Home Precious Metals
Options

Free money to PM investment - Where do you get your free money?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
I have about $550 coming to me this month for CC rewards. I also finally got into Pincone Research and can earn $3.00 at a time doing survey (Slow but it adds up over the year).

So, where do you get your free money and what do you invest it in?

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not 'free' since I have material costs, but painting sales usually go into the mix.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC cash rebates applied to card balance. Ebay bux spent on more bullion.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some buy more ammo. image
  • Options

<< <i>some buy more ammo. image >>

I find that the more ammo I have... the more I go shooting... It gets expensive. I think my sites are zeroed so I limit my expenditure. image
  • Options

<< <i>CC cash rebates applied to card balance. Ebay bux spent on more bullion. >>

I do not keep a balance on the cc and I have never earned any E-Bux image
  • Options

<< <i>Not 'free' since I have material costs, but painting sales usually go into the mix. >>

Why kind of painting do you do? Do you have a link or examples that you can share?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally just apply mine to my CC balance. I have a Bank of America cash rewards card. If I let the points accumulate to at least 300, I get an extra $75 free. Early in the game I was getting tons of bonus points to where I got to 300 in 3-4 months. I wondered how they could afford to keep me as a customer, but they eventually wised up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CC cash rebates applied to card balance. Ebay bux spent on more bullion. >>

I do not keep a balance on the cc and I have never earned any E-Bux image >>

You can still apply CC rebates to monthly balance even if you pay balance in full each month. I do all my shopping with CC's, it's like paying 5.5% sales tax instead of the normal 7%. Works out to a 25% annual savings in state sales taxes.

• Options

<< <i>I generally just apply mine to my CC balance. I have a Bank of America cash rewards card. If I let the points accumulate to at least 300, I get an extra $75 free. Early in the game I was getting tons of bonus points to where I got to 300 in 3-4 months. I wondered how they could afford to keep me as a customer, but they eventually wised up. >>

I had a CC once that gave a $50 EE Savings Bond ($25 value) for every $2,500 charged. I charged at least $2,500 per month so I got a LOT of EE bonds from them. In the YEARS that I was doing that, I paid interest a total of 1 time for exactly $18.50 (I charged some stuff for deployment then carried the balance for 45 days because I had to find a computer in Iraq that I could log on and pay off the balance).

Anyway, one day I cashed them all and used them to pay down my mortgage. I had a couple thousand dollars in EE Bonds, so many that when I went to cash them in, the bank would not do them all in one day, I had to return a second day to finish them off.

image They hate me...lol. Eventually they "Did away" with that program. I am with USAA now.
  • Options

<< <i>I generally just apply mine to my CC balance. I have a Bank of America cash rewards card. If I let the points accumulate to at least 300, I get an extra $75 free. Early in the game I was getting tons of bonus points to where I got to 300 in 3-4 months. I wondered how they could afford to keep me as a customer, but they eventually wised up. >>

I had a CC once that gave a $50 EE Savings Bond ($25 value) for every $2,500 charged. I charged at least $2,500 per month so I got a LOT of EE bonds from them. In the YEARS that I was doing that, I paid interest a total of 1 time for exactly $18.50 (I charged some stuff for deployment then carried the balance for 45 days because I had to find a computer in Iraq that I could log on and pay off the balance).

Anyway, one day I cashed them all and used them to pay down my mortgage. I had a couple thousand dollars in EE Bonds, so many that when I went to cash them in, the bank would not do them all in one day, I had to return a second day to finish them off.

image They hate me...lol. Eventually they "Did away" with that program. I am with USAA now.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    delete, OT
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 3D printing as a hobby couple years back and enjoy the creation process. Craiglist and other listing sites provide plenty of folks with cash needing stuff made. Electronic parts enclosures primarily but it can range from adult stuff to zoology research. All the extra goes into PM's.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Now this will probably be the best "free money" story.

Early on in my career I put a very aggressive retirement plan together so I could retire at 55. I have had 5 heart attacks (heart disease in family for generations) and just turned 63. Never thought I would get out of the 50's. I am on my 7th SS check and its like Christmas as it is free money to me and the better half. Retirement is more than we could ever spend.....

I count my blessings every day. More monster boxes please.

Tom
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    My "free money" has gone to buy diapers and baby food the past 2 years. No precious metals in hand, but precious memories in heart. I'd take the latter anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Before the baby, I would buy PM's for several stacker friends of mine and make a little off the top to purchase PM's for my stack. My dad owns a service station and I would work a little on off days mounting tires, doing brake jobs, wrenching on motors to make a little extra $$$ for coins and PM's.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Now this will probably be the best "free money" story.

Early on in my career I put a very aggressive retirement plan together so I could retire at 55. I have had 5 heart attacks (heart disease in family for generations) and just turned 63. Never thought I would get out of the 50's. I am on my 7th SS check and its like Christmas as it is free money to me and the better half. Retirement is more than we could ever spend.....

