Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newbie-Morgans-FUN-grading???

My grown daughter received about 80 Morgan dollars from my father. They were collected in the 1970's. She is interested in collecting. I used to help my father with his coins before the 60-65 splits. I do not feel comfortable grading coins since then, so I am no help to her. She is interested in getting some graded/slabbed. We were told, if we take them to the FUN show, PCGS would quickly go thru them and tell us the ones worth grading. When going to their site, I see no such service. Were we misinformed, or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I see bulk submissions at the show and I don't understand how that works and the fees. We plan on going Thurs. morning. Like I said.............newbie. Thanks.

Comments

  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they do but like away there is a fee. Call PCGS bulk Dept and let them know how many she has and they will work with you. You can have them grad all of them and sell off the one's she does not want and use the $$ to buy some of the better dates she may need later. Good luck and image to the funny fram.


    Hoard the keys.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think PCGS will evaluate unless a meet the expert session is going on. But 80 coins is to many.

    You may break into small groups and show various dealers. Don't bombard any dealer with 80 coins, but give them 10 or so and that won't be so intrusive on their time.

    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good info. I will follow up on all suggestions. I had no idea what to do, but I can see where dealers don't need to be overwhelmed with so many coins, when trying to make their livng
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am table 1133, happy to look through a few.

    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I am table 1133, happy to look through a few. >>



    Todd is a good guy, trustworthy, and very knowledgeable too. I recommend you take him up on the offer.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you should be more than able to get skilled graders to offer opinions on a few coins at a time. I'd say put them into 2"X 2" flips or include blank paper inserts in the 2" X 2" foldovers so they can write a grading opinion on the holder. It will be a nightmare trying to remember otherwise.

    If you wind up with a bunch of MS 65 (opinions ) or a bunch of MS 64 (opinions) on scarcer dates take those coins to the PCGS table, sign up for a Collectors Society membership on the spot, submit those coins and save the mailing and insurance costs. Economy submissions take .............Christ, til spring I think, but those will be worth the wait. Your costs will be reduced to the lowest rates possible.

    One coin comes back MS 66 and it pays for the whole exercise since the coins were a gift.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just remembered, the nice folks at Heritage and Stacks set up at those major shows and also will offer no obligation grading opinions for the asking at no charge.

    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    I will be at the show and would be happy to screen your coins for you, 80 morgans should only take a couple minutes to decide which ones are worth grading. Send me a pm and we can arrange to meet.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    You can stop by at my table, Table 905 for a quick informal opinion on those coins.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file