Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Baseball Cello Pack

I was curious if anyone here has ever seen or even heard of a 1952 topps baseball cello pack? I ask because I've just won one in a Lelands auction (for a bid price that I did not expect to win!). Lelands themselves say in the listing that they've never seen one. The pack shows #89 Johnny Lipon on the front and is said to show #310 on the back. If I'm right, this would cover both the 2nd and 5th series of the set, which leaves me wondering if this pack would contain all 6 series?

Here is the link to the listing with the only pictures I have:

1952 Topps Baseball Cello Pack

Any information that could be provided here would be most excellent!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that auction when it was going on~I am curious also about that pack, as I have never seen a 52 Topps cello from the factory. As far as I know, 53 was first year for cellos. My guess is that it is an aftermarket pack made for this xmas stocking.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that auction when it was going on~I am curious also about that pack, as I have never seen a 52 Topps cello from the factory. As far as I know, 53 was first year for cellos. My guess is that it is an aftermarket pack made for this xmas stocking. >>

I agree with this, especially since it's possibly covering several different series. Part of me is skeptical but if real it's a cool item. Doug
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Makes sense Tim - though given the stocking was produced in the "early 50s" as described, the pack couldn't of been put together much later (than 1952) I presume.

Also, for all my searching, the closest thing I could find was the following 1953 cello:

1953 Topps Baseball Cello Pack

Interestingly, that one included 1st, 2nd and 3rd series cards (at least according to the GAI slab). If that was legitimate, then perhaps an extended series pack from 1952 would not be so unreasonable?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are couple pics of 53 cellos:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Wow, those are pretty packs. Thanks for the upload Tim. Also, I forgot to mention that the stocking also includes a Bowman "Power for Peace" pack that was released in 1954. The Tarzan 3D packs were 1953 as I recall, but this puts its date no earlier than 1954...
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing '53 packs there. Wow! The 5 grade on the right looks much nicer. Hmmm
  • Options
    Dragnet,

Cool score. But for the record, there simply were no 1952 topps produced cello packs. 53 was indeed the first year. Now, please don't let that make you feel like it was a bad purchase. As most know, the holiday rack packs that are floating around are mainly fakes. Yes, there were originals of those, but the majority of the ones on ebay are complete novelty items at best.

I do feel confident that your "cello" pack is surplus and rewrapped by a secondary marketer solely for literally stuffing stockings and is completely legit. Maybe Sy did make a few sales prior to his boat trip. Also, it has a tarazan 3d pack in there which was issued in 1953, so it falls right in line. The fact that the "52 cello" has a high number and card #310 is showing is also exciting, as we all know what the next card is. It also seems to have good provenance, however do your due diligence before ya pay just so you sleep well. You do have that right.

If that checks out, I think it's a very cool item. I would break it out every year around Christmas, display it proudly and wonder. Just don't have too many Egg-Nogs and few moments of boredom. We all know what could happen...

Congrats!

• Options
    Really appreciate the info evilpenny! I've emailed Lelands with a few additional questions regarding its provenance, so we'll see what they say.
  • Options
    Dragnet,

Anytime. I'd love to see better pictures if everything checks out provenance wise. And even if it checks out documentation wise, inspect every little game and trinket in there for 2 reasons. A. for help determining if it is indeed legit and B. some of those little trinkets and games can be worth some pretty pennies as well, as they look in mint condition and not played with.

You certainly could have a handful of other gems in there besides the cards. I'd love to see what's all actually in there....
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Looks like the bottom right corner is stained?
  • Options
    Also in your email queries with Leland, another big question I would ask is: How many of these did he have stashed? Hopefully it's just this one. If he has more than 2 or even 3, well I might have a little concern. I'm sure you know this already, but save your email correspondence, attach them with the provenance and receipts.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the win. Are you planning on opening it? If so, you are required to post scans here after enticing this hungry crowd. image
  • Options
    No plans to open anytime soon! Sorry image. Thanks for the suggestion evilpenny and thanks vols1 for noticing - I certainly didn't see it myself. Will send along another email asking about these issues.
  • Options
    Very nice win, congrats. I've never seen a 52 cello in over 40+ years of collecting.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Does not pass the smell test for me........ But good luck I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>Does not pass the smell test for me........ But good luck I hope I'm wrong. >>

Curious as to what you're getting at.. You don't think it's a legit topps cello pack (seems to have been confirmed already) or don't believe it was produced and sold in the early 1950's as described?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking - the only "cello" packs I've seen from '52?

