Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Uncut Sheet....1982 B Added...

Before I say anything about this item I want to thank Rob England (Wrestlingcardking) for helping make this possible. Thank you Rob.

A few months ago I was alerted that the owner of this sheet was considering selling and really thought nothing of it. Once the item was listed on EBAY for a very high BIN I just assumed this would never find it's way into my collection. A few weeks ago it was brought to my attention that the seller had lowered their expectations and I asked Rob if he would put me in touch with him. This comes from a long time collectors personal collection and was acquired in the 1990's from James Melby one of the editors of The Wrestling News. This is the only known sheet that exists and it was believed that the 1982 B sheet the collector owns was the only one of it's kind as well until Brian from Wrestleprints.com found one buried in some boxes a few months ago.

I am so excited to add this to my collection and it is such a great feeling as a collector to add a cornerstone piece like this to go with the rest of the items I have from the series.

This picture doesn't do this item justice and it is such a cool piece of card collecting history. Even my wife said wow that is cool.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's incredible! Congrats on the pickup and Rob helping you out image
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sopping wet behind the ears where wrestling cards are concerned, but that has never stopped me from admiring your passion for them, D. If ever there were an item that needed to be housed in a particular collection, that uncut sheet undoubtedly needed to be in yours. Besides, when your better half gives her stamp of approval, you know you've acquired something special.

Looks nothing short of awesome!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Congrats! That's going to look sweet up on the wall.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very awesome! I'm glad it found a great home with your collection. Congrats!
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This picture doesn't do this item justice and it is such a cool piece of card collecting history. Even my wife said wow that is cool. >>

Wow, epic find. Congratulations Dpeck.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece. Congrats!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great find. I'm glad it landed in your hands.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I am kind of in shock in reality that it made it into my collection. So cool.

Here is the back.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Great piece. Congrats.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Before I say anything about this item I want to thank Rob England (Wrestlingcardking) for helping make this possible. Thank you Rob.

A few months ago I was alerted that the owner of this sheet was considering selling and really thought nothing of it. Once the item was listed on EBAY for a very high BIN I just assumed this would never find it's way into my collection. A few weeks ago it was brought to my attention that the seller had lowered their expectations and I asked Rob if he would put me in touch with him. This comes from a long time collectors personal collection and was acquired in the 1990's from James Melby one of the editors of The Wrestling News. This is the only known sheet that exists and it was believed that the 1982 B sheet the collector owns was the only one of it's kind as well until Brian from Wrestleprints.com found one buried in some boxes a few months ago.

I am so excited to add this to my collection and it is such a great feeling as a collector to add a cornerstone piece like this to go with the rest of the items I have from the series.

This picture doesn't do this item justice and it is such a cool piece of card collecting history. Even my wife said wow that is cool. >>

I am very happy that you have this. At one time I was talking to the original holder of this sheet and during this time I was thinking, if I acquire this I will have to trade this to dpeck for something. It made much more sense to get Dpeck on it without my interference as it needed to be in his collection. Some things are just meant for others more so than for yourself. I am glad you are thrilled about owning it and that the wife approves too. My other friend is pretty happy too with you having it and being compensated nicely for it. A true collectible. Enjoy.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I got home yesterday evening after work and found a package for me. It was from the seller of this uncut sheet to Dpeck. He sent me a signed postcard of vintage wrestler Dean Detton. Mr. Detton is featured in the 1948 Topps Magic Photos set and he is included in the ultra rare 1930s wrestling exhibits. I was just happy to initiate a deal for both parties and had no idea that anything would be coming my way. I am feeling quite fortunate today.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>I got home yesterday evening after work and found a package for me. It was from the seller of this uncut sheet to Dpeck. He sent me a signed postcard of vintage wrestler Dean Detton. Mr. Detton is featured in the 1948 Topps Magic Photos set and he is included in the ultra rare 1930s wrestling exhibits. I was just happy to initiate a deal for both parties and had no idea that anything would be coming my way. I am feeling quite fortunate today. >>

Bob is a really nice guy. I had the chance to speak with him on the phone for several hours.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great piece to go with your out-of-this-world collection! I really like the added touch of having a glass back to the frame. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great piece to go with your out-of-this-world collection! I really like the added touch of having a glass back to the frame. Congrats! >>

Thank you Jeff. A few people have asked me if I would planned to get a nicer frame but for the time being it is staying put and is now on the wall. This frame is really sturdy and if you ever want to handle the sheet it is a great frame for that since you can see both sides. He had a hard time finding someone back in the day that could complete his request to be able to see the front and back.

With only 36 cards in the set the sheet isn't very big and is close to two feet long and a little over a foot wide. I am looking at it now and it looks great in the spot I had for it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a great piece to go with your out-of-this-world collection! I really like the added touch of having a glass back to the frame. Congrats! >>

Thank you Jeff. A few people have asked me if I would planned to get a nicer frame but for the time being it is staying put and is now on the wall. This frame is really sturdy and if you ever want to handle the sheet it is a great frame for that since you can see both sides. He had a hard time finding someone back in the day that could complete his request to be able to see the front and back.

