Home Sports Talk

Has Peyton reached the end of the rainbow?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
Perhaps time for Peyton to enjoy retirement. At the age of 39 and a mega-millionaire...his last two playoff performances have been sub-par. How long can a 39 year old athlete play at the pro level well enough to excel as Peyton has done in the past.

Time to hang up the helmet methinks.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should have hung it up last year. He looked awful this whole year.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    It was half way through the year where things started to go south for Peyton. Perhaps he was a bit banged up, but it is clear the end is near.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    dropped passes don't please the masses.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Reached the end of the rainbow about 3 years with multiple surgeries. Fortunately the pot o' gold and the little leprechaun blessed him with a couple of spectacular seasons.

Will be sorry when he leaves the game.

Manning has always sucked in big games . Was this his 8th or 9th home game with a bye ? Has he won 2 of them? It's embarrassing.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Manning has always sucked in big games . Was this his 8th or 9th home game with a bye ? Has he won 2 of them? It's embarrassing. >>

Are you insinuating that one of the greatest QB's off all time is a choke? Or is he in on the fix?

Which is it.

<< <i>

<< <i>Manning has always sucked in big games . Was this his 8th or 9th home game with a bye ? Has he won 2 of them? It's embarrassing. >>

Are you insinuating that one of the greatest QB's off all time is a choke? Or is he in on the fix?

Which is it. >>

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a time that you need to walk away from the game while you still can. Manning has been very fortunate to be able to continue at the level that he has with the injury that he had.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    He could probably make twice as much being a pitchman for every product under the sun, without having to worry about a 350 pound dude trying to kill him.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably is obvious to us all he would not come back unless he has a strong chance to get back to the "Bowl". I don't think he would come back just to pad his career stats/for the $$$ and risk injury, or would he?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    He's still better than 2/3rds of the starters last year.

I bet 2/3rds of the teams would take him for 2015, in general for argument sake. Not factoring future plans etc. Just based on ability.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's still better than 2/3rds of the starters last year.

I bet 2/3rds of the teams would take him for 2015, in general for argument sake. Not factoring future plans etc. Just based on ability. >>

If you were to switch the word "ability" to "knowledge" I would agree with that. Especially if I had a young prospect on the bench that
    had talent that could learn.

If you stay with pure ability at this point in his career, the 2/3rds wont hold up (IMO)
    I understand you cant seperate the body from the brain(it would be very scary if you couldimage ) , but at this
    point, I really think that wisdom is what he has to offer (outside of a select few teams that could use anybody with
    a pulse) Srictly ability makes him very average I think.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I hear he's been playing with a partly torn quad. Let's see how he does in the off season.

If he's tired of Denver I know the Bears would like him. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He's still better than 2/3rds of the starters last year.

I bet 2/3rds of the teams would take him for 2015, in general for argument sake. Not factoring future plans etc. Just based on ability. >>

If you were to switch the word "ability" to "knowledge" I would agree with that. Especially if I had a young prospect on the bench that
    had talent that could learn. >>

I'm not sure Manning is a great guy for a QB to study under. He's well-known for taking every single rep in practice, thus giving his backups no work. I mean, yeah, a young guy can learn from his work ethic and film study but his on-field progress would be severely stunted.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Manning just knows if he doesn't get another ring his brother who isn't even drafted in fantasy leagues can gloat at thanksgiving every year for the rest of his life. Not to mention Manning beat Rex Grossman for his ring, but Eli beat Tom Brady for his rings.
    Nathan Wagner

Peyton's brain still works but he can't play 16 games next year and then throw the ball in the playoffs. He needs to take about 8 games off . He reminds me of one of my favorite Bruins , Cam Neely . There was one season where he could not play back to back games but he still managed a great year. In 93-94 he managed 50 goals in 44 games played . It was the teams 66th game so he didn't get on the 50 goals in 50 games list .

Why can't Denver groom a young quarterback of the future and have Peyton play a reduced schedule next year? Besides him wanting the ball every time I mean.
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with ChiefsFan1st. Manning doesn't need to play to pass on his knowledge. The problem would likely be that he could not ride the pine with the game going on; he would have to be out there.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he retires who will take over the "Omaha" call?image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was obviously playing hurt down the stretch. If he wants to heal up and come back, I expect him to be just as effective as ever. The question will be if he wants to go through the grind. But is he still an effective, if not exceptional QB? Please..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He was obviously playing hurt down the stretch. If he wants to heal up and come back, I expect him to be just as effective as ever. The question will be if he wants to go through the grind. But is he still an effective, if not exceptional QB? Please.. >>

I know he was playing hurt. Im not knocking him by any means. He could come back healthy and be effective. But im not sure
    I agree on the "as ever" part. The "exceptional" part I am sure... thats in the rear view mirror. The mans body has been used
    and abused for several years now. His name will still carry glory from the announcers and commentators (like it should) every
    time a positive play happens. I just wonder at what point is the pain worth it to him. The competition is only getting younger,
    faster, and tougher. Heck, I guess we are all wondering thatimage

Of course, I could be in left field with all of this. image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see Manning break Favres passing yardage record, so I hope he comes back.. I think He will be back to get the record, he is less than 2000 yards away from it I think.