Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Mintages for Early Canadian & Pre-Confederation Specimen Coinage

TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
The title pretty much sums up my request. I have not been able to find definitive mintage data for the early specimen coinage and at the just finished FUN show I spoke with some Canadian dealers who could not point me in the proper direction, either. So...might anyone be able to help with either data or references? Thank you in advance.
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    In my 40+ years of collecting Canadian coins, I've never seen mintage reports for the early specimen issues. Charlton just states "included" with the business strikes.

Maybe if someone had access to the actual RCM mintage records the mintages might be reckoned.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the Royal Mint did not seem to keep such records for even GB pieces, this would likely be information that does not exist, if that makes sense.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I know that Rob Turner spent time at the Royal Mint going through all the old records when writing his book(s) on the 1858 Large Cents. The first book also included info on the rest of the 1858 coinages, but I don't recall anything on specimens. If he doesn't chime in here, I'll email him and ask if it's anything that he noted while there. He may recall something.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's doubtful records were kept.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    It is correct that no records were kept regarding the mintages of early specimen coins. In my first book (on 1858 cents) I presented some estimates on 1858 specimen mintages based on the number of cases ordered by the mint.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Thank you all for your time and effort. It appears that contemporary data might not have been saved, which is a darn shame if true. It also appears that aside from some years like 1908 and 1937 that all the earlier specimen coins and pre-confederation or provincial coins were struck with much smaller mintages.

The following 1919-C Newfoundland SP64BN is the reason why I asked. It has a total PCGS population of three and a total ICCS population of two after a combined fifty-odd years of certification by these two companies. Additionally, Heritage has offered a total of zero of these in their years of operation. The coin is in a PCGS OGH and looks to be undergraded, but that is the least of my concerns.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I think that your "half-dozen" or so for all years except 1909 and 1937 to be way low. In Rob's book, he estimates that there were 60 or so specimen sets for 1858 .. based upon the number of cases that were ordered. Some of those cases may have been just presentation pieces and not specimens. Rob also wrote a large tretise on the 1876 to 1920 Victoria cents as well and has some great info in it, and not just for circulating coinage. In your initial post, you said preconfederation coins which narrows it down to 1858 & 59. You've got specimen coinage for many more years than what you mention. You should talk to Rob direct. Here is his website:
    http://www.victoriancent.com/coin-info.html
  • Options
    Wow, good information there Syl!

I have a specimen GB 1922 penny in NGC64BN that has even less marks & have seen pieces looking similar to that just posted at 62 or 63. Let's not go there with matte coin grading by either major service!
  • Options
    Triple post.image

• Options
    Perhaps I used the term pre-confederation incorrectly, but thought it would also apply to areas such as Newfoundland that remained separate from Canada until 1949. My estimate on production was based upon a note that I made when reading either Charlton or Haxby, but at this time I cannot find it in the references so it must be a mistake on my part.

I've seen in-hand the piece in this thread and it is not a 62 or 63.

• Options
    Triple post.image

• Options
    My point was that it may look like it, but they are not nice to sim. copper. The '22 I spoke of has even fewer marks then that piece. Or the companion half p and farthing. A bit apples and oranges, but you should see the 1951 matte half crown pcgs graded at "61"!