With only 36 cards in the set the sheet isn't very big and is close to two feet long and a little over a foot wide. I am looking at it now and it looks great in the spot I had for it. >>

Congrats on your pickup. I don't collect wrestling cards but this appears to be a unique item.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

I don't collect wrestling but do enjoy all of the threads regarding them. They are consistently visually entertaining.
    I particularly enjoy the autograph threads and the concepts of the wrestler signing their real name along with their character's name(s). Also, when there is a mention of "The Crusher", I always post the Bugs Bunny clip (I like to amuse myself).

I admire the passion and focus you wrestling collectors have.
    For the wrestling collector, I guess this piece would almost be the equivalent of owning a 1952 high numbers sheet.

Congrats, again.

Paul
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to dpeck for scoring such a cool piece.. Nice of Rob to put you in touch with the seller. I've dealt with both Rob anddave.. Both are class acts. Good to see this work out well for both of them.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>I got home yesterday evening after work and found a package for me. It was from the seller of this uncut sheet to Dpeck. He sent me a signed postcard of vintage wrestler Dean Detton. Mr. Detton is featured in the 1948 Topps Magic Photos set and he is included in the ultra rare 1930s wrestling exhibits. I was just happy to initiate a deal for both parties and had no idea that anything would be coming my way. I am feeling quite fortunate today. >>

I also got a good deal from Dpeck on two graded all stars to finish up my 108 card graded all star set....I just need to sub my Patera to have it complete. I did have a mixed set of signed cards from PSA DNA and just slabbed cards but decided to go with both a PSA DNA set and a PSA set for the wrestling all stars. I'd say that Dpeck gave me 40% off market price on those two cards.

• Options
    This is the guy who traded the uncut sheet to Bob. James Melby.

• Options
    I just picked up the Kamala Speaks book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great find, Rob - and great purchase, D! I purchased my first uncut sheet over the Holidays and they definitely make a fantastic display piece. Enjoy!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Bob decided he was ready to part ways with the other sheet. I am sending him the check today and will post pics once I recieve it later this week or early next week.

In the pics it looks to be more damaged then the 1982 A but I still want it for my collection and to display on the wall. I am running out of empty space in my front office room for card related stuff! image

• Options

I anticipated this potentially happening after the first deal went down. Congratulations on the amazing pick up here.

• Options
    I just got it in the mail. It definitely is creased in a number of places but will look great on the wall.

• Options
    Very nice. I love it when this stuff gets preserved and not cut up or discarded. Great save and nice piece!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. I love it when this stuff gets preserved and not cut up or discarded. Great save and nice piece! >>

Great to see the positioning of each of the cards......thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, congrats David. Always great to read your passion for this set. I'll get a Hogan before the end of the this year image

Question: are there any cards where the top and/or bottom borders show color from another? Like, in the event that a card is ever so slightly miscut.
  • Options
    This is the guy Bob got the sheets from. James Melby.

• Options

<< <i>Very nice, congrats David. Always great to read your passion for this set. I'll get a Hogan before the end of the this year image

Question: are there any cards where the top and/or bottom borders show color from another? Like, in the event that a card is ever so slightly miscut. >>

Patrick on the right hand border this is an issue for a handful of cards from the two 1982 sets. There are some examples of the white cards from the 1982 A set that have blue on top.

If you look at the 1982 B sheet I just posted the Greg Gagne, Killer Kahn, Bobby Heenan, and Jimmy Valiant are impacted frequently. A board member hit the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Greg Gagne in a PSA 9 which is a Pop 1 and an insanely tough card.

• Options

This is a funny story. I am on Instagram as 1982wrestlingallstars and follow some wrestling related pages. I saw this pop up on my feed on Thursday and about had a heart attack. The person who posted it was advertising for an upcoming show of some kind in Canada and posted a photo of an uncut sheet of the 1982 A. They sell items on their page so I quickly sent a direct message to see if it was an uncut sheet. A few hours later they got back to me and said yes and I said is it for sale? They replied a friend had sent the pic to them and they didn't own and they weren't certain if he did and I said well check with him and if he does and it is for sale I am your guy. I was shocked. Could there be another one out there? I gave it some more thought and said let me check mine and compare the two. I breathed a sigh of relief later that day as I photo matched it and it is mine! Haha

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you bumped this thread, because I had never seen these uncut sheets! I'm speechless. They are true works of art, worthy of a place in a museum. Damn.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm glad you bumped this thread, because I had never seen these uncut sheets! I'm speechless. They are true works of art, worthy of a place in a museum. Damn.

Thank you!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goddamn gorgeous. Stunning

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    Goddamn gorgeous. Stunning

They look a lot better in these frames that is for sure. I got museum glass and it is crazy how clear it is. Unfortunately the 82B set is a larger sheet with the wide edges so the frames aren't the exact same size. In my mind I had planned to hand them next to each other but I will figure something else out.

Thanks for the comment.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Truly a piece of history and visually awesome. Congrats

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too