Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Farthing's St. George post triggered an epiphany

I'm so not a photographer. 90% of the time my images are just my Canon power shot held with my hand against the edge of a Stone Roses CD case. In metal detecting, and probably other fields, there is an adage about success being more to do with familiarity of your equipment than any other factor--A detectorist who has used their low-end machine for decades and knows what it's saying will out-detect a novice with the highest end machine every time.

I've taken thousands of images with this set-up and experience counts; I think I do fairly well.

But one thing that definitely eludes me is color. I can't capture it to save my life. I've tried every setting, lots of light set-ups, filters, and playing with photoshop. I still suck and suck bad.

Farthing's St. George in gold post reminded me of my 1935 Jubilee crown. I've had this piece for several years and have NEVER been able to capture its color. This is what I was able to get after dozens of tries:

You might think it's a pretty nice piece with some cameo, and on the reverse images you can get a hint of its color. Or you might think it's a pretty blah coin.

But you'd be 100% wrong, and it's not your fault. I'm terrible at capturing color. I'm reluctant to even post its picture because they just don't capture the coin.

This morning I was perusing CU, sitting at my desk with no light source other than a south window blind opened onto the snow-covered ground outside, and the low winter sun reflecting in. I saw Farthing's post again, so I dug out my crown to compare and contrast. And when I set my piece down on my desk...I SAW COLOR! I grabbed my camera and took a few shots before clouds dimmed the room...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's my "secret" as well: diffuse natural light is wonderful for coins. Cloudy days before noon in a room with cellular blinds makes for great photography weather! Snow is particularly helpful as well, and I'm probably going to be reshooting some of mine with it now.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like these as well... I have yet to own one of the proofs

edited to add:

I apologize- This looks to be a terrific coin. My pictures would not be as good as yours

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed, glad you could capture the color.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options

color can be quite difficult to capture properly
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=