Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

LC's 2015 Box Rips (10/12 2013 Topps FB Hanger)

First rip of the new year, got a replacement for one of my 99 Bowman Chrome Series 1 boxes that was dinged so the carnage shall commence....
My scanner doesn't handle the shiny stuff very well, so I'll apologize in advance for the rest of the scans.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left stack of 8 packs (4 cards per pack) yielded the following:
    Nothing in the base except prospect busts w/Ruben Rivera & David Justice as the only vets. 2 International, 2 refractors and 1 Diamond Ace insert.
    Center stack highlights:
    Burrell base RC, Pedro & Kearns International, a Scouts Choice, Nomar Diamond Aces refractor, and Burch Gold sig.
  • Pedro and Nomar sightings! image
    Hits from the right stack:
    Grieve & Garcia Internationals, Walker Gold sig, and Beltran Scouts Choice. Fun rip for under $20 delivered and quite a few parallels to add to my Master set build. Odd that there were only 2 veterans base cards (#s 1-70) in the entire box and missed out on the last base card I need to wrap up this series.
    Hopefully a little more excitement with this one and my first time ripping these. I found several boxes of 92 Bowman reasonably priced and will be ripping two of them over the next several days. Hoping for some gradeable stars and key rookie cards as well as completing a master set of all the E sheet and gold foil variations detailed here . Any of the 8 zero Pop 10s would be nice as well. Any packs with stars/key rookies showing will not be ripped. It's pretty easy to tell the front card, but the back card can be tricky. Starting with all the packs in the upper left quadrant top to bottom.

First pack: Boom! Rickey Henderson on top (unknown on back) so this one will be set aside.
    Second pack: Doug Strange on top, Larry Walker on back - 3 E sheet cards on top, two of which I need for the master, 5 C/D sheet cards, 1 gold foil, and 6 A/B sheet cards on back

It's like this box was meant for me, Larkin gold foil in my first pack opened image These two in CS1s for now.
    Couple other hits, but not submittable.
    Pack 3: Julio Franco front/Candiotti back 3E/5CD/1GF/6AB
    Big Unit and Ventura foil, need to check pops and sales to see if either is worth submitting

Pack 4: Greg Hansell front/unknown back

To be continued....
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Love the Larkin first pack. I pulled a Dez jersey in the first pack of a rip the other day, which was cool since so many of my modern pulls are chumps. Gotta love a good start.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

<< <i>Love the Larkin first pack. I pulled a Dez jersey in the first pack of a rip the other day, which was cool since so many of my modern pulls are chumps. Gotta love a good start. >>

My thoughts exactly!

Checked the tops of packs 4-9 and no stars showing, so the carnage will continue.

Highlights from packs 4 & 6! Pack 5 was a bust, but who cares image

Any guesses on grades? The Rivera looks a bit tilted, though I think still within 9 parameters.

All E-sheet cards thus far are of the no * variety. I'm hoping to get a mix, but if not I should wrap up the no *s pretty quickly.

Wrapping up the first stack, packs 7-9 highlights. A couple sharp, non-gradable HOFers, RIP Kirby:
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pulls image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Moving on to the lower-left quadrant, packs 10-12 highlights (if you can call them that):
    Packs 13-15 were a little more generous, a couple HOFers with 10 potential + a few other stars/HOFers without:
    A couple of the zero Pop 10 cards and if most are like these, I can see why:

<< <i>Nice pulls image >>

Thanks! Almost made me want to stop ripping this box, the rest can only be a letdown from packs 4 & 6 image Hoping for some sharp Chippers and Piazzas to keep the excitement up.
    Matthew 7:7, highlight from packs 16-18 & another completely unsubmittable zero pop 10 w/PD on the back to go with the lack of centering:
    Probably done ripping for today, will continue on Monday.
    Starting the upper-right quadrant, highlights of packs 19-21 (wishing the Delgado was centered better R/L):
    Packs 22-24, complete bust w/a Molitor the best card of the bunch.

Packs 25-27, B2B2B in pack 25 - 2 HOFers w/Will Clark sandwiched in between (also hit a Percival rookie):
    Final stack in the front-right quadrant, packs 28-30 were pretty much a bust with Eck as the highlight.

Packs 31-33, accidentally opened pack 31 with a Nolan Ryan on front. Didn't have him on my list of E sheet stars image and couldn't quite make out the name through the wrapper. A really sharp Sosa as well.

