Baseball HOF class has been announced

13»

Comments

• Options
    Meatheadness is a funny word.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Rice sucks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Smoltz, Mussina, and Schilling all have strong cases for the HOF. Smoltz got in, the other two will have to wait. Maybe it's not fair, but that's life. Tim Raines is not in the HOF, but Jim Rice is. That sucks. Smoltz has a Cy Young award, pitched great in the post-season, and is a nice guy. Mussina was under .500 in the post season. He deserved better-too bad. Putting Smoltz ahead of Mussina and Schilling is far from unreasonable. It could have gone differently, but it did not. Get over it.

All three exceed the HOF monitor at baseball-reference.com. Schilling and Smoltz score much higher than Mussina, but the Moose has the highest score on the HOF standards. Schilling is shown as the best comp for Smoltz, Kevin Brown is the best comp for Schilling, and Pettitte is the best comp for Mussina.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Jim Rice sucks.

I don't see how Rickey Henderson is a hall of famer.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I do kind of miss dallasactuary.... pandrews too. He could sure hit it. Maybe he should be in the Hall as well
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Schilling thinks being a Republican hurts his chances. He's probably right.

Curt Schilling, whose stock rose in the Hall of Fame vote this year as his percentage of the vote increased from 29% in 2013 to 39% this year, asserted that he hurt his chances for enshrinement by his outspoken support for the Republican Party.

“I know as a Republican,” the three-time World Series winner held, “there’s some people that really don’t like that.”

Speaking on WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan in Boston, Schilling noted of the voting process of the Baseball Writers Association of America: “Stupid people do stupid things. I’ve seen so many in the past: voters making their vote into a news article, protesting this, or protesting that–except voting the player on his playing merits. That’s normal, I guess. We’re human. We all have bias. We all have prejudice. When Pedro gets 91%, that tells you something’s wrong.”

Forty-nine voters completely left Pedro Martinez off their ballot.

“If you had just said, ‘Vote Kerry,’ you might be in the Hall of Fame now, Curt,” host Gerry Callahan, referencing the World Series MVP’s support for George W. Bush, theorized. Schilling responded in agreement.

A host, who pointed out that Schilling surpassed John Smoltz in WHIP, ERA-plus, winning percentage, and postseason winning percentage, asked why the Braves pitcher won induction into the Hall with 240 more votes than Schilling.

Schilling responded, “Well, I think he got them because of Maddux and Glavine. I think the fact that they won 14 straight pennants. I think his quote-unquote, Swiss Army-knife versatility, as somebody said yesterday–I think he got a lot of accolades from that. I think he got a lot of recognition for that. He’s a Hall of Famer.” He joked, “I think the other big thing is that I think he’s a Democrat, and so …”

Asked if his political outspokenness cost him votes, he continued, “Absolutely. Listen, when human beings do something, anything, there’s bias and prejudice. There are guys who, listen, 9% of the voters did not vote for Pedro. There’s something wrong with the process and some of the people in the process when that happens. I don’t think that it kept me…out, but I do know that there are guys who probably won’t ever vote for me because of the things that I’ve said or did. That’s the way it works.”

Later in the broadcast, host John Dennis opined that it wasn’t Schilling’s GOP leanings that hurt his chances, but his simple blunt openness: “It wasn’t specific to ‘vote Bush.’ It was that he had an opinion about everything, he was not shy about expressing it, and that rubs some people the wrong way.”

Schilling compiled a 216-146 record, with a 3.46 ERA, and 127 ERA+ over twenty seasons. He ranks second all-time in his strikeout-to-walk ratio. Schilling also fanned 300 batters in a season three times and made the All-Star team six times.

His postseason record really sets him apart. He boasted an 11-2 record in 133 1/3 innings, 2.23 ERA, with a sterling 120 strikeouts, and only 25 walks. During the legendary 2004 Red Sox postseason, when bloody sock and all, Schilling heroically pitched on a torn tendon sheath in his ankle to win Game Six of the ALCS in Boston’s historic comeback victory over the New York Yankees.

