Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL has become a game of holding your breath......

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
.....and waiting for a secondary call from the refs.

Used to be that the action was quick and the decisions absolute. It is now a mockery of its former spectacular self.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    actually, the game pretty much lost its zest when they decided that it was mean and unsafe to just go around trying to knock guys unconscious.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember when we used to walk to school uphill...both ways!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    clearly, between arrival and departure, you learned absolutely nothing. image
  • Options
    Fruit cups will also be served at 1 pm sharp...Bingo to follow!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I remember when we used to walk to school uphill...both ways! >>

My folks were smarter and bought a house where the school was downhill both ways.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....and waiting for a secondary call from the refs.

Used to be that the action was quick and the decisions absolute. It is now a mockery of its former spectacular self. >>

Fortunately the game is faster and the players quicker and stronger then days gone by. The game is simply too fast to be officiated without technology. They need to figure out how to incorporate more technology to render quicker decisions. Most of all, they need to get the calls right.

I miss $.15 cornbread at the high school cafeteria and Mrs. Hildebrandt's big tata's

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>The game is simply too fast to be officiated without technology. >>

Oh yeah, that's it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The game is simply too fast to be officiated without technology. >>

Oh yeah, that's it.

image >>

It's obviously too fast for you. Even with it you can't figure it out

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>It's obviously too fast for you. Even with it you can't figure it out >>

That I agree with! I can no longer figure out the game. It is played out with suits and not uniforms. Sort of like Boris Spassky and Bobby Fischer.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely a problem for somebody who can't tell that a receiver catches a ball......comes down.....takes 2 or 3 steps..... then lunges for the goal line.....and it is called incomplete!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's obviously too fast for you. Even with it you can't figure it out >>

That I agree with! I can no longer figure out the game. It is played out with suits and not uniforms. Sort of like Boris Spassky and Bobby Fischer. >>

You just hate change. Admit it image

Mark
  • Options
    The problem is actually those who are unable to understand the rules or to comprehend what they see in an objective fashion.

All the other gripes and bellyaching is just nonsense.

• Options

<< <i>It's definitely a problem for somebody who can't tell that a receiver catches a ball......comes down.....takes 2 or 3 steps..... then lunges for the goal line.....and it is called incomplete! >>

Does any one else hear that echo in here?

Dimeman even if you say it 100 times and close your eyes and tap your heels together it won't change the facts. No catch.

The end.

MJ

• Options

<< <i>You just hate change. Admit it >>

A couple of years ago a coin dealer that I know well had made several changes to his website. He asked my opinion. I told him that I do not like any changes, at least at first. It takes me a while to learn the new metrics and I deferred my decision to a later time.

In the case of the dealer website, the changes were mostly for the better and once used to it made navigation and purchases much easier.

I really do understand the desire to get every call right in the NFL. I can see why many folks like replay for that reason. With the exception of the blown Bryant reception, the accuracy clearly improves when replay officials oversee the games.

But.....to many folks that have enjoyed the game at a faster and more decisive pace, it is truly difficult to sit though a game now anticipating the next challenge flag and the endless officials kibitzing after way to many plays.

I wonder sometimes if I would enjoy the game more if I were 20 years old and this were the only way that I had known the game to be played. Probably not as I always have had a short attention span and too many lulls in the action have always been a deal killer.
  • Options
    Grote - really.........tell me what you don't see in the clip.

1) He catches the ball with both hands.
    2) Both feet come down on the 5.
    3) He takes 2 steps.
    4) He reaches out with ball in one hand.
    5) Him and the ball hit the ground at the goal line.
    6) Ball comes out.
    7) He retrieves ball in end zone.

Look at the clip and study it before you come back with answer.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's definitely a problem for somebody who can't tell that a receiver catches a ball......comes down.....takes 2 or 3 steps..... then lunges for the goal line.....and it is called incomplete! >>

Dimeman even if you say it 100 times and close your eyes and tap your heels together it won't change the facts. No catch.

The end.

MJ >>

Send him some glitter. Problem solved. Edited to add: site crashed due to this recent story.

• Options

<< <i>

The end.

MJ >>

The power of bias is a powerful drug indeed!

