Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions wanted: are these bump candidates? (Updated with results)

I'm working on a sub and right now I only have 4 cards so I'm considering trying to bump some from the current collection. Would you consider subbing any of these again with hope of getting bumped? Would you do a review or crack/submit? Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I just don't see it. The Sanders is definitely the nicest, but it already has the '9' and there is not a 9.5 grade.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be very proud to own that Jerry Rice. Would not look out of place in an 8.5.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. The 2 that intrigue me the most of the group are Jerry rice and patrick Roy. Maybe the lemieux too.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chanes are essentially nil that they will bump Molitor with the smudge.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Nope don't see any that will bump.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tyler Rose received the appropriate grade, methinks. Sweet card -- one of my all-time favorites.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I think Rice has the best potential. Nice cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'd save your money. I don't see any ones that will bump. The bottom right corner keeps that Rice right where it is.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would try the Montana, Rice, Roy, Sanders and Lemieux. Based on the scans they all look high end for their grade and all of their bump values would warrant a $6 gamble. I wouldn't crack, I'd go for a straight review. I'd be willing to bet at least 1 out of the 5 bumps.

Lee
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would try the Montana, Rice, Roy, Sanders and Lemieux. Based on the scans they all look high end for their grade and all of their bump values would warrant a $6 gamble. I wouldn't crack, I'd go for a straight review. I'd be willing to bet at least 1 out of the 5 bumps.

Lee >>

+1
    Couldn't agree more. These were the exact cards I was thinking. Thr molitor looks very nice as well but looks like it has some surface issues.

Good luck if you decide to send them in. If so, post results.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Super Joe seems to have a slight bit of tilt. The Messier and Campbell cards look a little off with regards to centering. Can't really say regarding the others without seeing them in person. Best of luck whatever way you decide to go. Great group of cards!
  • Options
    I would say the Rice looks the best. The Lemieux is also very nice and could be a candidate if it doesn't have tilt (looks like it does but hard to say from picture).
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards but I would say no bump. If you think they have a chance get the best few and try! Best of luck!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO no bump to all

Don't crack out the cards that are not 50-50 or close to it..like Montana
    You might get less of a grade.

All nice cards
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    If you try any, go with Barry and Roy. Rice has 2 or 3 touched corners and every other has slight centering issues or tilt. To be clear: centering issues that would keep PSA from bumping, but NOT anything I would consider an issue in my collection. If be happy to own that Messier.
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys. So I think Messier, Campbell, and Trammell are a no-go. Debating the other 5. I need to get a closer look at the Rice corners and I think I see the tilt you guys are talking about on Montana and Lemiux. With the fixed cost of return shipping at $18 for 1 to 8 items, I may try the 5. Curious if there are more strong opinions.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Forgot to add: Best of luck with any of the ones you send in. Let us know how you do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You guys are exaggerating the effect of tilt on the grade- there are tons of tilted cards in 9 slabs. Some graders kill you for it, some don't. The Montana could easily be an 8.5 (or possibly a 9) if the tilt is the only flaw and the Lemieux could be an 8.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys are exaggerating the effect of tilt on the grade- there are tons of tilted cards in 9 slabs. Some graders kill you for it, some don't. The Montana could easily be an 8.5 (or possibly a 9) if the tilt is the only flaw and the Lemieux could be an 8. >>

I was thinking the same looking at the Lemieux, that could bump up a 1/2 grade.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are exaggerating the effect of tilt on the grade- there are tons of tilted cards in 9 slabs. Some graders kill you for it, some don't. The Montana could easily be an 8.5 (or possibly a 9) if the tilt is the only flaw and the Lemieux could be an 8. >>

This is possible - we are a tough crowd image My thinking is that they seem to be extra tough on reviews and an obvious flaw like that would be an easy thing to point to as holding it back. That said, there are 2 questions: (1) which are reasonably likely bumps? and (2) which are *worth it* to sub for the chance? I'm with the previous poster that the value in a single bump makes doing a bunch of them worth it, even if each one only has an outside shot at success.
  • Options
    Long Awaited Bump Update:

I ended up subbing for review the 5 cards: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Patrick Roy, Barry Sanders and Mario Lemieux.

2 of the 5 bumped a half grade. Jerry Rice to 8.5 and Patrick Roy to 8.5. Overall I'm pleased.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I would take a 40% bump rate any day. Well done.