The 8 pack cellos that Topps rewrapped for candy stores e.g.

Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    The simple fact that #89 Lipon is on top and #310 metkovich is on back is the proof it isn't factory. Read about these and likewise x-mas racks on any forum or ebay.

• Options

<< <i>Here are couple pics of 53 cellos:

image >>

Sweet 53 cellos.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone here thinks it's a factory pack. However, I think it's a far cry from the bogus holiday packs.

Get a list of the rest of the items in there. Check for recent ebay sales and look for defining characteristics on the boxes/packaging inside the stocking and compare to those found. If you find some that are similar, coordinate those sales and see if any have the same buyer(s). I think there would be way too many red flags that would be generated for someone to try manufacture this. Of course, people will stoop to anything these days. It would take some serious organizational and overall time period to pull this one off though, imo.
  • Options
    Someone above referred to #310 as a high number. Actually, the high numbers started at #311 with the Mick. It seems like #310 may have been inserted to tease potential buyers into hoping that Mick could be in the pack. Good luck with that!

My sense is that, like others have mentioned, this is likely a fake. I feel bad that $3,750 was wasted on what I'd consider a sack of garbage.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone above referred to #310 as a high number. Actually, the high numbers started at #311 with the Mick. It seems like #310 may have been inserted to tease potential buyers into hoping that Mick could be in the pack. Good luck with that! >>

Debatable. 251 - 310 are the 5th series. 311 - 407 are the 6th series, many consider the true high series, as 311 and on are sp's.

310 shouldn't entice as it's a completely different series, but I see where people could derive that. also 301 - 310 were double printed, as well.

If someone were going to go thru all of this trouble, I would think they'd want to put a high sp on the front.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does not pass the smell test for me........ But good luck I hope I'm wrong. >>

Curious as to what you're getting at.. You don't think it's a legit topps cello pack (seems to have been confirmed already) or don't believe it was produced and sold in the early 1950's as described? >>

The only way I would drop 4k on that bag is if was a 52 Wax Pack inside or if Mick himself were showing on one side of the cello. I'm guessing that cello is full of EX 52 commons. What were 52 wax packs worth back then 10-15 cents? Why go threw the trouble of making a cello when you could just buy a wax pack to fit in the stocking?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone above referred to #310 as a high number. Actually, the high numbers started at #311 with the Mick. It seems like #310 may have been inserted to tease potential buyers into hoping that Mick could be in the pack. Good luck with that! >>

Debatable. 251 - 310 are the 5th series. 311 - 407 are the 6th series, many consider the true high series, as 311 and on are sp's.

310 shouldn't entice as it's a completely different series, but I see where people could derive that. also 301 - 310 were double printed, as well.

If someone were going to go thru all of this trouble, I would think they'd want to put a high sp on the front. >>

#311 (Mick) and on were not all single prints. #311 as well as 312 (Jackie) and 313 (Thomson) of the high series were in fact double printed.
  • Options
    Correct, I should have specified short print, for the boat trip and indeed, not single print. You are 110% correct, they were double printed, just disposed and never really circulated, but are designated SP

Getting back to the pack/stocking. We know it's not factory. And I am not 100% convinced it's fake or real. To couple or compare to the holiday rack packs is unfair, imo. Even the maker of those has gotten greedy and included a few high number cards on the front back, which is utterly impossible with said facts. I would think that if it were a scam and this being the first one out, that said scammer would shoot for the moon.

You've got some work to do, both with the provenance and your own sleuthing. It will be fun either way, but I am an optimist for ya, Dragnet.