• Options

<< <i>The power of bias is a powerful drug indeed! >>

And what of the guy that wanted to see Dallas lose, that thought it was a catch?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw several calls last weekend that I thought were ridiculous.

NFL is getting less enjoyable to watch with the refs having so much control over the game.

I also disagree that one bad call doesn't determine the outcome of a game. With so many games being decided by one score, one bad call can certainly decide the winner.

I know that I am an old fart and am to stubborn to change.........................just my .02.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Grote - you keep evading the subject. I know it won't change the outcome.

I think you realize that by looking at the clip.....it WAS a catch...and you don't want to admit it.

You can't tell me what part of that clip makes it a no catch....can you!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Dimeman should be happy he doesn't have to cry about losing the NFC Championship game- instead, it was just a silly Divisional game
  • Options
    What Cnote fails to realize.....is that Dallas would have beat Seattle "AGAIN"!

And Green Bay will beat you now.
  • Options

<< <i>What Cnote fails to realize.....is that Dallas would have beat Seattle "AGAIN"!

And Green Bay will beat you now. >>

Yeah, the defense healthy, the cancer playing for the NYJ...I'm sure Dallas would win, and Green Bay will win Sunday. I'm fully aware of all these things. image
  • Options

<< <i>Grote - you keep evading the subject. I know it won't change the outcome.

I think you realize that by looking at the clip.....it WAS a catch...and you don't want to admit it.

You can't tell me what part of that clip makes it a no catch....can you! >>

Honestly, I'm not evading the subject~I just realized that trying to enlighten you is a fruitless pursuit~you are either delusional or biased. am betting probably the latter, though some might claim a bit of the former, too, lol..

First off, there was no catch and steps taken after the catch. If there were, we wouldn't be debating this call at all. The fact is, the "steps" you see were all part of Bryant coming down with the reception, immediately after which the ball touched the turf. There was no "football move" after he came down when he rolled into the end zone. I agree that the rule is a lousy one but it is the official's responsibility to make the call based on the rulebook. I don't know how much clearer I can make that to you. You obviously don't understand the rule and that's ok. But when the head of NFL officiating and its former VP of officiating BOTH say the reversal was correct, the reversal was correct. That's what these guy do for their livelihood! Arguing they are mistaken is like Mike Pereira telling you that the domes in your sig line are not dimes but half dimes or nickels. That an MS66 Barber dime is AU at best. You'd have the benefit of experience and knowledge to tell him, "No, you are WRONG." But somehow you don't grasp this concept. That's ok...people go through life refusing to challenge misconceptions all the time. You are not alone, but you are still incorrect.

• Options
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows that Dez Bryant caught that ball because he had control of the ball when he tried to stretch for the goal line. The NFL rule book is full of arbitrary rules to where the league command center can make its determination to their liking. Its the same reason why the tuck rule has a loose interpretation. If that had been a Raider QB having the ball stripped away like that it would have been a fumble and the tuck rule would have still been waiting on the back burner. The tuck rule was only going to see the light of day when one of the NFL darlings like the Patriots, Packers, or Giants needed it. That's why certain teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Giants, and Patriots get away with arms to the QB's head and helmet to helmet contact while the lower market teams such as the Lions, Buccaneers, Raiders, Jacksonville always get called for these penalties if they get anywhere near an opposing quarterback or another players head. If your a good team you are allowed more leeway with holding and if you complain and lobby after a play you can sometimes get a late flag thrown. If your a team with a losing record complaining about a call there is no late flag coming in your favor. The only time the losing record team gets calls to go their way is when the game is already decided or they have already been penalized 3 to 1 over the winning team. Then a few more yellow flags will come in their favor to get that ratio closer to 2 to 1 or under. You can't complain to the league if the ratio of flags is 2 to 1 or under, you only have a case of impropriety if you are consistently 3 to 1 or worse in penalties. Then you can show tape of missed calls committed by your opponent and have the ear of the NFL. Until then, grazing the facemask by a losing team is a 15 yard penalty and if done by a winning team it is simply a missed call.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    ....not to mention the Jordan travel rules!
  • Options
    Grote - I understand the rule. The difference between you and the replay ref......AND......me and everyone else plus the ref on the field right there....... IS.....did he make a football move.