Schilling says Cooperstown’s snub doesn’t bother him much because he knows that Fred McGriff, Jeff Bagwell, Dale Murphy, and other Hall of Fame-caliber players remain on the outside, too

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Schilling thinks being a Republican hurts his chances. He's probably right. >>

Didn't seem to hinder John Smoltz all that much.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Schilling thinks being a Republican hurts his chances. He's probably right. >>

Didn't seem to hinder John Smoltz all that much. >>

Seems that Smoltz is a Democrat. He hosted a Democratic fundraiser in 2012.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Didn't seem to hinder John Smoltz all that much. >>

Seems that Smoltz is a Democrat. He hosted a Democratic fundraiser in 2012. >>

seems he (financially) rolls in a different direction
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Most rich white guys are republicans. Schilling is hardly an oddity in that regard.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we go from a HOF whinefest, to a juvenile whizzing contest between two wannabe stat experts, to a political discussion.
    What next..."my dad can beat your dad"?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>So we go from a HOF whinefest, to a juvenile whizzing contest between two wannabe stat experts, to a political discussion.
    What next..."my dad can beat your dad"? >>

If somebody could interject race, they would. Too bad, it's the only thing that could make this more absurd and irritating.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Wow Cliff Floyd doesn't get one vote...Nomar gets to stay on the ballot for another year.....

Ballots Cast: 549 Needed for Election: 412
    Votes Player Percentage
    534 Randy Johnson 97.3%
    500 Pedro Martinez 91.1%
    455 John Smoltz 82.9%
    454 Craig Biggio 82.7%
    384 Mike Piazza 69.9%
    306 Jeff Bagwell 55.7%
    302 Tim Raines 55.0%
    215 Curt Schilling 39.2%
    206 Roger Clemens 37.5%
    202 Barry Bonds 36.8%
    166 Lee Smith 30.2%
    148 Edgar Martinez 27.0%
    138 Alan Trammell 25.1%
    135 Mike Mussina 24.6%
    77 Jeff Kent 14.0%
    71 Fred McGriff 12.9%
    65 Larry Walker 11.8%
    64 Gary Sheffield 11.7%
    55 Mark McGwire 10.0%
    50 Don Mattingly 9.1%
    36 Sammy Sosa 6.6%
    30 Nomar Garciaparra 5.5%
    21 Carlos Delgado 3.8%
    4 Troy Percival 0.7%
    2 Aaron Boone 0.4%
    2 Tom Gordon 0.4%
    1 Darin Erstad 0.2%
    0 Rich Aurilia 0.0%
    0 Tony Clark 0.0%
    0 Jermaine Dye 0.0%
    0 Cliff Floyd 0.0%
    0 Brian Giles 0.0%
    0 Eddie Guardado 0.0%
    0 Jason Schmidt 0.0%

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Rice sucks. >>

You know, I get royalties for the use of that phrase.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim Rice sucks. >>

You know, I get royalties for the use of that phrase. >>

Dallasactuary back on the board. Welcome back!

Maybe Jaxxr will read the Rice quote, and then we can have some fun with his methods that show Dave Kingman as comparable to Honus Wagner.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey skin, long time no see. And hey to you, too, grote and WP - glad you're still around.

I checked back in to see if there was a Biggio HOF thread, and to see if I knew any of the people posting in it. It looks like there's a new forum idiot for you to humiliate, even if, like those before him, he never realizes that he's supposed to be humiliated.

I think I've been away long enough; the skull fractures I got when Dr. J made my head explode have completely healed. I don't know if I have the energy to post as much as I used to, but we'll see.

As far as this year's HOF vote goes, the four who made it all deserved it, so no complaints there. Mussina, obviously, was every bit as good as Smoltz so his low vote is ridiculous, but I don't really have anything to add to that. It might be fun to find the old "Ryan Howard Turns Into Dave Kingman" thread. Turns out we were wrong about that - he is much, much worse than Dave Kingman. But, since Kingman was better than Honus Wagner, that's still pretty good.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.