Tom >>

Retirement is a great thing. I urge all of our younger members here to start the financial ball rolling on being able to retire at as young an age as possible.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I am on my 7th SS check and its like Christmas as it is free money to me and the better half. >>

I suppose that it was not free for the many years that the taxes were deducted from your income.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Retirement is a great thing. I urge all of our younger members here to start the financial ball rolling on being able to retire at as young an age as possible. >>

It's like going to Heaven, without having to die. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Retirement is a great thing. I urge all of our younger members here to start the financial ball rolling on being able to retire at as young an age as possible. >>

It's like going to Heaven, without having to die. image >>

Problem is that it is getting more difficult for the average middle class wage earner to save significant amounts as wages are nearly frozen and mandated health care costs are going through the roof.

The golden age for the American worker has left us as we slam the next generation with the mistakes of unfunded runaway social programs
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I try to live below my means... that includes having completely paid off all my debt by my late 30s, including mortgage. During that process, some of my friends who are more stock market/401(K) focused gave me a raised eyebrow ("why would you want to get rid of a big tax deduction?", etc.). Well anyway, when the eventual downsizing came and my white collar corp. job disappeared, I was able to not only work on developing my own business full time (which has worked out great), but have also had enough left over to dabble in PMs.

I think the big lesson is that your disposable income is what's left over after you pay your expenses... and if you get rid of some of your big fixed expenses, it's a lot easier to still have money left over.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Problem is that it is getting more difficult for the average middle class wage earner to save significant amounts as wages are nearly frozen and mandated health care costs are going through the roof.

The golden age for the American worker has left us as we slam the next generation with the mistakes of unfunded runaway social programs. >>

Most in this boat are keeping themselves there by being slaves to debt or continually having the best and the latest and greatest in gadgets and comforts. To get off the boat one has to take a serious look at their spending habits and develop a strategy of sacrifice and saving.

For example, I could personally drive any car I desired but choose to outright own a 2003 caddy and a 2010 Hyundai. Maintenance is cheaper and insurance is cheaper, yet I still drive in comfort. With a great net combined retirement income my wife is still the coupon queen. Being frugal does not require one to live in poverty. I live as comfortable as I desire, but it took years of small sacrifices that finally added up. Additionally, years of not wanting or need the best conditioned me to be comfortable and happy with less.

Anyone complaining that they can't save needs to take a very hard look at what they are spending. Higher costs of living have always been a road block. He who gets to the finish line learns to adapt and work through them.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tom >>

Retirement is a great thing. I urge all of our younger members here to start the financial ball rolling on being able to retire at as young an age as possible. >>

Retirement is the worst thing, financial freedom is a great thing, especially without having to work years doing something you don't really want to do, one doing what they want never retires...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Most in this boat are keeping themselves there by being slaves to debt or continually having the best and the latest and greatest in gadgets and comforts. To get off the boat one has to take a serious look at their spending habits and develop a strategy of sacrifice and saving. >>

Great logic for the baby boomers. Not so good for the young families though that are sacrificing as a matter of survival rather than having a dream of early retirement. Derry, things are different today....much different.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Not really mentioned on here but buying cash flow properties will allow those normally stuck in the normal 9-5 to be able to break out of that grind and maybe move up a bit faster than the corporate ladder. Obviously a knowledge of RE is necessary, but can be obtained without high costing degrees and a bit of hard work.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Anyone complaining that they can't save needs to take a very hard look at what they are spending. Higher costs of living have always been a road block. He who gets to the finish line learns to adapt and work through them. "

One of the keys….no matter the times.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tom >>

Retirement is a great thing. I urge all of our younger members here to start the financial ball rolling on being able to retire at as young an age as possible. >>

Retirement is the worst thing, financial freedom is a great thing, especially without having to work years doing something you don't really want to do, one doing what they want never retires... >>

Sorry to hear you didn't plan for the future and that that you settled for a career that you hated. Maybe it's not too late to invest in yourself and your future.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The golden age for the American worker has left us as we slam the next generation with the mistakes of unfunded runaway social programs >>

OUCH! That hurt to read... true, but painful.
  • Options

<< <i> I am on my 7th SS check and its like Christmas as it is free money to me and the better half. >>

I felt this same way when I started drawing my Military Pension.

<< <i>I suppose that it was not free for the many years that the taxes were deducted from your income. >>

This is how the rest of my family felt when I started drawing my Military Pension.

• Options

<< <i>I think the big lesson is that your disposable income is what's left over after you pay your expenses... and if you get rid of some of your big fixed expenses, it's a lot easier to still have money left over. >>

EXACTLY!
  • Options

<< <i>Retirement is the worst thing, financial freedom is a great thing, especially without having to work years doing something you don't really want to do, one doing what they want never retires... >>

Very few are fortunate enough to accomplish this. Many go to where the money is with a dream to someday stop doing what they "Must" do, so they can retire and do what they "Want" to do. You are correct, those that find themselves doing what they love, never really retire. But to the majority of us, we do what me must to make ends meet and to be able to set ourselves up for the future. With that, it's important to spend wisely and have a plan to get past the "must" and move on to the "want".

This thread has turned out great, I hope others are learning from it.
  • Options
    Retirement is the worst thing, financial freedom is a great thing, especially without having to work years doing something you don't really want to do, one doing what they want never retires... >>

I made a plan and stuck with it and now every day is a Saturday. I cut firewood to stay healthy and work in my wood workshop when and if I want to, travel whenever and wherever we want to, and spoil the grandson. Drive nice new truck every three years and wife has nice car for her. So school, hard work, and planning does work.
    Tom