My group says yes....what else would you call taking steps and a lunge towards the goal line???? He caught the ball on the 5 and ended up on the goal line. That's 15 feet. How did he go 15 feet without taking steps and a lunge???

The steps and the lunge are a definite football move.

I guarantee you that if that play was out in the middle of field and a Packer recovered the ball.......they would be screaming "catch and a fumble"! image
  • Options
    LOL, yes, why should I be in agreement with anyone who has even rudimentary knowledge of the rule when I can side with a group of biased and clueless Cowboy fans that are now raising holy heck at the same refs that gave them a gift the week before?

Tenniscoach, your contention is ludicrous and has no basis in fact, just erroneous speculation on your part which is typical of sour grapes fans. Even if your conspiracy theory were correct, the refs should have ruled the Bryant catch a reception as Dallas is arguably the biggest of the media darlings in football and certainly have a much wider fan base than Green Bay.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The power of bias is a powerful drug indeed! >>

And what of the guy that wanted to see Dallas lose, that thought it was a catch? >>

I guess we would cancel each other out as I wanted Dallas to win. However, knowing that rule very well I knew instantly it wasn't a catch. He didn't complete the process.

The evil in me did laugh at loud when I thought about the poetic justice of it all as a Lions fan.

MJ
  • Options
    You can't complain to the league if the ratio of flags is 2 to 1 or under,

This statement might be the most amusing I've read on this forum. Dimeman, I need you to step it up!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TennisCoach, I think you just left me with permanent retinal burn. Please tell me you have a mountain of empirical evidence lodged in your undies and that wasn't sheer conjecture.
  • Options

<< <i>TennisCoach, I think you just left me with permanent retinal burn. Please tell me you have a mountain of empirical evidence lodged in your undies and that wasn't sheer conjecture. >>

I reformatted his post using the ancient technique of paragraphs. Conjecture. Sheer as Lululemon Yoga pants.

Mark
  • Options
    >>>I guess we would cancel each other out as I wanted Dallas to win. However, knowing that rule very well I knew instantly it wasn't a catch. He didn't complete the process.<<<

How in the world is catching the ball and taking steps for 5 yards not completing the process!!!!????
  • Options

<< <i>>>>I guess we would cancel each other out as I wanted Dallas to win. However, knowing that rule very well I knew instantly it wasn't a catch. He didn't complete the process.<<<

How in the world is catching the ball and taking steps for 5 yards not completing the process!!!!???? >>

Simple (to most, at least). The ball touched the turf after he came down from being up in the air to make the catch and before Bryant rolled into the end zone. As Pereira tried to explain from the booth even before the call was reversed, that is by rule an incomplete pass. But what does Pereira know? He was only the former VP of officiating for the NFL. I'll take the Cowboy fan's interpretation instead.

• Options
    You and that idiot official are saying he caught the ball.....came down....and hit the ground!

What was he doing between the 5 and the goal line (15 feet). He CAUGHT the ball on the 5....took steps and lunged (all moves he made) before he hit the ground! By the RULE taking those steps completed the process!!!

I guess what you are saying is that he fell 15 feet down field......BUT....the clip clearly shows his feet moving him downfield. image
  • Options
    Dimeman, believe what you want. I'm not going to debate it any longer. The call was made. You lost. Time to move on.

• Options

<< <i>Dimeman, believe what you want. I'm not going to debate it any longer. The call was made. You lost. Time to move on. >>

Agree, the call was made and that ain't gonna change.

Watched the replay 20 times an hour ago in slo mo and real time. Dallas got robbed. Can't blame the ref, he did his job.
  • Options
    You people that believe Dez took no steps are beyond help and remind me of the Stepford Wives!

I know the call is not going to be changed, but it was the WORST call I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football.

You people are not worth the trouble to argue with.

This is my last post on anything on this site.....have fun in Stepfordville!imageimage

And no bating me with insults will not get a reply.....you are not worth it!
  • Options
    You people that believe Dez took no steps are beyond help and remind me of the Stepford Wives!

I know the call is not going to be changed, but it was the WORST call I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football.

This is my last post on anything on this site.....have fun in Stepfordville!

And no bating me with insults will not get a reply.....you are not worth it!

Says the guy who proceeds to insult the majority who actually understand the rule of football.

