Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need some help -Ancient coins

Currency and coin guy here but these are just not my area -would appreciate any help identifying these. Ptolomy was as far as I was able to get. Values would help too. Thanks in advance- Mike

#1 weighs 35 gms according to my kitchen scale .

#2 Weighs 41 gms

#3 weighs 74 gms

Centurialcollectibles.com

EBAY SELLER ID CENTURYCOLL
Ebay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    They are indeed all Ptolemaic Egypt, these can be tough if not impossible to identify when they all have Zeus-Ammon on the obverse and an eagle on a thunderbolt on the reverse, or in the case of a shared rule between two monarchs, two eagles, and everyone is named Ptolemy

the divot in the center is perfectly acceptable and normal, we believe they were lathed or pressed instead of hammer struck

the first one has some sort of symbol in front of the eagle so it can be narrowed down if someone knows what that's supposed to be

the other two will be tough with no other visible symbols unless I'm blind

they just say "of King Ptolemy" on the reverse of all 3

I'd like to buy #2 or #3 when someone IDs it correctly, the two eagles are curious

given that #3 Zeus-Ammon appears to be horned and we have two eagles and the coin weighs a ton I'm going to throw a guess out there that it's Ptolemy I while his son Ptolemy II was co-regent 285-283 BCE
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Thanks Cory not sure what their fate will be, most likely Ebay auctions but I'd like to properly describe them.

Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    There is a fantastic website for Ptolemy bronzes. In addition to being able to read the Svoronos reference book online, they have pictures of most types/rules and a handy attribution aid.

Just answer the key questions on this attribution guide to narrow down your attribution. PtolemyBronze Attribution Software
  • Options
    Thanks very helpful

Ebay Auctions