four of the most important collections of late 16th century Italian medals: the British Museum (Attwood), the Bargello in Florence (Vannel & Toderi), the National Gallery of Art (Pollard), and the Berlin Münzkabinett (Börner).

References: Toderi & Vannel (XVI Secolo) 177

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    What a great group and well researched as always Joe...congrats!

Interesting that the Jacopo Sannazaro piece used a reverse used (later I think) on some papal coins as is the wide variation of style and types.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a great group and well researched as always Joe...congrats!

Interesting that the Jacopo Sannazaro piece used a reverse used (later I think) on some papal coins as is the wide variation of style and types. >>

Your comment got me thinking about the Nativity scene on papal coins. I was aware of the well-known Gregory XIII testone with the Nativity on the reverse, though the style is much less sculptural. Googling around a bit, I found this interesting article:
    http://www.coinweek.com/ancient-coins/nativity-coins/
    which also illustrates a splendid quarter ducat with an excellent obverse Nativity scene dating to 1525. (Actually, that entire coin is a masterpiece in my eyes. The author says that recent auctions have seen EF pieces sold for $2500-3000, which seems hard to believe. I gave up on coins, but would spend that in a heartbeat for such a piece. But I digress.) The article mentions that those two (plus a gold five-ducat piece with the same design as the 1525 silver piece) appear to be the only papal coins with the Nativity before 1700. You have much greater familiarity with the series of papal coins than I do, so does this comment seem accurate to you?

Edit: Found the sale of the illustrated Clement VII piece from a Goldberg auction where it realized $2,760. However, it was EF details, repaired.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pieces and writeups. These have some deep history.

Just curious - was the Giovanni Toscani struck from dies carved in the 15th century, or was it struck later in the 1500s? The die work looks ahead of its time.
  • Options

<< <i>Great pieces and writeups. These have some deep history.

Just curious - was the Giovanni Toscani struck from dies carved in the 15th century, or was it struck later in the 1500s? The die work looks ahead of its time. >>

Sorry, I should have mentioned in the first post, all of these medals are cast. You are right to note that die struck pieces from the 15th century would be much cruder, which is the reason why casting was the preferred method of medal manufacture during that period.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The testones are the ones I was thinking of roughly contemporary or just a bit later than your medal. they are quite uncommon and I've only seen offered in lower condition. I need to take some time to verify, but I think there are some later depictions on medals and probably on some of the post WWII coinage which I'm not too familar with. Mazio 97 (presentation to the magi) comes immediately to mind as being in this category, but otherwise the theme was not much used which is curious.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Iosephus, what a collection! How did you get involved with these?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Iosephus, what a collection! How did you get involved with these? >>

Thanks! These come from on outgrowth of my interest in papal medals. The further I went back towards the Renaissance era, the more I began to learn about the popularity of portrait medals in 15th and 16th century Italy. Eventually, I couldn't resist, and I had to dive in and expand my collection.
  • Options
    That's great! I have bought a book on coins of the Popes for some possible type addition to my collection. These medals are pretty neat though as well. Do you do mostly auctions or through dealers for these sorts of things. It's not the sort of thing I have seen often.
  • Options

<< <i>That's great! I have bought a book on coins of the Popes for some possible type addition to my collection. These medals are pretty neat though as well. Do you do mostly auctions or through dealers for these sorts of things. It's not the sort of thing I have seen often. >>

A few of the later 17th/18th century Baroque medals in my collection I have purchased from dealers, but the large majority (and all of the 15th/16th century Renaissance pieces such as these) have come from European auction houses.
  • Options
    Yeah, I kind of figured that. I didn't think that too many dealers carried this type of material, at least in the United States and I would imagine it would be prohibitively expensive if they did. Still, maybe one day I can add an example. I also like the Venetian coinage of the 14th century too as well as Papal issues. But your medals are quite something and these are just inferior substitutions. image
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

By an odd coincidence I just found a great big soft cover book called "The Currency of Fame Portrait Medals of the Renaissance" . It has a few by Matteo de' Pasti of Isotta but the reverses have elephants on them. dated 1466

Maybe you already have the book? I paid a $3 for it at my local library they were selling off some books to raise money. It has a broken spine unfortunately , but the photos are stunning.

Amazon seems to have some in stock published in 1994 with chapters on Italy , Germany, France , and England and the Low Countries

link image
  • Options

<< <i>By an odd coincidence I just found a great big soft cover book called "The Currency of Fame Portrait Medals of the Renaissance" . It has a few by Matteo de' Pasti of Isotta but the reverses have elephants on them. dated 1466

Maybe you already have the book? I paid a $3 for it at my local library they were selling off some books to raise money. It has a broken spine unfortunately , but the photos are stunning.

Amazon seems to have some in stock published in 1994 with chapters on Italy , Germany, France , and England and the Low Countries

link image >>

Yep, I have that book, though in hardcover (had the softcover previously, and like yours, the spine broke and the cover detached). It's probably my favorite overall book on medals. A great bargain for only $3!