Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for PSA Members

Looking at the PSA website earlier I was curious, and entered my PCGS member info into their log in place. Was I ever surprised to
find that I was allowed to log in with them! Ummm, that does not mean I can utilize their special authentication services for something
not a coin, does it? I recently won an autographed silver certificate (eBay) and want to have the signature/autograph authenticated...
Will I have to join PSA as a full member to accomplish this?

I know, I could call them in the morning, but..... but, maybe someone here
has a better idea, sooner?
Thanks, Jerry

Comments

• Options
    Anybody can submit to PSA. Members get better rates.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll need to submit for PSA/DNA. There are rarely (never?) any specials for autographs, other than bulk submissions set up by some of the board members willing to pull together 500+ auto'd items. A silver cert would require a larger holder than a trading card, if you want it slabbed, so it's unlikely it would qualify for those even. As Dan mentioned, anyone can submit without being a PSA CC member. Just follow the steps here: Link, check the PSA/DNA Fee Schedule for the auto, and print the Autograph Submission Form. For just a straight authentication for quick resale, the LOA should be sufficient, but encapsulation would prevent tampering and make damaging the item much more difficult if you plan to keep it.

If you're unsure of the authenticity and want any opinions, post a picture or scan here. There are some well qualified auto guys here on the sports card forum in areas other than sports autos. thenavarro is the first that comes to mind.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Non members are charged 15.00 per card, and the card, if I recall has to be valued at 250.00
    or less....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. I called PSA/DNA and the nice people set me straight.
    I used their 'encapsulation' form for my submission. Authentication is $30, grading
    another $10, and $18 S&H. Shipped off this aftn. It's gonna be just like waiting
    for my coin grades... similar time frame, too.
    Happy New Year everyone!

For anyone wanting to see my submission, I finally figured out how to move photos here. I put one on the testing forum, now... Now, let's
    see if it will move here, as well? image

image HOORAY!!!! HOORAY!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!
  • Options

Bump for anyone curious.....
  • Options
    Who is that signed by?
  • Options
    Is that Gene Autry? And why would someone sign a 1 dollar bill? Just curious.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that Gene Autry? And why would someone sign a 1 dollar bill? Just curious. >>

That was my guess. Currency was (is still?) a popular medium for autos: Short Snorter
  • Options

<< <i>Is that Gene Autry? And why would someone sign a 1 dollar bill? Just curious. >>

Yes, signed by Gene Autry. An early cowboy TV series, "Annie Oakley." (circa: Jan '54-Feb '57) starred Gail Davis as "Annie Oakley." Her
    younger brother on the show was Billy Gray, who played "Tagg." Apparently Gene signed this bill for Billy to present to someone? I wish
    I knew more history of the reason for gifting this bill. I have looked for others, and found zero similar.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Cool that its signed on a 1957 Silver Certificate dollar bill, though they are not rare.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Not uncommon to see paper money signed. People often do this when they had nothing else for a person to sign when they randomly meet.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool item! I see signed bills in restaurants and shops, too~usually wishing the owner good luck. Nice that the single is a silver cert, too. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

For anyone who was a wee bit curious, I have received the results of my Gene Autry Silver Cert. submission.

"Questionable Authenticity..." I am bummed out... really. The "Tagg" business was the clincher. I was sure it was.
    Anyone forging Gene's signature would have just done it, period! Why toss in the old Western TV Series, Annie
    Oakley connection? It was an altogether nebulous match, to my mind. Oh well. I want to get a second opinion,
    really I do...

Thought(s) anyone??
  • Options
    Dupe post....
  • Options
    Anyone have similar rejection(s) and attempted a second opinion? JLS or Ole Frank G? ..Or, maybe wait a couple of months
    and send back for another shot? Or, save my time and $ and just spend the darn thing? image
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd let it go.
  • Options
    I am more and more inclined to just do that, and "let it go.."
    Seems in my auld age, I am less and less inclined to fight battles... any kind...
    ...and, 'sides that, Heritage recently sold a Gene Autry autographed GUITAR for a paltry $180.00.
    How much could my Silver Cert be worth? LOL
    I need to find something else to work on, now... Anyone see a decent Satchel Paige?