Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone watching the Stacks Taler sale?

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    There were 3 sede vacante pieces that were all best graded of the respective populations. Unfortunately, I was just a wallflower for this auction. The bamberg went a few hundred lower than I expected, but the cologne and eichstadt did quite well. I think the 1688 cologne piece is one of the top 5 talers in this auction.

GERMANY. Eichstatt. Taler, 1757-MF. NGC MS-67* <-- this grade is unbelievable
    Eichstadt
    $9693

GERMANY. Cologne (Koln). Taler, 1688. Sede Vacante. NGC MS-63
    Cologne
    $5581

GERMANY. Bamberg. Taler, 1693-GFN. Lothar Franz, Freiherr von Schonborn (1693-1729). NGC AU-58
    Bamberg
    $1880

• Options
    Lot 623 was amazing.
    Link
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    The ms-67 certainly has a more crisp strike than my ms-63. If you can get past the toning then it really is an extraordinary coin.

imageimage
  • Options
    Yours is super nice and evenly toned. The 67 is a very busy coin. Having seen it in hand, it is not for everyone but certainly one of a kind.
  • Options
    Perhaps my favorite taler in the auction.

GERMANY. Saxe-Weimar. Taler, 1654. Wilhelm IV (1640-62). NGC MS-63

Link
  • Options
    Rounding out my top favorites in this auction:

GERMANY. Saxony. Albertine Line. Taler, 1687. Johann Georg III (1680-91). NGC AU-58

Link
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Zohar: <<Some amazing pieces!>>

Yes, IMO, the sale of the Rockaway Collection was one of the highlights of the week. I was captivated.

WorldCoinGuy: <<Lot 623 was amazing.>> Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Taler, 1702

This is one of the coins that I wrote about.

The Rockaway Collection of Silver German Coins, mostly Talers

Proof British Gold Coins star in New York
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Excellent job discussing the merits of an MS-67 grade and the significance.

How many collections of this quality and magnitude are locked away in paper envelopes across Europe waiting to see the light of day?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps my favorite taler in the auction.

GERMANY. Saxe-Weimar. Taler, 1654. Wilhelm IV (1640-62). NGC MS-63

agreed!

The 67* looks too artsy - can't explain my feeling about it - its awesome yet...

Z you won/got that Fulda piece? - that's an amazing piece too wow!..unsure its a 66 looks 65 tops but who cares at that level ye know.
  • Options
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

WorldCoinGuy:<<Excellent job discussing the merits of an MS-67 grade and the significance. >>

Thanks

Let us not forget Eric Newman's amazing Two Taler from Emden:

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, part 9: European Coins

MarcMoish: <<Zohar, you won/got that Fulda piece? - that's an amazing piece too wow!..unsure its a 66 looks 65 tops but who cares at that level ye know. >>

I understand Marc's comment. IF I remember correctly, the Fulda coin had the eye appeal that experts would tend to associate with a five, though fulfills the technical criteria for a 67 grade. After considering its originality as well, the assigned 66 grade is accurate, again if I am fairly remembering the coin, which I recollect as being excellent.

WorldCoinGuy<<How many collections of this quality and magnitude are locked away in paper envelopes across Europe waiting to see the light of day? >>

Unconfirmed rumors suggest that this consignment came from a source in the United States. Traditionally, collectors in German speaking societies, on average, have not been nearly as concerned about quality as collectors in the U.S. I hope that there are many collections of high quality, vintage coins in Europe that have been 'off the market' for decades, though I would not count on this being true. I was pleasantly stunned by the Rockaway Collection; the originality and surface quality of many of the Talers are exemplary.

Do members of this forum recollect seeing commensurable collections of Talers or other European Crowns from past centuries?
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me