Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

50th Anniversary Kennedy Halves are NOT part of the US Mint Modern Commemorative program!

The 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Halves are NOT part of the Modern Commemorative series and should not be included in the PCGS Set Registry in the Modern Commemorative series. The United States Mint does not list the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy halves as part of the US Commemorative Coin Program. Though they may be "commemorative" coins, they are not part of the US Mint Commemorative Coin Program. The Mint produces 2 commemoratives each year and in 2014 they produced the Baseball Hall of Fame coins & the Civil Rights coins. The special Kennedy halves are not part of this series. Please re-think the decision, made by PCGS, to include the 6 2014 Kennedy coins in the US Modern Commemoratives Set Registry? They do not belong there.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told BJ that I am personally fine including the coins in BOTH the Commems and Half Dollar sets. No biggie being in both places and making both sets of collectors happy. That was a month ago and I have heard nothing since.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    But they are NOT part of the US Commemorative program. I don't think they need to be included in the US Commemorative Registry.
  • Options
    The brain trust at PCGS has already determined they are commems. The Kennedy guys are just trying to get them in a proper place too. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies Wondercoin.
    They (the PCGS brain trust) should ask the US Mint if they belong as part of the US Commemorative Coin Program or not.
    Again, they are NOT part of the commemorative program and don't belong in the commemorative registry.
    Come on PCGS BRAIN TRUST, use your brain on this one. Don't stick the Kennedy coins in this set just to give them a home.
  • Options
    Your best bet Chad is to write BJ and politely discuss the issue.

Perhaps even invite her to this thread.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Your best bet Chad is to write BJ and politely discuss the issue.

Perhaps even invite her to this thread.

Wondercoin >>

I emailed BJ this morning. Thanks
  • Options
    I like the 50th Anniversary Kennedy halves and own them, however they are not part of the US Commemorative Coin Program and belong in a set of their own.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Kennedy's and several Commemorative sets as well and I think the main issue is why are they not in the Kennedy sets?

I could imagine the silver and clad special finish uncirculated, the "high relief" and the reverse proof 2014 Kennedy's to be in the Kennedy set as multiple variations of the same design, however the gold Kennedy is a new concept and to me it is more like a true 50th anniversary commemorative than a real Kennedy half. So I still vote for the new Kennedy's being a bit of both and think the gold Kennedy is arguably more a commemorative coin than the other varieties.

The Mint does not impress me much as to their official designations.

According to Webster:

Full Definition of COMMEMORATIVE
    : intended as a commemoration; especially : issued in limited quantities for a limited time to honor or feature someone or something <a commemorative stamp>

I think the 2014 Kennedy's are clearly issued in limited quantities for a limited time and are commemoratives by that definition.
  • Options

<< <i>I have the Kennedy's and several Commemorative sets as well and I think the main issue is why are they not in the Kennedy sets?

I could imagine the silver and clad special finish uncirculated, the "high relief" and the reverse proof 2014 Kennedy's to be in the Kennedy set as multiple variations of the same design, however the gold Kennedy is a new concept and to me it is more like a true 50th anniversary commemorative than a real Kennedy half. So I still vote for the new Kennedy's being a bit of both and think the gold Kennedy is arguably more a commemorative coin than the other varieties.

The Mint does not impress me much as to their official designations.

According to Webster:

Full Definition of COMMEMORATIVE
    : intended as a commemoration; especially : issued in limited quantities for a limited time to honor or feature someone or something <a commemorative stamp>

I think the 2014 Kennedy's are clearly issued in limited quantities for a limited time and are commemoratives by that definition. >>

Then wouldn't that mean that the Anniversary Silver Eagles are commemoratives too?
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I've forwarded my opinion to the registry person. I believe it's a special mint set, as does she. Back in 1965-1967, there were no proof sets. Yet they contained 40% silver. And with fresh dies they would issue proof like coins. Now we have the same thing happening. I believe the same process is being used, therefore, they should still be called SMS and PL and DMPL is warranted, I haven't seen any myself. Where do they belong? In the proof set like before. Although they ARE issuing proof sets, the processes is the same so I believe this should still be an SMS coin. Any errors should be annotated as they did before. Of course is just my 50 cents.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got word that the coins are being taken out of the commemorative category and placed into the Kennedy Sets.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>Just got word that the coins are being taken out of the commemorative category and placed into the Kennedy Sets. >>

I received an e-mail from BJ to this affect as well... Great news in that our collective voice was both heard and taken into account by the powers that be.

In this message, BJ also solicited feedback on the idea if of creating 2014 JFK "holder" sets, akin to the 2011-'12 Silver Eagles, as during those years, so many different PCGS holders were released. My thoughts? While I would have no objection the creation of such a set, I would also personally have little to no interest in collecting such a set as I remain a firm believer in the ol’ adage, ‘buy the coin; not the holder’. As such, I’d have no interest in purchasing the same coin multiple times over, for no other reason than having them encapsulated with a different label. Would this do anything positive for these coins (aside from possibly creating a higher demand/driving up for the 'rarer' label variations)? Just my 50C worth...
  • Options
    At this point since the Kennedy's were deemed Commemoratives and they were put into the Modern Commemorative Coin Sets they should be left in The Modern Commemorative Coin sets.

Since they are also Kennedy's they should be included in The Kennedy Sets as well.

I purchased the Kennedy's simply because they were put in The Commemorative Coin Sets.

Removing them now would not be right.

JMHO, GrandAm image
  • Options
    "At this point since the Kennedy's were deemed Commemoratives and they were put into the Modern Commemorative Coin Sets they should be left in The Modern Commemorative Coin sets."

I agree 100%. I believe the coins should be in both sets at this point. Why upset dozens of Commem collectors when they purchased the coins only because they were placed in the Commem set in the first place?

You have my vote Grandam if you care to follow up with BJ. In fact, my suggestion was to have the coins in both places. More slabs to be produced by PCGS. No downside that I see.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Good decision! They are not part of the US Modern Commemorative program and do not belong in the Modern Commemorative Set Registry.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At this point since the Kennedy's were deemed Commemoratives and they were put into the Modern Commemorative Coin Sets they should be left in The Modern Commemorative Coin sets.

Since they are also Kennedy's they should be included in The Kennedy Sets as well.

I purchased the Kennedy's simply because they were put in The Commemorative Coin Sets.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Oh Gosh Gary!

I give $1.59 for each of them just so you can get rid of them! image

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>At this point since the Kennedy's were deemed Commemoratives and they were put into the Modern Commemorative Coin Sets they should be left in The Modern Commemorative Coin sets.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Oh Gosh Gary!

I give $1.59 for each of them just so you can get rid of them! image

image >>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee,,,

Thank-you for your support image

If you make that $1.59 face in Gold coin we have a deal image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Only reason I purchased two MS70's in the silver and made the Clads in MS67 was for that set which I have at 100% and now have 4 coins with nowhere to go. image
    BTW all have the Anniversary labels.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you make that $1.59 face in Gold coin we have a deal

I would still be loosing money.image