Home Precious Metals
Options

Info on morgan dollars

just started getting into graded morgan dollars, can any please direct me to a few websites with more info with prices and history of the coins. much appreciated. duffman456
Successful BST Transactions: captainthreeput, ajaan, delesch, savoyspecial, mbogoman, CCHunter, GoldCoin98, RB1026, JGnumismatics, Collectorcoins, Metalsman, illini420, Ahrensdad, vpr, valente151, bballjunkie, bigjpst, forthill, thecoinlook, bgman & more!

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the free trial to PCGS CoinFacts.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    First choice is the Q David Bowers book on Morgans, published by Whitman.

For pricing Greysheet is best.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start small and with common dates. At least in your favor is that the price of silver is only $17/oz rather than $30-$45/oz. Of course, there's no guarantee we won't see $8-$12 silver in the foreseeable future. Steer clear of cleaned, AT'd, and problem coins. Learning to dodge those is probably just as important as learning to grade the series.

Fwiw I think the most bang for the buck with the least amount of risk is in two areas:

1. Building a nice circ set in problem free, fully original VF-AU of the scarcer dates that essentially are priced little above common (no better dates though like the CC's or 93-s, 94, etc). Learn on the cheaper coins first.

2. Common dates in MS64.....maybe 63/65 as well. If silver ever catches on again the MS64's will probably see the most leverage....followed by 63's and then 65's. Be careful about paying sizable premiums until you'd had a year or so of exposure. You're going to make mistakes early on....so plan on it and minimize your potential risks. The Heritage Auction Archives a good place to see both problem and non-problem coins across the grade spectrum. If you spent several hours each weekend just reviewing old auction photos + prices you'd be surprised how much you'll pick up in a month's time.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First choice is the Q David Bowers book on Morgans, published by Whitman. >>

This. I have this book and LOVE it. Not only does it go into detail about Morgan's(strike, mintage, finish, ect.), he gives little tidbits of history in each year they were made. Fantastic book imo.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    thanks guys much appreciated. that being said, if you guys have some common dates to unload to start me off i can do pp gift and have a few references if needed. thanks, duffman456
    Successful BST Transactions: captainthreeput, ajaan, delesch, savoyspecial, mbogoman, CCHunter, GoldCoin98, RB1026, JGnumismatics, Collectorcoins, Metalsman, illini420, Ahrensdad, vpr, valente151, bballjunkie, bigjpst, forthill, thecoinlook, bgman & more!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed to all suggestions !!! image
    Timbuk3