Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades Back on a Couple of Rare Capped Bust Halves

As promised, I took advantage of the PCGS Quarterly Special offering 1/2 off variety attribution fee. I'm pleased with the grades on these two; F15 and G06. I was hoping they might stretch to VG08 on the 1827, but looking at it again, I think they made the right call at G06, though it is a very choice G06.

The 1809 is O.114 R5. PCGS has graded a total of 2 examples of this rare prime die state.

The 1827 is O.144 R5+ and was the first R5< Bust half I owned. Although it's not the most pristine example out there, the eye appeal is outstanding considering the level of wear. PCGS has graded just 7 examples of this elusive die marriage, but I would guesstimate the total known population (including raw coins) to be in the range of 50-75 coins.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭


    Awesome.....


  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job Buddy......
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice and crusty!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>CAC next? image >>



    I usually send coins to CAC before I sell them, but since these two are for my personal collection and won't be sold unless I upgrade (which is doubtful), they will remain sticker-less.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    The 1809 is a great example of how nice an f15 can look.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Nice coins Brian! Keep 'em comin!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

    http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Both are great examples for the grade.
    image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them both
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins are quite attractive for the grade. Unfortunately, I don't buy into the Overton number bit so the fact that they are "R5" means nothing to me. I know the collecting of Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton number is very popular so, if you are OK with it and don't end up burying yourself, enjoy the coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    congrats............
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are quite the CBH technician, Brian....very nice acquisitions.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671 ✭
    Both very rare variety's. Good work. image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Both coins are quite attractive for the grade. Unfortunately, I don't buy into the Overton number bit so the fact that they are "R5" means nothing to me. I know the collecting of Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton number is very popular so, if you are OK with it and don't end up burying yourself, enjoy the coins. >>



    Those might be fighting words to a bust nut. You make it sound like Overton was focusing on quirky characteristic, and arbitrarily assigning out numbers without rhyme or reason. Overton made a science of die marriages and die states. Granted, some of the varieties are far more interesting than others, but to suggest that bust specialists are going to go broke chasing meaningless varieties seems a little ignorant. The recent Heritage sale of R5s brought some extremely competitive prices and I trust the sellers made out quite well, and I think the buyers will do just fine when the coins come back to market. A lot of the R5s are either not owned by collectors or owned in a low grade or with problems, so demand should remain strong for these when they come to market. But since I'm a bust nut, I have a clear bias, and maybe in the end you'll be proven right, and I'll die broke. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Both coins are quite attractive for the grade. Unfortunately, I don't buy into the Overton number bit so the fact that they are "R5" means nothing to me. I know the collecting of Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton number is very popular so, if you are OK with it and don't end up burying yourself, enjoy the coins. >>



    Those might be fighting words to a bust nut. You make it sound like Overton was focusing on quirky characteristic, and arbitrarily assigning out numbers without rhyme or reason. Overton made a science of die marriages and die states. Granted, some of the varieties are far more interesting than others, but to suggest that bust specialists are going to go broke chasing meaningless varieties seems a little ignorant. The recent Heritage sale of R5s brought some extremely competitive prices and I trust the sellers made out quite well, and I think the buyers will do just fine when the coins come back to market. A lot of the R5s are either not owned by collectors or owned in a low grade or with problems, so demand should remain strong for these when they come to market. But since I'm a bust nut, I have a clear bias, and maybe in the end you'll be proven right, and I'll die broke. image >>



    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Both coins are quite attractive for the grade. Unfortunately, I don't buy into the Overton number bit so the fact that they are "R5" means nothing to me. I know the collecting of Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton number is very popular so, if you are OK with it and don't end up burying yourself, enjoy the coins. >>

    One person's passion is another's apathy. That's what makes collecting so fun.

    Nice coins.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Both coins are quite attractive for the grade. Unfortunately, I don't buy into the Overton number bit so the fact that they are "R5" means nothing to me. I know the collecting of Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton number is very popular so, if you are OK with it and don't end up burying yourself, enjoy the coins. >>



    Those might be fighting words to a bust nut. You make it sound like Overton was focusing on quirky characteristic, and arbitrarily assigning out numbers without rhyme or reason. Overton made a science of die marriages and die states. Granted, some of the varieties are far more interesting than others, but to suggest that bust specialists are going to go broke chasing meaningless varieties seems a little ignorant. The recent Heritage sale of R5s brought some extremely competitive prices and I trust the sellers made out quite well, and I think the buyers will do just fine when the coins come back to market. A lot of the R5s are either not owned by collectors or owned in a low grade or with problems, so demand should remain strong for these when they come to market. But since I'm a bust nut, I have a clear bias, and maybe in the end you'll be proven right, and I'll die broke. image >>



    Couldn't have said it better myself. >>



    Just make sure you don't make yourself the "greater fool" when it comes to paying big money for varieties. The coin collecting hobby is going to change a great deal over the next few decades and you are young enough to be a witness to all that will happen. I have been collecting since 1961 and can tell you that collecting tastes do change over time. Capped Bust Half Dollars have the potential to remain popular because they are both large and available, much like Morgan Dollars ,,, but will there be enough wealthy collectors in the future to support the market? I don't claim to know the answer. Just be cautious and spend your money wisely.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian

    Congrats, two great pieces
    Frank

    BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file