Packs 34-36, nice Griffey Jr and Sandberg, but I think I'll need to measure the R/L to see if it falls within 10 guidelines. Though Griffey is not a low-pop 10, he seems to be much tougher than most percentage-wise.

This was a blast to rip! One HOFer on top pack that didn't get ripped, eleven submittable cards of HOFers and stars and got me pretty close to wrapping up the E (no star) variations. I'm off to pick out which box is the next victim...
    Box 2 ripping commenced, nice to see a mix of E/E* cards (all the same in a given pack, but alternating packs), but first 9 packs have yielded little to get excited about:

I have some reservations on this box based on the rip so far. It is one that I'd purchased quite a while ago from a different seller than the last rip and seems to be an 'assembled' box.
    OK, the level of duplication (triplication and even quadruplication) through half the box lead me to a 'high statistical probability' of this being an assembled box of packs by someone with sequencing knowledge and not as it left the factory. Not much star power either, but did get a couple that look gradeable:image
    Second half of the box was a near complete shutout, Griffey Jr & McGwire potentially gradeable, but other than that I'm pretty sure it was just packs that no one else wanted to open.
  • Hi Larkin, Nice stuff. Wanted to share mine too. I have this recent pent up need to share my cards as I don't have anyone around in to it. And for some reason I just think the cards deserve more credit than just me looking at them, if that makes any psycho sense. I sent a few in and await results. No Rivera though, bummer.

These poor guys not only didn't make it as a professional ball player but also have to live the rest of their lives with their cards haunting them. They're friends nowadays have this on them in times of needed burn. These aren't baseball calls. It's GQ cards

<< <i>Hi Larkin, Nice stuff. Wanted to share mine too. I have this recent pent up need to share my cards as I don't have anyone around in to it. And for some reason I just think the cards deserve more credit than just me looking at them, if that makes any psycho sense. I sent a few in and await results. No Rivera though, bummer. >>

I did see my missing Piazza in your box at least image Always a fun rip, even with some of those awful photos.
  • You have Garret Anderson mixed up with the nobody's. Man I hated to see him come up with an rbi opportunity against my M's, he just killed us. He was a great player, I wonder if Garret Ever smiled? Lol

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I always loved that 92 Bowman set; thanks for sharing the rips.

By the way, I think Braulio Castillo was actually one of the DeBarge brothers
    Ripped 20 of 24 cellos (29 cards/pack) from a 91 Bowman box, here's the RC/HOFer/Star highlights:
  • It is interesting how Bowman completely changed design and format from 1989 to 1992 and beyond. Are you going to also open some 1989s ? Thanks for posting the pictures.

<< <i>It is interesting how Bowman completely changed design and format from 1989 to 1992 and beyond. Are you going to also open some 1989s ? Thanks for posting the pictures. >>

I've got a few boxes of 89s stashed away, but don't plan to rip any of that anytime soon, just looking to pick up a couple more boxes of the different packaging variations for my unopened stash. I don't have much left to chase there except 3 textured TV variations on the father/son cards (only 1 left of confirmed to exist). That release really got overlooked with UDs 1st issue being the same year.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What was Bowman thinking. Some of those cards look like Senior pictures.
  • Why did you leave 4 packs unopened? Larkin showing?

<< <i>Why did you leave 4 packs unopened? Larkin showing? >>

Needed to backfill a couple other boxes. That was one of them image
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite sets (like white bordered issues). I see no one got a Frank Thomas in any of the 92 packs.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

<< <i>One of my favorite sets (like white bordered issues). I see no one got a Frank Thomas in any of the 92 packs. >>

Definitely an oddity, though I think it's only 89 packs opened (71 from me - Henderson on top pack did not get opened and 18 from thirtytwo - though these were jumbos). I had to go back and check, confirmed no 114 or 551 in either box for me.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the 1991 Bowman set. It's pretty under the radar. Bagwell and IRod rookies are tough in PSA 10 and I rarely see unopened offered more than a loose wax box at a time. If only they could've included Pedro Martinez in the set.

