Options

Help identify ancient coin

I am guessing Greek.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    double post image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    nah that's not Melqart that's one of the Ptolemies, it's from Ptolemaic Egypt

I'm not well versed in these so I can't help any further than that

*edit* my guess is Ptolemy II Philadelphos given the look of the portrait and that it says BASILEUS (a term like King)
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Appears to be Ptolemy I, but I can't find the exact coin. Here's a similar one from www.wildwinds.com

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wildwinds no longer allows hotlinking direct to their pictures; now, you need to say something like "Click on this Wildwinds page for Ptolemy I and scroll down to the coin labelled "Svoronos 263".

I will add that the odd flattened deformations at the top and bottom of the OP's coin makes me think that it was once attached to a piece of jewellery and later broken off. This will negatively affect the desirability and value.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wildwinds no longer allows hotlinking direct to their pictures; now, you need to say something like "Click on this Wildwinds page for Ptolemy I and scroll down to the coin labelled "Svoronos 263".

I will add that the odd flattened deformations at the top and bottom of the OP's coin makes me think that it was once attached to a piece of jewellery and later broken off. This will negatively affect the desirability and value. >>

I was able to post a pic of that exact coin; no "hotlinking" issues.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Ptolemy II, 285-246 B.C.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.