I think the fact that it's got a 310 and 89 card showing work in your favor. Sy was literally trying to sell them to every avenue available. Candy stores, carnivals, circus', toy stores and five n dimes to the point where he was giving them away. So much in fact he couldn't even do that. This coupled with the condition of the rest of the stocking inventory and personally even the stain works in your favor as it looks like a little dye from the red toy box is the culprit, hopefully, from years of neighboring in an attic. So long as that stain is on the cello wrapper and not the card itself. Of course, look for other examples of items bleeding in the stocking as well.

Keep the faith. You may just add a new chapter, or at least contribute a page to the 52 story. Of course, if you get the first whiff of a funny smell, then run.

Either way we learn something from this. A. a new, secondary way the 52 was distributed or B. a new scam to look out for. I am happy to learn either way.

I, for one, am rooting for you!
  • Options
    Not everything has to be black or white. These x-mas wraps were overstock rewrapped by a third party vendor. Are they still being made? I believe so as I recently heard about a 1970's rack. I digress, these were not made, at least initially, to fool people, just to get rid of some cards. However I would have to think any star at the time would have been showing to get the pack sold. I've opened a few of these with utter disappointment. Ex cards and not a looker in the bunch. No stars, nothing. I'd keep it sealed as a novelty, as it was intended. I dont see anywhere where lelands mentioned this was a factory cello pack, in fact, the description reads quite the opposite
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the others, this aftermarket wrap job has zero chance at having a Mantle or any other premium cards in it.

The pack is not worth any sort of premium above X number of EX 1952 Topps singles.

Use the money towards legit 53 cellos or something else.

You do not have to be the one to blow $4k or whatever it is to figure out this is nothing more than some random 52 singles rewrapped sometime after the fact.
  • Options
    I don't think the OP has a choice, aside from just not paying. I bought a mayo cut plug full content pack 'unable to be determined' if opened from an auction house. On inspection, only to find it had been wrapped with Saran wrap! Once I 'opened' the package, the same was completed and I was out some serious coin for 100 year old tobacco. I probably should have smoked it.

I'm curious add to his this turns out. It seems the OP has had issues with eBay wax as well. Unopened is not for the faint of heart
  • Options
    I couldn't help myself ... I'd have to bust open that pack. You never know ... could the big dog be in there? Maybe a Willie Mays? Pack looks like it's in great condition. Good luck!
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Since its been over a month since the auction ended and over a month since anyone has posted on this thread, I and am sure others here are curious to know whatever happened with this and if the OP ended up going through with the sale and if he did, if he received the stocking and the pack--that being said, I look forward to him posting when he has a chance and giving us an update as to what happened--thanks in advance!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    wow...just saw this post...would LOVE to get an update from the buyer as to what he did. Surely you have to go into it thinking it's after market, but when it was made is another story. I wouldn't have the guts to buy it, but if I did, I would for sure take a shot of gentleman's jack and open away!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Belz and others: I was waiting to provide an update as the stocking is currently still with Lelands. I've already paid but I am considering a re-consignment, which is why I've decided to have them hold it for now. Nothing definite for now, still waiting to hear back from them on a number of issues.

Best,
    Josh
  • Options
    Josh, any updates on whatever happened with this?
  • Options
    Yes, its going to be re-consigned to Lelands and should appear in their summer Auction.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Insist that they take new and better pictures, particularly close ups of all the card packs. It was nice they were able to let people know about how many cards were in the Power for Peace cello. The estimated number of cards contained in the baseball cello would also be nice for bidders to know. The Tarzan packs being 1 cent or 5 cent packs might also help with bids.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was a Topps factory issued cello pack.

The Power of Peace cello dates to 1953 and the Tarzan 3D cello dates to 1953; it wouldn't be a stretch to assume the stocking also dates to 1953 (or maybe 1954). I can't imagine repackaging baseball cards was a popular idea in 1954. It was probably more economical to spend the $.05 on a pack.

There are two issues; no one has ever seen a 1952 Topps cello pack before and there are multiple series in the pack (front/back card # combo).