<< <i>Love the 1991 Bowman set. It's pretty under the radar. Bagwell and IRod rookies are tough in PSA 10 and I rarely see unopened offered more than a loose wax box at a time. If only they could've included Pedro Martinez in the set. >>

Agreed on all. It's tough to find a decent box to buy, shipping usually prices out individual box purchases.
    Latest victim:
    Hits:
    Top row: Finally got a Sabathai RC (and two more base needs not shown), a couple Internationals
    Middle: A couple Refractors and a Gold
    Bottom: Another Gold, 2 Impacts, and one 2000 ROY Fav
  • Grades from cards posted above. Not really low pop now are they image The Piazza is a pop 6466.

<< <i>Grades from cards posted above. Not really low pop now are they image The Piazza is a pop 6466. >>

Def not low pop in 9s, but 10s are surprisingly difficult. I'm actually surprised the Hoffman is a 9 with that L/R centering.

Picked up a couple discount blasters Saturday for 2013 Topps Prime and Strata, nothing too special, but here are the 'hits' and a couple stars:
    OK inserts/parallels, a couple local team rookies, nice trio of QB base
    Rookie die cuts look pretty cool from this set and the Black Onyx Keenan/Cruz, big name QB base cards and hit several decent base RCs w/potential (Cordarelle, Knile, Montee, Escobar, etc)

All I'm really interested in keeping are the P Manning/Brees/Luck cards and the Brady's are already spoken for. If you see anything else that interests you or need any other base cards from either set, just PM me.
    Another box of 99BC Series 1 ripped, here's the hits and highlights...
    IRod was the last base card I needed for this series, Burrell is one of the two 'big' rookie hits (no Kearns in this box) and the Internationals
    Decent refractor hits, a couple Gold Sigs, and the inserts. No parallel/insert refractors this box, but always a fun rip for $25.
    I picked up slum22's rippers lot of 85D & 83F from the BST a week or so ago, 10 packs went to DanB, and I ripped the rest. First up, 15 packs of 85D. Here's the hits (and I'm using that term really loosely in this case)...
    In my quest to chase a personally pack pulled Puckett (try saying that 3x quickly), I should not have opened the pack with Yount showing. That was the most tilted card of the bunch. I've always really liked the 'Two for the Title' card, though it's always rough to see Rose as an Expo. Thankfully the 83F packs were a much better rip. Scans on those will be a while as I still need to sort....
    18 packs of 83F, loaded w/stars and HOFers...
    Always loved the Super Star Specials...
    As you can see from the previous two scans, almost everything is OC to the left and the two big hits didn't escape that pattern....
    Possibly a straight 8 on the Gwynn w/Ryno in the 9OC/7 range. As always, ripping is a blast and these cards were sharp!
  • Always good to see those HOF RCs. I had never seen the Two for the Title card, but that's pretty cool.

<< <i>I had never seen the Two for the Title card, but that's pretty cool. >>

I have a beater copy in my childhood binder, probably picked up at a show in the late 80s. Donruss and Fleer were almost impossible to find in packs in my hometown in the early/mid 80s, so it was nice to finally get a chance to rip some.

• << <i>

<< <i>I had never seen the Two for the Title card, but that's pretty cool. >>

I have a beater copy in my childhood binder, probably picked up at a show in the late 80s. Donruss and Fleer were almost impossible to find in packs in my hometown in the early/mid 80s, so it was nice to finally get a chance to rip some. >>

One of my favorite cards from the boom days. Vividly remember paying $10 at a show for that card. Of course this was the period when the 84 Donruss Mattingly was selling for $150.
    Finally picked up some new ripping material....
    I'll post any hits. If anyone needs base or other inserts let me know.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always enjoy seeing the newer (shiney) product ripped as well as the old and the results posted for both.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Well, the results were none too pleasing on this one. I've ripped a lot of Best the past few years and this box should have been labeled Bowman's Worst...
    Base Mantle insert, Best Cuts Junior, and Best Cuts Refractor Andruw. No refractors of the base cards (should be two per box), and lots of packs with back-to-back duplicates for the first two cards.
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the 85D and 83F rips. Great hits. I have opened a to of 85D and have never hit the Two for the Title card. Being a Winfield fan that was a special card. Though that 84 season still stings that he didn't beat out Donnie for the title.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
    I was picking up some Pokemon cards for a sick son over the weekend and had to grab one of these while I was at it. I found it odd that it didn't state how many packs were inside like a typical blaster (8+1 or similar) until I opened it. All 72 cards were in a single clear cello-like wrapping. Has anyone else run across these? Seems like a way for Topps to move leftover product. Hits were all together near the top of the cello, scan coming soon...