The Stepford Wives analogy is pretty idiotic even on your level, Dimeman. That pretty much illustrates you've lost the argument to begin with. image

• Options

<< <i>You people that believe Dez took no steps are beyond help and remind me of the Stepford Wives!

This is my last post on anything on this site.....have fun in Stepfordville!imageimage

And no bating me with insults will not get a reply.....you are not worth it! >>

The rule was applied correctly.

Just in case you change your mind we will keep a light on for you.

MJ
  • Options
    I miss him already. Is he back yet?

MJ
  • Options
    BTW, Dimeman, this was your contrention in a thread you started regarding the second, longer pass from Rodgers to Cobb on the sideline right before the half, which was clearly caught by Cobb in the field of play:

You have got to be kidding! That second foot was a yard out!

Link

So my natural question to you would be: if you are so incapable of accepting a pass that was CLEARLY caught in bounds, why should anyone put any stock into your account of the Bryant play? Funny how your bias so clearly shows vs GB in the first scenario while being so balantly in favor of Dallas depending on the play.

If this were a true debate, your credibility would obviously be seriously challenged based on the aforementioned Exhibit A. Case closed.

I know, I know, you won't reply...but you will, I guarantee it, LOL..

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you guys need to think about what type of forum you want to have. I don't think your intentions were to drive other members away, but that's what happens when diplomacy is all but forgotten. Come on guys, show a little tactfulness and don't stay on the offensive all the time.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes you guys need to think about what type of forum you want to have. I don't think your intentions were to drive other members away, but that's what happens when diplomacy is all but forgotten. Come on guys, show a little tactfulness and don't stay on the offensive all the time. >>

It does seem to be a polarizing topic.

On the one hand you have angry Dallas fans , on the other hand ecstatic seahawks fans who knew they would lose to the Cowboys and feel at least there is a thin slice of hope now.

It's speaking of slices Seattle still needs to pack up the golf clubs and be ready to hit the links monday.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman, first of all Dez bobbles the ball after high pointing it (BTW I love this made up term NFL analysts have invented for jumping and trying to catch the football). The steps he takes once he gains control of the pass are all while going to the ground and therefore do not count towards making a football move or establishing possession. The "lunge" is also called "falling down while moving forward". As Pereira and others have said Dez did not extend the football far enough as he was falling to the ground to be considered an overt act and thus a football move. In the entire debate of catch vs not catch only this lunge/fall could really be considered a football move and thus negate the subsequent action of the ball hitting the ground and Dez losing control.

Continuing to post about the steps Bryant took while falling down shows that you do not comprehend the rule. If you want to be taken seriously your argument should rest on the lunge/falling forward action Bryant made. At least you have stopped with your silly assertion that the ball did not touch the ground. I guess you saw the multiple replays from the opposite angle that show the ball hit the ground so there is hope for you.

As I have said before to me it was a catch but by the rulebook it was not. Cowboy fans should be upset that their defense was unable to stop Rodgers with over 4 minutes left in the game knowing that the Packers were going to be conservative and try and run out the clock. It is rare for an offense to be able to run out the clock with that much time remaining in the game when the defense knows what is coming.

I would say Cowboys should upgrade their defense during the off season but they are going to put themselves in cap hell paying Bryant and Murray. Jones is the king of paying for what a player has already accomplished rather than what they will accomplish. There is a 90% chance Murray breaks down next year due to his ridiculous workload this season. Pundits keep saying the Cowboys have no plan to resign him thus why they overused him during the regular season but I do not believe Jerry Jones is that savvy. I think he sees Romo, Bryant and Murray as this generations Aikman, Irving, Smith and will do whatever it takes to keep them together. I mean he just gave their head coach a 5 year 30 million dollar deal after one above .500 season in his 4 years at the helm, imagine what he plans to give to the leagues leading rusher.

Robb
  • Options

<< <i>Sometimes you guys need to think about what type of forum you want to have. I don't think your intentions were to drive other members away, but that's what happens when diplomacy is all but forgotten. Come on guys, show a little tactfulness and don't stay on the offensive all the time. >>

Not to worry. He is tormenting me privately now. In the spirit of caring I'm going to block him before his head explodes. Some people can give it out but they can not take it in return. I should be more cognizant of that perhaps.

MJ