Home Sports Talk

Penn State and Paterno get wins added back

DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Paterno.....what a dolt. He was my last sports hero.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Damn, 111 wins in one day. I'm told that's a record.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always thought it was odd to take away the victories. >>

I thought it was odd that all that abuse was going on and none of those coward scumbags did anything about it
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I thought it was odd that all that abuse was going on and none of those coward scumbags did anything about it >>

The almighty dollar is all that matters .

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I thought it was odd that all that abuse was going on and none of those coward scumbags did anything about it >>

Very well said, Perkdog.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    The other punishments were fair game (and really JoePa had to be fired; there was no way he could've continued with all of this hanging over him and the team) but taking the W's away was way out of the NCAA's bounds. W's should only be taken away if it was found that they weren't real (like if they used ineligible players or something). And JoePa himself didn't do any of the abuse...the problem was whether or not he went far enough or not in terms of bringing this situation to the attention of those that it needed to.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't the assistant coach relentlessly diddling children as those wins occurred? Take away all the wins and shut the whole place down forever. If it was up to me I would rule no more football for Penn State period .

I went to 2 colleges and if they were both disbanded I wouldn't even notice 20 years laterimage

I would be like ummmmmm who cares its a stupid college . Been there , done that, paid them for it . No warm feelings, no alma mater nonsense , for me they both ceased to exist the second I left .

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I not surprised. The NCAA is about money, nothing else... and Penn State's football team has been a cash cow for decades. Why not just build a Jerry Sandusky statue and name a youth center after him while they're at it? They obviously don't care what he did or that their godlike "Joe Pa" turned a blind eye along with everyone else. This should have been a death sentence for their football program, plain and simple.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why am I not surprised. The NCAA is about money, nothing else... and Penn State's football team has been a cash cow for decades. Why not just build a Jerry Sandusky statue and name a youth center after him while they're at it? They obviously don't care what he did or that their godlike "Joe Pa" turned a blind eye along with everyone else. This should have been a death sentence for their football program, plain and simple. >>

Disagree, they had no right to take away wins. The players won those games, not the coaches.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

<< <i>

<< <i>Why am I not surprised. The NCAA is about money, nothing else... and Penn State's football team has been a cash cow for decades. Why not just build a Jerry Sandusky statue and name a youth center after him while they're at it? They obviously don't care what he did or that their godlike "Joe Pa" turned a blind eye along with everyone else. This should have been a death sentence for their football program, plain and simple. >>

Disagree, they had no right to take away wins. The players won those games, not the coaches. >>

Somehow I doubt they did this due to their great love for the players.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

Textbook definition of a strawman argument. For those not familiar with the term it's where someone argues against a pretend (usually more extreme or unpopular position) viewpoint that the other side doesn't really believe. As I said before, the other punishments Penn State got were fair game (and by now have been served anyway), and fair or not, JoePa had to be fired when they did, there was simply no other way. All I personally am saying is that only taking the W's away was going too far, nothing else. C'mon, nobody is really calling for a Sandusky statue or youth center. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>

Textbook definition of a strawman argument. For those not familiar with the term it's where someone argues against a pretend (usually more extreme or unpopular position) viewpoint that the other side doesn't really believe. As I said before, the other punishments Penn State got were fair game (and by now have been served anyway), and fair or not, JoePa had to be fired when they did, there was simply no other way. All I personally am saying is that only taking the W's away was going too far, nothing else. C'mon, nobody is really calling for a Sandusky statue or youth center. image >>

Strawman? No. It's called using hyperbole. The second sentence of my statement sums up my point. Having the wins restored is just another step in sweeping this under the rug as if nothing happened and trying to heal the cash cow.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Taking wins away was petty.

They should put Sandusky away for the rest of his life (which they did), put everyone involved on trial (which they are), reach a ridiculously large settlement with the victims (which they did) and fine the crap out of the institution to make sure they realize this is something that should never be swept under the rug for financial reasons (which they did).

Fining students and removing wins was not needed.

I get the urge to punish evil men for the crimes they commit, but sometimes punishing people just for the sake of feeling better about a horrible situation is unnecessary.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Disagree, they had no right to take away wins. The players won those games, not the coaches. >>

If that is true, then Paterno never deserved the credit he got if "the players" won those games. image

As for taking away the wins, they should have kept that penalty on there to send a message.

Also, whenever we hear former players like Franco Harris spout off in delusional support of Paterno and the regime, I think taking away the wins is a nice touch.

Taking away NCAA football participation for an entire generation would be a good penalty.