I think it is more likely that Topps packaged excess stock (which we know they had) into cello packs (which we know they had the capacity to make as early as 1953) for wholesale to toy companies rather than a toy company buying cards and cello-wrapping them. In my opinion, this pack originates from the Topps factory around 1953 and is made up of excess inventory, which was sold wholesale to the toy company.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Double post!
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Triple post! Just realized, sorry!
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    The '52 Cello pack is a TOTAL FAKE! Your aftermarket comments are all BS!!!

Sadly, it's just another feeble attempt ~ albeit, one with much success ~ to sell another worthless Christmas Stocking full of junk for a price MUCH higher than it's $25 value.

Some clever person found this old stocking full of 50's era items and said, I'm gonna toss in a 1952 Topps Baseball Cello Pack that is about as real as BIGFOOT to spark interest of EVERYONE wanting a vintage cello pack! It worked!

Come on people, get a clue!!!

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The '52 Cello pack is a TOTAL FAKE! Your aftermarket comments are all BS!!!

Sadly, it's just another feeble attempt ~ albeit, one with much success ~ to sell another worthless Christmas Stocking full of junk for a price MUCH higher than it's $25 value.

Some clever person found this old stocking full of 50's era items and said, I'm gonna toss in a 1952 Topps Baseball Cello Pack that is about as real as BIGFOOT to spark interest of EVERYONE wanting a vintage cello pack! It worked!

Come on people, get a clue!!! >>

I agree it's possible the original owner could've taken a 50s-era toy stocking and added a recently-manufactured cello pack to quintuple the stocking's value.
    I think the key is the stain on the cello. If the stain is on the cello wrap and not on the card inside, IMO this would be hard to fake (not to mention that it is something a scammer would likely not think to include), and might lend more credibility to this being a cello created in the early 50s, either by Topps or someone else. Which in my opinion, would make this a very cool item.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I think the whole issue of repackaged cards is an interesting one. Since Murphy introduced them into hobby there has been a lot of speculation about where they originated and by whom and for what. No original or subsequent repackager(s) have been identified as far as I know, or where they were retailed, if at all. It seems obvious someone is still churning them out today, but were they ever actually packaged in mass for retail as Murphy speculated and if so when, where and who ? I am amazed more has not come to light on all that...even if none of that is true.

I think the issue is great hobby lore, as is this pack. I do not disagree with those who say it is likely a fake, but would like to know more about the origin of this whole genre.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    reconsigned? I dont understand the thought process, maybe I am missing something.

If there was a shred of evidence leading to the validity of this pack, why not you or Lelands send it to PSA?

"The bid you did not expect to win" would lead to a healthy profit, for a minimal investment since you've already paid.

OTOH, if there was a question that it was a repack, are they mentioning that in the auction? If so I'd imagine it would sell for much less.

Sorry this happened, but 1952 is one of the most popular sets out there. In a major auction house, this stocking didnt go under the radar. Many finds of 52 topps have been uncovered from retail stores, and there has not been one instance of this kind of pack mentioned.

The fact that 90% of the value lies in one pack, that is "sealed in the stocking" wouldnt stop anyone from opening the stocking and sending the 52 pack to PSA.

It would be a nice rip under 800.
  • Options
    I see it's back up in the current auction
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see it's back up in the current auction >>

Yup and pure BS that nothing is mentioned in regards to this being an aftermarket repack job. Whether or not it was done in the 50s or in the last decade it is very misleading to be listing it as containing a 1952 Cello Pack.

We have never seen one guys so clearly this is real!!

I think I am gonna make up some T206 rack packs or some 33 Goudey Super Cello packs to consign to Lelands. image
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. I have no expertise on the cello pack itself. So I have no input. But I would say that anyone interested in that stocking should look extremely closely at the staples and header. Something 60+ years will have vintage staples, likely discoloration/rust/age and there should be no extra staple holes in the holder (where it was opened and re-stapled etc). My point is that should have been sealed just one time and for those that are experienced with "age" can often tell if it is of the period or not etc.

If it is an after-market pack but in that era, it is still cool.
  • Options
    Hammered at 2400